Home Ratings & Reviews

Padilla '68

Construction and draw were perfect, no problems at all.

First third I got mostly pepper and spice, this seemed to be the constant throughout the stick. Half way through and to the nub I picked up a wood flavor along with the pepper after taste but that's about it. Overall it was a decent smoke, not sure I will keep a lot on hand but I'm more than willing to try more from Padilla.

welp, that's my noob review. Tomorrow I'm trying MOW ruination.

Comments

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    napalm:
    Construction and draw were perfect, no problems at all.

First third I got mostly pepper and spice, this seemed to be the constant throughout the stick. Half way through and to the nub I picked up a wood flavor along with the pepper after taste but that's about it. Overall it was a decent smoke, not sure I will keep a lot on hand but I'm more than willing to try more from Padilla.

welp, that's my noob review. Tomorrow I'm trying MOW ruination.
    Just curious...how long have you had this '68 resting? What RH?

Don't give up on the '68, it's a great cigar that I'm sure you'll enjoy with a little rest.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • napalmnapalm Posts: 50
    Resting less than a week at 65%, I have 4 more that I will let age, thats probably why I wasn't blown away, good point sir.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, and a very interesting perspective on the pic. I like it.

I wish my experience was as decent as yours.
    I had a Series 68 Robusto last night, that was, quite unfortunately, the second worst stick I've had since starting up cigars again almost a year ago - quite nasty - threw it in the fire at the 1/2 point, and wanted to chuck it after an inch.
    80+ days in my humi at 65/66.
    Burned perfectly, 2 inch ash that I knocked off. Started with heavy pepper, not quality pepper, harsh almost sour pepper.......and then that faded (thankfully)..........into what I can only be described as a cheap, unfinished tobacco flavor.
    I'm a Padilla fan. I have more Padilla smokes than any other brand in my modest 220 or so stick collection. I love the Black Bear, Miami, Dominus, 1932, etc. I've smoked lots of Padillas.
    I bought a ten pack on the deal here back in June, and finally fired one up last night......disaster.
    It was so bad I actually wrote to the Ccom to ask if I can return them? I don't know if I should smoke another one to be sure it wasn't simply a bad stick, or wait to see what (if anything) Ccom does or suggests I do. I've never had this problem, so I'm a bit stumped, and couldn' tt find anything on the site regarding returns. I figure it's probably too late at this point
    Today I smoked a Padilla Sig 1932 Toro that was delightful as usual. Just about the same age and same humi as that dreaded Series 68. I've checked other sites/reviews on the Series 68 Robusto, and most are very positive.....but there are some very negative ones as well, which makes me wonder about the possibility of bad batches.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the 68 as it will not be produced much longer. It's my favorite Padilla. I like it considerably more than the 32. I'm glad you enjoyed it. thanks for the review.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    dennisking:
    Enjoy the 68 as it will not be produced much longer. It's my favorite Padilla. I like it considerably more than the 32. I'm glad you enjoyed it. thanks for the review.
    I just enjoyed one of these yesterday. Great smoke. I've not heard that it wasn't going to be produced any longer. Anyone have more information on that?
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I like these. Got a box that is resting. Tried one the other night and with rest these are great sticks for the money.
    I'm starting to think it was simply a bad stick. Either that, or 80+ days is simply not enough rest (but I sort of doubt that.)
    Probably gonna smoke another one later this week just as a test.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I enjoy the '68. Nice medium bodied smoke and never had an issue with one.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I give props to the '68 as well. Bummed to hear that it might not be produced anymore? True or not, I don't like that rumor!

JDE

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    KingoftheCove:
    I'm starting to think it was simply a bad stick. Either that, or 80+ days is simply not enough rest (but I sort of doubt that.)
    haha, could also be option #3 as well . . . . You just might not like it. This is probably more likely than a bum stick or a cigar from a company like padilla needing more than 80 days of rest.

Everyone's palate is different and sometimes a really well respected cigar still might not be up your alley. And thats cool, its one of the parts of the hobby that I get a kick out of. People's tastes are subjective, and they're all different. I've had the Padilla Habano and enjoyed it, however I've also had the 1932 and the 68 and neither of those are my thing, and thats cool. I can respect that its a high quality cigar but for some reason I get a super dry mouthfeel to the smoke and I just don't really care for that. Sounds like you tend to enjoy very oily cigars, which usually have a moist heavy smoke, which feels a little damp or maybe chewy. So maybe its the same thing. I don't know.

