Home Cigar 101
Options

What Scotch do you prefer with your Cigars????

2»

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Rare Breed Barrell Proof Wild Turkey......another one you can forget everything you have ever heard about Turkey just buy a bottle, you will not be dissapointed , and if you are, just close it up and ship to me ;)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive been rather mum on this topic and watching it for a while
    I would have to go to my favorite scotch to have with a smoke - definately an Oban 14.
    Nice and smooth with just enough smoke on your palate.
    Other than that the next ones on the list would be Lagavulin 16
    Talisker - Distillers Select Edradour - Smallest distillery in scotland has a clear flavor of almonds - Yum!
    This one would probably be great with a NUB Conn.
    I have had Makers Mark, but definately prefer Woodford Reserve!
  • Options
    If you like Woodford you will like Buffalo Trace
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I usually drink Jameson(regular and 12), Buffalo Trace, Tullamore Dew(regular and 12), Bushmills 16 year, Bulliet, Red B.r.e.a.s.t (cant believe that got edited) or Makers Mark. Of the scotches that i have had, Macallan(not sure how aged, i think it was 12), Arberlour, Laphroaig and Glenlivet were really good. I've tried more scotch that i dont like than i do like. lovem Love, LOVE irish whiskey though.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I'm with you, definitely prefer the Irish.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Jetmech_63:
    I usually drink Jameson(regular and 12), Buffalo Trace, Tullamore Dew(regular and 12), Bushmills 16 year, Bulliet, Red B.r.e.a.s.t (cant believe that got edited) or Makers Mark. Of the scotches that i have had, Macallan(not sure how aged, i think it was 12), Arberlour, Laphroaig and Glenlivet were really good. I've tried more scotch that i dont like than i do like. lovem Love, LOVE irish whiskey though.
    I thought regular Jameson was 12. The 18 is tasty, too.

I don't care for the really peaty scotches. Both Laphroiag and Bruichladdich are too much for me. I'll stick to my Balvenie and Macallan, thanks.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Jetmech_63:
    I thought regular Jameson was 12. The 18 is tasty, too.

I don't care for the really peaty scotches. Both Laphroiag and Bruichladdich are too much for me. I'll stick to my Balvenie and Macallan, thanks.

Nope. There is Jameson and Jameson 1780(aged 12 years) there is also Jameson 18 which isnt as good as the 12. The 12 has real sherry like qualities with an extremely smooth copper pot still taste, its an awsome drink. Jameson also makes Midleton. I have no words to describe it, maybe smooth, pronounced sweetness, balanced oak and a slight touch of earthiness. My wife got me a bottle about 4 years ago($140 a pop!) and i opened it when i made Chief. I still have some left. Get a Bottle of 1780, it's night and day from regular Jameson.
  • Options
    lvlawlvlaw Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I love a good glass of scotch with a cigar.  My favorites are the 15 yo Glenfiddich and the Laphroig.  If you're willing to go blended, the Johnnie Walker black label is a can't miss.  But they defintiely go best with the earthier tasting cigars.
  • Options
    Glenlivet 18 year on the rocks..
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Okay so I had some B&J and hated it. Now I know scotch is popular so I'm trying to figure out which to try. Now I love pendleton whiskey, I love congac. Any ideas?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've never had either of those, Feebs, but I'll recommend Balvenie. It's a good, smooth scotch that isn't so peaty it knocks you on your ass.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Okay so I had some B&J and hated it. Now I know scotch is popular so I'm trying to figure out which to try. Now I love pendleton whiskey, I love congac. Any ideas?
    Try Johnnie Walker Black label. It is nice and smooh and not too pricy so if you don't dig it it isn't a big hit on the wallet. And it was Winston Churchill's favorite drink, can't go wrong there.
  • Options
    I usually stick the standard Capt & Coke, or this may sound wierd Capt Morgan Tatoo and Dr. Pepper. Alien, how's the CM Private Stock. My wife got me some for Valentine's Day. Haven't cracked it yet though.
  • Options
    blustar4life:
    I usually stick the standard Capt & Coke, or this may sound wierd Capt Morgan Tatoo and Dr. Pepper. Alien, how's the CM Private Stock. My wife got me some for Valentine's Day. Haven't cracked it yet though.
    It's a whole different ball game. It is probably my favorite drink, so smooth you can drink it straight and it mixes very well with about anything. It has a very nice oak flavor to it and is on the sweet side over all. If it were $50 a bottle, I would still buy it, it is that good, no ****.
  • Options
    Funny how taste's differ, I bought a fifth of the Private Stock and thought it was rough at best. Had maybe 2-3 mixes outta it and gave the rest to a co-worker.
  • Options
    Really? Man, I love that stuff. It is the best rum I have ever had, and I have tried quite a few. Oh well, like you said, different people dig different things.
  • Options
    alien have you tried 10 Cane and/or Tortuga Gold
  • Options
    Yes and yes. The Tortuga was good, but I was dissapointed in the 10 Cane. I thought it was going to be much better (10 Cane) for as much as it cost. I still like the Captain Morgan Private Stock better.
  • Options
    Yea the Tortuga is my go to rum
  • Options

..sup fellas. This is my first post since bookmarking this site over a year ago. Anyways, my brother in law got me into cigars about a year ago while watching the Giants/Pats Superbowl. We were smoking some Carlos Torano cameroons, and sipping on Maker's Mark...good combo, and i've been hooked ever since.... however....

We were smoking with one of his friends during the last superbowl, and he was dipping the head of the cigar into his whiskey, but just barely, and he did this from time to time. I tried it, and it was pretty damned satisfying...do you guys do this when smoking?

Best regards,

B1D

• Options
    First welcome bd1 , I have heard of people doing this but have not myself.....as with most things cigar related , its personal preference, if you enjoy the taste i would say by all means do it ....anyway welcome to the board...great bunch of guys here and a lot of insight ...enjoy
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Well, Burn 1, why did you stay quiet for so long... It seems we all have a lot in common. This is the first time I remember anyone mentioning that practice. Although my father-in-law use to dip his cigars in Brandy. I thought it was because his cigars tasted bad ( El Producto) and the Brandy made them tolerable.
  • Options

Thanks gmil...it's good to be here!

Hey kaspera...kinda hard to explain why i've been so quiet bro. I think that part of the reason was because i went to my B&M to buy a box of cigars for my birthday, and i paid something like $200 bucks for 25 Torano's....Being a newbie, i didnt really look around first, and just figured that i liked these cigars, so what the heck. Then i got to thinking about how much i paid, and wondered if  i paid too much, so i came here to see how much moolah that i could've saved, and man was i pissed!

I understand supporting the B&M shops, because you can always go there to drop in and pick up something new that you wanna try without the wait...but dayum! the mark-up they add on is nuts!

So anyways, i got hooked on the forums, and the topics and realized that there are alot of  really cool folks sharing their advice and experience.

Btw.. i also like brandy with my smoke...E&J VSOP is my weapon of choice with a maduro..

Cheers guys!

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Well, Burn 1.. You gotta save a buck when you can, and online, here is a good place to start. Look for deals and you will save even more. Friday deals here are great. I like the Torano Signature, and the Casa Torano, both far less expensive than you paid for that last box, but that was yesterday..