Home General Discussion
Options

Anniversary Smoke

dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
Saturday is my one year anniversary with my wife. I'm needing a suggestion for a good cigar that I can celebrate our special evening with.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Padron 1926 would be my first choice for a cigar that you can go into pretty much any well stocked B&M, pick up a single or two, in either Maduro or Natural (or one of each), and pretty much be guaranteed perfect performance, tons of complex flavors, presented in a balanced, but bold fashion, all in a downright classy package. The price of admission is higher than your every day smoke... but oh so very worth it. These are the kind of cigars I like to smoke to celebrate things. (Have a 45th Maddy on hold for my Birthday this year... and a 46th Maddy for Christmas)
  • Options
    Congrats D, my wife and I celebrated our 2nd last Monday. As for the smoke, I would say a San Lotano Habano, or a Cain FF.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero A oscuro. I think its 9x48 or somthing like that. Ive had my eye on grabbing one for a special occasion myself for a while.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Celebratory smoke...I like the Armada. It was a fine smoke for sure. That was my Father's Day cigar.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    gaberox:
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero A oscuro. I think its 9x48 or somthing like that. Ive had my eye on grabbing one for a special occasion myself for a while.
    Nice! Any 'A' sized cigar makes for a great celebratory smoke.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    If you really wanna score brownie points with her, skip the smoke and tell her you're making the sacrifice for her.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    skweekz:
    If you really wanna score brownie points with her, skip the smoke and tell her you're making the sacrifice for her.
    Ok, this man knows how women work. The last idea I'd have and probably the best one here. ;)
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrations brother. I think Cohiba red dot is a good anniversary smoke.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Congrats man, I say go for a Camacho Triple Maddy or an Ashton, they should be easy to find.
    Maybe GOF if you have 1.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    Padron 1926 would be my first choice for a cigar that you can go into pretty much any well stocked B&M, pick up a single or two, in either Maduro or Natural (or one of each), and pretty much be guaranteed perfect performance, tons of complex flavors, presented in a balanced, but bold fashion, all in a downright classy package. The price of admission is higher than your every day smoke... but oh so very worth it. These are the kind of cigars I like to smoke to celebrate things. (Have a 45th Maddy on hold for my Birthday this year... and a 46th Maddy for Christmas)
    Couldnt' agree more on the Padron 1926 idea. In either wrapper. Fantastic smoke.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Congrats man! Smoke whatever you know you'll really enjoy that's my .02
  • Options
    All are great suggestions...even skweek's, however skipping a cigar is not an option no matter how many brownie points it gains me! I was hoping to find an Opus or something of that caliber sometime this week, but I haven't had a chance. We're still in Mississippi packing my inlaws up and planning to drive back tonight, so hitting a B&M isn't gonna happen! :(

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Put it off until Tuesday.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    WTF?
  • Options
    greg2648:
    All year I've been wanting to get my hands on an Opus or two, and a few misc ISOM's for such special occasions, but I've failed...eventually I'll see what everyone sees in them!

• Options
    Even though I am a rookie at this, I have had the pleasure of smoking several "great" cigars. I believe that the Opus series of cigars are like Rolex watches. They are probably both overated. Its just an itch that has to be scratched.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    skweekz:
    WTF?

Strait to the bedroom...guaranteed.
  • Options
    dbeckom:
    greg2648:
    All year I've been wanting to get my hands on an Opus or two, and a few misc ISOM's for such special occasions, but I've failed...eventually I'll see what everyone sees in them!
    Well, what did you smoke?
  • Options
    Well, results are in! Thanks for the suggestions! I went with skweek's suggestion!

To clarify, I didn't actually want to go with skweek's idea. But after packing and loading a 40' Penske box truck, a 18' trailer, my Expedition, a suburban, and a van...then driving all night and getting home at 7 this morning, I've spent the day on the couch in severe pain. As many of you know, I have major back problems anyway, but this has been a miserable day for me! To make matters worse, while taking a large mirror off a dresser, two screws came out and the mirror fell...driving the metal bracket on the back of the mirror THROUGH the edge of my left foot AND my flip-flop to the floor. I lost a lot of blood (a 14"-16" puddle in the floor around my shoe) in the time it took to lay the mirror on the bed and take my shoe off! My wife and Mother-in-Law FREAKED out! Being a very stubborn man, I wrapped it up and got back busy.

So, I've gone without today!

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    Well, results are in! Thanks for the suggestions! I went with skweek's suggestion!

To clarify, I didn't actually want to go with skweek's idea. But after packing and loading a 40' Penske box truck, a 18' trailer, my Expedition, a suburban, and a van...then driving all night and getting home at 7 this morning, I've spent the day on the couch in severe pain. As many of you know, I have major back problems anyway, but this has been a miserable day for me! To make matters worse, while taking a large mirror off a dresser, two screws came out and the mirror fell...driving the metal bracket on the back of the mirror THROUGH the edge of my left foot AND my flip-flop to the floor. I lost a lot of blood (a 14"-16" puddle in the floor around my shoe) in the time it took to lay the mirror on the bed and take my shoe off! My wife and Mother-in-Law FREAKED out! Being a very stubborn man, I wrapped it up and got back busy.

Oh the joys of moving, plus its always so much more enjoyable when its someone elses stuff and a lot of driving is involved..Now sheddin blood just had to be the topper on a fabulous event..You my friend deserve a good cigar.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Damn Dwayne, sounds like you had one hell of a day. Hope things get better for you real quick.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    you know what they say....'1 fire is equal to 3 house moves'....hope your foot heals quickly, but broken stuff always happens in a move, no matter how careful one is!
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    dbeckom:

Like a boss! Sorry to hear that the day didn't go a bit better.
  • Options
    Well, I finally hobbled outside and I'm having my first cigar since getting home from Mississippi...a Diesel Unholy Cocktail. It's not quite the "special occasion" smoke I'd planned on having, but it'll have to do. I didn't see the point in having a super premium smoke while I'm miserable and can't enjoy all the flavors and little nuances it offers.

I plan on being more prepared for my next anniversary, having some special sticks on hand for my special occasions! I'm hoping to start by picking up something in the next week for my upcoming birthday. I have an AF A

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Glad you finally got to smoke! Heal quick!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man sounds like a swell weekend was had. Today's a good day to rest up. Hope your foots feeling better Dwayne.
  • Options
    Shoot, talk about eventful. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope your foot starts feeling better soon.