Home Cigar 101

Cigar Oasis/Hydra Electric humidifiers ?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which is better and how quiet are they?

Comments

• grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    I think they are the same just different branding. If you look at the pics of them the bodies ar the same just different colors. Go with were you can find the cheapest.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    I have one made by Le Veil but I think they are all pretty much the same. It can't be heard outside the humidor.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Pretty much the same; only difference is that Hydra has a DC power out - both Hydra and CO have the ability to run fans when the unit turns on/is spinning it's fan, but only Hydra has a DC power out so you can have the fans going even when the unit isn't blowing it's own fan when RH gets low.

If you don't use fans, there's really no difference
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. I know Oasis has a battery pack but does it also act as a backup power source if you lose electric or do you have to change it manually? Looks like manually from the video.
    Rhamlin:
    Thanks for the info guys. I know Oasis has a battery pack but does it also act as a backup power source if you lose electric or do you have to change it manually? Looks like manually from the video.
    Not 100%, but I don't think it's backup; I think it's alternate power source - not meant to put batteries in for power outages, so much as "there's no outlet to plug into, and I really need this to work now" kind of (does that make any sense? kinda tipsy right now)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I can only speak as to the Oasis' my friend. Mine (2 of em) produce a bery quiet humming outside the 500ct humi's they are in when the fans are going, but unless you are on top of them in an otherwise silent room you probably wont even notice. And the batteries are not a UPS unfortunately.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sorry about the double post here, but thought of something just as I hit the post button on the last one... keep a pack of the correct size batteries right next to the humi, and BAM! Instant backup power supply. You would just have to put them in the unit and you're good to go.

Hope this helped!

That's what I figured. To bad, I'm surprised someone hasn't made one with a battery backup. Be nice to know that when your out of town for a week or more you can rest assured your smokes will be ok.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Seems like a computer UPS would work. Not sure what the juice to time ratio would be for this sort of application, but that would definitely work.

Newegg has them.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    I use a Cigar Oasis XL in my 300 count, with 65% beads at the bottom level. The Oasis is ALMOST barely noticeable...you have to have your ear all up in your Humi's business to know that its running (similiar to what Sniper said). I have beads in my cooler and they work extremely well however in my spanish-lined humi, I dont feel like the beads keep up with all the moisture demands PLUS I like that the fan moves the air around a little bit.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    I'm running the Cigar Oasis II XL with the aux fan kit in my cabinet solely. I have the main unit on the bottom and the aux fans pointing down from the top of the cabinet. Works well. I like the fact you can just add distilled water when needed. They do recommend replacing the foam block once a year. This unit does make some noise but it's not overly annoying.
    Cool , just weighing my options for when I can finally get me my 300 ct humi.
    I would recommend getting one. I am very pleased with the performance of mine. The option to add the additional fans are great. And they run super silent.
    That's what I was thinking to Jesse. But that's still a few months in the future right now it's still in the dreaming/planning stage?
    I hear you. Thats what I did last year, I started thinking about what I was going to buy and how to set it up. Now I wish I would have gone bigger on the humidor (or just bought a really big cooler). I have no complaints with the hydra though. Just remember only distilled water (no tap or PG solution).
    I've thought about a coolidor but I really want something that'll look nice and I can showcase my sticks once I get a nice collection going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    What humidor are you looking to get?
    I've been looking at the San Marcos 300ct end table humi.
    I was looking at that one, the El Diablo, and the Geneve 500 count. The Geneve 500 ct.I found for about $50 more than the S.M. I'm worried about which one to get.
    It just depends on how many cigars you'll think you'll collect rule of thumb is get a bigger humi then you'll think you'll need. I can't really see me having more than 100 sticks so I figure I better get a 300ct. But all those are good humis from what I've heard. I've also looked at each of them.
  • Its a slippery slope. Once you get the 300, you will want to get a 500+ and so on and so forth... The geneve is nice, however really look at the finish on them.
    Well, the problem is the wife is sick of looking at my 50qt cooler, so I'm getting rid of it vs. buying a bigger cooler. I miss the smells from the cedar humidors as well. I'm trying to get a 300 count if the budget can handle it. I hate buying items like this over the internet.
  • Thats what I did and it was quite the experience. 3 humidors later and we finally settled...it was a nightmare and it took almost 2 months to straighten out. Each one had severe cosmetic or structural damage. Either because of the factory or because of the shipping company. The house was a mess from all of the styrofoam. Make sure who you order from has great customer service. If I had to do it all over again I would get a ginormous cooler and spend the extra money on the cigars...or save the extra for building a walk in one day!
    28-bottle wine cooler. Maintains temp, RH, and holds over 500 cigars if you spend a spare weekend to make 3" tall spanish cedar trays in your garage
    Thanks gran. Aren't those pretty expensive though xmacro?
    They can run between $150 to $300; the spanish cedar will run you about $30 for an 8'x6"x0.5" board.