Home General Discussion
Options

Lighting up that special cigar

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Many of us I'm sure have that one cigar we have had in our humidors for awhile waiting for the perfect moment to spark it up. What cigar do you have waiting for that special occasion?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats a great question. I actually have a few.
    i have a GoF thats been in my humidor since 06.
    i have a La Aurora Preferito Emerald from 09,
    i have a couple of Ratzillas that i got in Nicaragua
    i guess thats about it, but i have many cigars that i think twice about lighting up. i feel that there are times that i want a cigar but i "dont need anything special"
    that is a mentality i need to get over.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I have quite a few actually. Whenever I finally get around to celebrate getting engaged, 3 months ago, I have an Opus X waiting. I have a Cohiba Siglo VI for my wedding/honeymoon that Diamondog so graciously hooked me up with. And have about 5-6 other ISOM's hanging out in there that'll be used for special occasions and a Padron Family Reserve 1964, Ashton ESG, Camacho PE etc etc.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    kuzi16:
    i have many cigars that i think twice about lighting up. i feel that there are times that i want a cigar but i "dont need anything special"
    I do this all the time!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I got a couple of the GoF Carlito from 2004 (got in 2006 I think) and a couple boxes of both DC and Carlito from the 2005 release. Also a box each from the 2006 release. I also have 2 Opus X from the 2004 Forbidden X release. I smoke 1 GoF from each blend each year. I got about 25 of the DC 30th Anniv that I got in 2007. I smoke them the same as the GoF. I also have a box of Partagas 150 and I smoke 1 a year. I have 1 Anejo #55 that got in 2008. And I have a few ISOMs that I got in 2008 when I went to Italy. These are usually my hardest to smoke. The exceptions are the Don Arturo Gran Anniverxarios that I got either last year or this year.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    kuzi16:
    i have many cigars that i think twice about lighting up. i feel that there are times that i want a cigar but i "dont need anything special"
    I do this all the time!
    I have a serious problem with this as well. I've actually seriously considered bombing away some of the sticks I'm saving for the "right time" just so they quit taunting me...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I've got a few Cohiba Reserva sticks from a humidor of 30 that dates back to 2002. As I start to run out of these, I find that I save them for special occasions rather than smoking them just because they're great!
    Other than that, I find that I smoke what I have...high end or not depending on what I feel like having.

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I have 1 gifted SLR that I am waiting on and a few Opus X that are being stored for a special occasion
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cohiba Gran Reserva....will be fired up December 2 2014...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Opus DC from 2004, a pair of BHK 52, an OR Don Carlos Edicion de Annivarsario DR, Padron FR 45 Maduro and Natural, a pair of OR 858 Sungrowns, HdM DC (ISOM) from 2006, sealed box of Lost City DRs, and a partial box of Lost City Toros... these are the cigars I kick myself trying not to smoke...
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have a GOF, a VSG, a Camacho PE, a Armada, and a few other sticks that I have been keeping for over a year and don;t plan on going to anytime soon. My biggest fear is that when I do, they will be un-enjoyable. I think of my constantly over filled humi's and all the space and all the cigars I didn't buy because of those sticks taking up space. They better be good!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I've got some Opus and Padron 45's chillin in the humi as well as some Cohiba Maduro Genios 5's and a Partagas Serie D No.4 that won't get touched for a very long time. It's not like I have a problem lighting them on fire though.....

• Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    Partagas Serie D No.4 is the one in my humi that I can't seem to find the right time for. I have some Opus X and God of Fire that are one level below, but I can always buy more of those. The Partagas was a gift and I have no known way of procuring more.
  • Options
    I have the box of Padron 45s that I smoke only on my boys' birthdays and 2 ISOMs...a Monticristo and H.Uppman that I am patiently waiting for the right occasion.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I have a box of Padilla 1932's that I keep for special occasions. Only had one from this box thus far. Maybe I need to relax my idea of what a special occasion is.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    I have a box of Padilla 1932's that I keep for special occasions. Only had one from this box thus far. Maybe I need to relax my idea of what a special occasion is.
    I got it, smoke one in honor of this thread! LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I really don't have a "special cigar". I have cigars that I try to only smoke once a year because their so damn expensive. And then there are my 6 rex's, which I cannot seem to smoke, since I can't get anymore.....
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    kevin1323:
    Partagas Serie D No.4 is the one in my humi that I can't seem to find the right time for. The Partagas was a gift and I have no known way of procuring more.
    When you find the "right time" for that Partagas, let us know how it was? I enjoy that cigar so much that it is (and has been for a while) almost part of my regular rotation. I have never had a bad one. I am taking a couple with me for my last vacation of the summer, along with Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios and a Cohiba Sublime. To me, a vacation is ALWAYS THE RIGHT TIME FOR A GOOD CIGAR OR 3.

• Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I really don't have a "special cigar". I have cigars that I try to only smoke once a year because their so damn expensive. And then there are my 6 rex's, which I cannot seem to smoke, since I can't get anymore.....

I'm with you. Life is too short to put off smoking a good cigar if I feel like it. Like I said in another forum, every day I don't wake up dead is a special day!
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Got a box of my fathers for my boys birthdays. Doing that take a stick right a note thing someone else talked about. I did have an Opus X that was sitting for when we brought him home, but its been burned down now :-)

Other than that a few 5v 2010s that me and a friend smoke on his kids birthday. His baby was born in 2010. I have a tat face waiting on this years hallowen and a couple of ISOM waiting.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Krieg:
    Many of us I'm sure have that one cigar we have had in our humidors for awhile waiting for the perfect moment to spark it up. What cigar do you have waiting for that special occasion?
    I say Burn em as long as yout nor aging them. hahaha.

In all seriousness though I've had a few special occassion cigars in the past (Camacho PE, Padron 26, and 64, Fuente Don Carlos, etc) that I've saved and had a hard time firing up, but then I just started burning through them, and for me it was pretty liberating. I just figured that if their good enough then I'll get more, if their not then no biggie. So anything in my humi is smokable at any point in time and that works for me, probably not for most though, and I get that.

Currently I have my first Opus X waiting for the right time but that just means I've heard you should put a year on it to get the full experience so I'm gonna do that and then fire it up on some random tuesday after a crappy day of work when I feel like treating myself to something nice.
  • Options
    TokinstogieTokinstogie Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Hmm, I don't look at it that way, when the occation arrives, I dig around in the hummi and pick out a winner. I have a good amount of sticks over 10 years old, some even in the 20+ range, so, I forgot what I have, but I'll tell you, when I pick out a good one that has a lot of age on it, that becomes the special occation........
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    boydmcgowan:
    Krieg:
    I say Burn em as long as yout nor aging them. hahaha.

In all seriousness though I've had a few special occassion cigars in the past (Camacho PE, Padron 26, and 64, Fuente Don Carlos, etc) that I've saved and had a hard time firing up, but then I just started burning through them, and for me it was pretty liberating. I just figured that if their good enough then I'll get more, if their not then no biggie. So anything in my humi is smokable at any point in time and that works for me, probably not for most though, and I get that.

Currently I have my first Opus X waiting for the right time but that just means I've heard you should put a year on it to get the full experience so I'm gonna do that and then fire it up on some random tuesday after a crappy day of work when I feel like treating myself to something nice.
    I've heard a lot of things on aging those Opus X, everything from they are ready right away all the way up to 3 years. They come with 3 years of age on them so I am going to try on here on Oct 12, 1 year before my wedding and see how I like it. I just got 6 here in the last 2 weeks and intend to put some age on them for very special occasions, I have plenty of other 'nicer' gars that aren't premium pricetags for the weekly smoke.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    La Aurora, preferidos emerald & saphire,
    GOF
    Camacho PE
    Padron 1964
    Cohiba Puro
    AF SS
    Cuvee
    Liga Privada t52 & No 9
    Illusione MJ12
    Di Fazio Picoso
    MOW Armada
    Vijae C-4
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have a box of 2009 Oliva V maduro. One of those will be lit up August 27th. Black belt test for Tae Kwon Do.

The rest of the box might sit for a while.
  • Options
    i dont have a special yet but i think we all know when that moment is right
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 2 padron 64 maduros waiting until my wedding in may! By then, they'll just about have a year on em. Maybe not a ridiculously high end smoke, but they are special to me. Never lit one up, and Im hoping they are as good as everyone says. Itll just be another small thing to look forward to on that day. I can't wait! :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Krieg:
    JudoChinX:
    I got it, smoke one in honor of this thread! LOL
    Not a bad idea! I may have to do that...
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario Robusto that I will smoke it on October 28, 2011, the one year anniversary of buying my house. Other than that I don't have any other "special" moment cigars; I do have some nice cigars and when I smoke them that will be the special moment.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Monte Cristo Les Cigar Des Artes (I have a half box that I'm just sitting on)
    I have a Cigar that I rolled myself in the Dominican Republic (probably going to be plugged!)
    Partagas Serie D No. 4 from 2008 (I have about 10 left from a box)
    I have a three bags of Sampler Cubans I got that are a mix, but date all the way back to 2002
    A La Aurora Preferido Sapphire from Christmas 3 years ago
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I smoked a Cohiba Black gigante right after my wedding... I gave 1 to my dad (who performed the ceremony), and I am saving the last 1 for my 5 yr wedding anniversary... still got a couple years for that one...