Home General Discussion

Largest Tobacco Companies Sue Government!!!

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
http://news.yahoo.com/tobacco-firms-sue-fda-over-graphic-warnings-003529417.html

Not sure many of you heard of this but the skivvy is that the govt wants to make packages of cigarettes have pictures of black lungs and dead people. Why? Well because some feel that it will make people more aware.

I personally think this is going way too far. Already the govt taxes the hell out of tobacco and really I don't think it's fair (yeah well what is anymore) when there are so many other things that could be taxed if needed. Targeting one industry is just childish.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Targeting one industry is just childish.
    I don't think that's quite right...they view tobacco users as the childish ones, they are just looking out for out best interests because we can't take care of ourselves. I'm glad the government is here to tell me what I should and shouldn't do...[/sarcasm]
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is completely ridiculous. I guess next comes images of severed hands on lawnmowers boxes, and car wrecks on beer bottles... exactly as joz said its removing responsibility from us as individuals. We apparently can't be held responsible for our own decisions, and now its the govts job to take care of us. What a load of BS. And talk about infringing on business owners rights. I saw where kuzi read "the fountianhead" a while back, if he read That and "Atlas shrugged" I bet he has an opionion on this.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • eh i dont smoke cigarettes anymore but i think they are taking it to far next will the boxes my cigars come in have a black lung on the outside?
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous is too soft of a word for this bullshit. We already have a sin tax on cigs and booze. Why not put a huge tax on fast food? Look at the obesity in our country.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I always love it when my government uses taxes and regulations to steer us idiot citizens towards the path of righteousness.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    This is completely ridiculous. I guess next comes images of severed hands on lawnmowers boxes, and car wrecks on beer bottles... exactly as joz said its removing responsibility from us as individuals. We apparently can't be held responsible for our own decisions, and now its the govts job to take care of us. What a load of BS. And talk about infringing on business owners rights. I saw where kuzi read "the fountianhead" a while back, if he read That and "Atlas shrugged" I bet he has an opionion on this.
    Do you think they'll resort to pictures of the clap and aids victims on condom boxes...?/not that I use those damn things..
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Do you think they'll resort to pictures of the clap and aids victims on condom boxes...?/not that I use those damn things..
    Hahaha, don't doubt it. That, and pics of what comes out after a liposuction (anyone see fight club?) and arteries exploded by plaque buildup on hamburger boxes.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    Ridiculous is too soft of a word for this bullshit. We already have a sin tax on cigs and booze. Why not put a huge tax on fast food? Look at the obesity in our country.
    Dude, if you put a huge tax on fast food, it won't be cheap anymore. The dollar menu will die!! NOOOOooOoOOoooooo....
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah if they put a huge tax on fast food moms would have to start cooking again. Can't have that.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Ultimately I don't think putting those pictures on the boxes will dissuade most habitual cigarette smokers. There's so much information out there supporting the adverse effects of cigarette smoking, I don't believe putting pictures of diseased lungs and brains on the packs is necessary. I was up in Montreal not to long ago and that's what was on the packs up there and that didn't seem to stop anyone. Personally, I don't care. There's always gonna be some ass out there who smokes a pack a day for thirty years, gets cancer, and then sues the tobacco company. If it's cuts back on that type of litigation, the why not. Just remeber what Dennis Leary said, "They could put the cigarettes in a black pack, with a skull and crossbones on it, called Tumors, and people will be lining up around the corner saying 'I can't wait to get my hands on these f@cking things!'"
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Rhamlin:
    Yeah if they put a huge tax on fast food moms would have to start cooking again. Can't have that.
    Exactly. God forbid.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was funny when I saw those Cigarette Ads (Mainly Newport and Marlboro) that showed people, usually a couple, having some fun in a active environment...

I always thought to myself that "Those people are doing things that CIGAR smokers do, not cigarette smokers!"

I don't laugh with my girlfriend after a round of golf over a pack of Newport 100's!!! IT's a DAMN CIGAR!
  • Sad thing is, they will wind up putting those pictures on cig packs. What will happen then, though, is kids will start collecting them and trading them like they are Pokemon cards...side thought, why would any parent buy a card/toy for a child that literally translates to "pocket monster"?