Home General Discussion
Options

Finally a better cigar.....

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I really really like the GH Vintage 2002 Robusto.
Maybe I'm in a "rut", I don't know.
For the last few weeks I have been smoking many different types/brands of cigars, now that at least a portion of my modest collection has at least 2 to 3 months humi time (not a lot I know.)
I must have smoked 10 different cigars, each of them cost me at least $1.00 to $2.50 MORE per stick than the $2/ea paid for the GH Vintage 2002 Robusto - deal prices not "retail" of course.
Not ONE of them compared to the GH in my amateur opinion. Now, that may be a good thing for me since the GH is such a bargain. But I was starting to wonder if maybe I was in a "flavor rut", and, in a weird way, "addicted" to the GH in some way (for lack of a better explanation.)

Well today that streak ended (finally.)
Had my first MoW Toro, and actually liked it more than a GH.
I had the MoW Ruination Belicoso a few days ago, and liked it quite a bit as well, but it didn't push the GH aside in any way. But the MoW Toro did.

Comments

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    MOW blends are awesome, probably my favorite front-to-back brand around
  • Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    I went through a similar phase not too long ago either. Everything I smoked, I just seemed not to enjoy. For a second, I though maybe I was over cigars. But then I smoked, also MOW toro I believe, and I LOVED it. So it occurred to me, I wasn't over cigars, I was just smoking the wrong sticks ha. The MOW is definitely awesome
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I really like the MoWRuin stick. My all time fave. It has a character that I can't really explain. It has a really strong dense full tobacco flavor is all I can come up with. I like it just a little below being overhumidified, more wet than balanced humidity. I find that it really puts out the flavor and aroma that I really like from a cigar. So far in the half a year that I first smoked it and close to a year that I started smokign cigars I have tried to find a cheaper brand that has the same flavor as MoWRuin but haven't found any. I guess if I want to have full flavored ligero cigars I'll have to pay for it.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Schrooz:
    I really like the MoWRuin stick. My all time fave. It has a character that I can't really explain. It has a really strong dense full tobacco flavor is all I can come up with. I like it just a little below being overhumidified, more wet than balanced humidity. I find that it really puts out the flavor and aroma that I really like from a cigar. So far in the half a year that I first smoked it and close to a year that I started smokign cigars I have tried to find a cheaper brand that has the same flavor as MoWRuin but haven't found any. I guess if I want to have full flavored ligero cigars I'll have to pay for it.
    I know it doesnt beat the ruination but have you tried the Cuba libre one? Im expecting good things from these after bout a year rest, There good rott, but these are one of my experimental ltr sticks.. Got 6 mo on em now.

there was a time I experienced the same thing with my fuller bodied smokes even a couple 5 dollar sticks were leaving me disappointed. was only smoking bout 2/3rds and then chucking them..Finally my meh streak broke. Could of been me, could of been the sticks..IDK
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The Kid:
    Schrooz:
    I know it doesnt beat the ruination but have you tried the Cuba libre one? Im expecting good things from these after bout a year rest, There good rott, but these are one of my experimental ltr sticks.. Got 6 mo on em now.

there was a time I experienced the same thing with my fuller bodied smokes even a couple 5 dollar sticks were leaving me disappointed. was only smoking bout 2/3rds and then chucking them..Finally my meh streak broke. Could of been me, could of been the sticks..IDK
    Great call, Kid!

Cuba Libre One is what I smoked whenever I wanted a Ruination, but was unwilling to "get rid" of one...

NOW, I smoke Cuba Libre One prob 3 to 1 to the Ruination. It's not as "complete" as a Ruination (hope that makes sense), but the fact that you can get em in boxes for like $3-$4/stick makes it more than worth being a staple in your full-bodied rotation. Great ROTT for sure! The most rested CLO I smoked had about 4 months on it, and it showed potential for a long term ager... But I feel like it will settle more into the med-body range with 3+ years on it. imho
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    KingoftheCove:
    I really really like the GH Vintage 2002 Robusto.
    Maybe I'm in a "rut", I don't know.
    For the last few weeks I have been smoking many different types/brands of cigars, now that at least a portion of my modest collection has at least 2 to 3 months humi time (not a lot I know.)
    I must have smoked 10 different cigars, each of them cost me at least $1.00 to $2.50 MORE per stick than the $2/ea paid for the GH Vintage 2002 Robusto - deal prices not "retail" of course.
    Not ONE of them compared to the GH in my amateur opinion. Now, that may be a good thing for me since the GH is such a bargain. But I was starting to wonder if maybe I was in a "flavor rut", and, in a weird way, "addicted" to the GH in some way (for lack of a better explanation.)

Well today that streak ended (finally.)
    Had my first MoW Toro, and actually liked it more than a GH.
    I had the MoW Ruination Belicoso a few days ago, and liked it quite a bit as well, but it didn't push the GH aside in any way. But the MoW Toro did.

Don't be scared of falling in love with GH V2002! That's a great stick. Period. The price just sweetens the deal, and jumps it into a "bang for the buck" catogory that most sticks will never even come close to!

If you want a LOT of flavor at an affordable price, I strongly recommend the LPH Black Pearl Morado. $3/stick or so.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    BigT06:
    The Kid:
    Schrooz:

Great call, Kid!

Cuba Libre One is what I smoked whenever I wanted a Ruination, but was unwilling to "get rid" of one...

NOW, I smoke Cuba Libre One prob 3 to 1 to the Ruination. It's not as "complete" as a Ruination (hope that makes sense), but the fact that you can get em in boxes for like $3-$4/stick makes it more than worth being a staple in your full-bodied rotation. Great ROTT for sure! The most rested CLO I smoked had about 4 months on it, and it showed potential for a long term ager... But I feel like it will settle more into the med-body range with 3+ years on it. imho
    Haven't tried CLOs. On my list for next purchase now.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the CLO. It's great when you don't really want all the spice of a ruin.