Give it another shot and if you still don't care for it, its all good its just not your thing, but it sounds like you have several potential trade partners right here that you can unload them on and pick up something more along your tastes.
    boydmcgowan:
    KingoftheCove:
    haha, could also be option #3 as well . . . . You just might not like it. This is probably more likely than a bum stick or a cigar from a company like padilla needing more than 80 days of rest.

Everyone's palate is different and sometimes a really well respected cigar still might not be up your alley. And thats cool, its one of the parts of the hobby that I get a kick out of. People's tastes are subjective, and they're all different. I've had the Padilla Habano and enjoyed it, however I've also had the 1932 and the 68 and neither of those are my thing, and thats cool. I can respect that its a high quality cigar but for some reason I get a super dry mouthfeel to the smoke and I just don't really care for that. Sounds like you tend to enjoy very oily cigars, which usually have a moist heavy smoke, which feels a little damp or maybe chewy. So maybe its the same thing. I don't know.

Give it another shot and if you still don't care for it, its all good its just not your thing, but it sounds like you have several potential trade partners right here that you can unload them on and pick up something more along your tastes.
    well I suppose I should have mentioned that I have smoked Series 68 Robustos before - this was not my first - but it was my first from that 10-pack - maybe I was just having an off day (doubt it though) - I am going to smoke another later this week to see.....and I'll follow up on that here.
    Just a quick follow up - I just smoked a second one out of that batch of 10 where that funky stick came from - and it was a fine cigar!
    So, apparently it was simply a bad stick....which happens now and again from my understanding.

It was buggin me, so I had to test another one.
    The added bonus was I got to smoke on a "non-smoking" day.......... heh!......(usually only smoke Fri-Sun)
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    KingoftheCove:
    Just a quick follow up - I just smoked a second one out of that batch of 10 where that funky stick came from - and it was a fine cigar!
    So, apparently it was simply a bad stick....which happens now and again from my understanding.

The added bonus was I got to smoke on a "non-smoking" day.......... heh!......(usually only smoke Fri-Sun)
    two things real quick...:

bad sticks do, in fact, happen to good people. No matter the brand, from time to time there will be a bum one...

2nd thing... how in the world do you keep yourself from smoking cigars for 5 out of 7 days?!?!?! that is a will power I can't even comprehend. lol
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    BigT06:
    Bad sticks... happen to good people.
    That's a keeper quote right there!

JDE

BigT06:
    2nd thing... how in the world do you keep yourself from smoking cigars for 5 out of 7 days?!?!?! that is a will power I can't even comprehend. lol
    Well, to be honest, it has nothing to do with will power.
    It's simply a "time" issue.......I work a lot.....got teenagers.............run a small business.........got a wife..........in-laws, blah blah blah............try to workout........got animals.....too many cars......need to surf once in a while..............blah blah........there's simply no TIME for me to smoke until Friday about 5pm.
    Then 2 cigars on Saturday, my day off. Sunday I work in the morning til about 11:30, so I gets an afternoon smoke! (sometimes 2 - heh!)

I have a feeling when I'm retired, I'll smoke a bit more.......but maybe not.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I will add some love for the '68, I really enjoy them right along with many other high-end Padillas like the Miami, Dominus and 32. One thing about the '68 that is cool is how much it changes with age. New it offers a fair amount of pepper spice and a damp earthy feel in the mouth. With some rest under it's belt, say a year or so, it loses almost all it's pepper flavors and it's dampness and becomes a solid mild smoke that is dry and smooth. Completely different cigar.

I haven't been able to let one rest more than a year so far but I have never experienced any cigar transform so much so fast. I'm sad to learn they won't be produced much longer, they are a real go-to for me as well as the one I hand out to friends a lot.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    For those looking for a little bit more info on this: click the link.

This seems to be the common source other sites point to. Sad news for sure.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    I have to agree with you. I much prefer the 68 to the 32. I think the 32 carries a lot of earthy flavors that I am not a big fan of. The 68 tends to have more leathery and spicy notes.
    KingoftheCove:

I am glad to hear that maybe you just had a bad stick. You should still call ccom, they'll make it right for you.
    KingoftheCove:

I am glad to hear that maybe you just had a bad stick. You should still call ccom, they'll make it right for you.
    Lakota72:
    hmm.....I'm sure they would make it right...........but, I don't think so.............after all the great deals The Beard has squared me up with, I'm certainly not gonna whine about one bad stick................but if it was 10 sticks or a mazo?.........well that's a different story.