Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Rights of America

Has anyone else heard of the CRA? It seems they are like the NRA except for cigars. Ive read several cigar blenders have spoken at their conventions and it looks like they are legit. Does anyone know anything else about these guys or is anyone a member?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there have been a few threads about this as of late.

here is one of them.
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    It's a sad sad day when people have to form organizations dedicated to protecting rights that were taken for granted for hundreds of years. Calls to mind my experience in Caracas, Venezuela last year. I bought a Cuban Fonseca in a tobacco shop, then went upstairs to an open air type restaurant. Before lighting up, I asked the waiter, "Is it okay to smoke in here?" His answer: "Of course, Senior. It's a free country." Yes, much of the world understands freedom better than the "Land of the Free". As for the CRA, I am 100% convinced they are fighting a futile fight. If I thought they could reverse the trend, I would send them money. I am somewhat closely connected to New York's war on tobacco (I have a cousin highly placed in the Health Dept) so I hear about every initiative that's coming down the pike. It looks very very bad.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I did see a poster and contact info including web site at my local b&m for them
  • Options
    havanaal:
    It's a sad sad day when people have to form organizations dedicated to protecting rights that were taken for granted for hundreds of years. Calls to mind my experience in Caracas, Venezuela last year. I bought a Cuban Fonseca in a tobacco shop, then went upstairs to an open air type restaurant. Before lighting up, I asked the waiter, "Is it okay to smoke in here?" His answer: "Of course, Senior. It's a free country." Yes, much of the world understands freedom better than the "Land of the Free". As for the CRA, I am 100% convinced they are fighting a futile fight. If I thought they could reverse the trend, I would send them money. I am somewhat closely connected to New York's war on tobacco (I have a cousin highly placed in the Health Dept) so I hear about every initiative that's coming down the pike. It looks very very bad.
    ...and the idiot public eats every little bit of it u p.
  • Options
    AyronAyron Posts: 4
    exactly.... I go to a community college down in south florida, and they are going to make it a "smoke free" campus next semester; as in getting rid of all the smoking sections, where most of my friends and many other people, including non smokers hang out and socialize between classes. The only place we would be allowed to smoke is out in the parking lot.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Try living in California where we have organizations like Smoke Free California and crap legislature such as one going through the system right now trying to ban smoking in common areas in apartments. The idiotic family that started that piece of legislature did it because the area where people smoke irritated their daughter's asthma. For God's sake they are banning smoking because some little girl has a scratchy throat and don't even get me started on the idiotic report I saw about the hidden dangers of THIRD HAND SMOKE. No not first hand inhalation, not even second hand inhalation, but inhalation of smoke particles that are in the area where someone smoked hours ago or the clothes that people are wearing who smoke.

Wish we didn't have such idiots in control of this state.
  • Options
    Yes, it has come down to a philosophy of "if someone gets hurts by something, ban it." To take that concept to its limits, freedom is extinguished. No guns, no motorcycles, no ski areas, no skateboarding or rock climbing, no alcohol, no fast food, no sex (except safe, regulated, government sanctioned sex), and no tobacco. It is the perfect storm of wannabe activists, chicken *** politicians who stand for nothing, and public apathy. As California goes....
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Try living in California where we have organizations like Smoke Free California and crap legislature such as one going through the system right now trying to ban smoking in common areas in apartments. The idiotic family that started that piece of legislature did it because the area where people smoke irritated their daughter's asthma. For God's sake they are banning smoking because some little girl has a scratchy throat and don't even get me started on the idiotic report I saw about the hidden dangers of THIRD HAND SMOKE. No not first hand inhalation, not even second hand inhalation, but inhalation of smoke particles that are in the area where someone smoked hours ago or the clothes that people are wearing who smoke.

Wish we didn't have such idiots in control of this state.
    As the parent of a little girl with asthma, I'd say callling it "a scratchy throat" is a tad on uninformed side. Second-hand smoke is one of the most common triggers for asthma. I'm not trying to overdramaticize it, but I'm spent more than one night in the emergency department watching my daughter gasp for breath.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Luko:
    As the parent of a little girl with asthma, I'd say callling it "a scratchy throat" is a tad on uninformed side. Second-hand smoke is one of the most common triggers for asthma. I'm not trying to overdramaticize it, but I'm spent more than one night in the emergency department watching my daughter gasp for breath.
    You are right, as I am on the uninformed side of dealing with asthma, I'm sorry if I offended you. It sucks to be in emergency room where you can't do anything (I have had a reoccurring problem that has me sent to the ER every year or 2, just got it fixed this winter.) I am just angry that there are even fewer places to smoke in California, we're now down to just cigar bars and your home it seems, in a few years maybe not even that
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Luko:
    You are right, as I am on the uninformed side of dealing with asthma, I'm sorry if I offended you. It sucks to be in emergency room where you can't do anything (I have had a reoccurring problem that has me sent to the ER every year or 2, just got it fixed this winter.) I am just angry that there are even fewer places to smoke in California, we're now down to just cigar bars and your home it seems, in a few years maybe not even that
    No apologies needed...I wasn't offended.

As for the rights of cigar smokers, I'm kinda torn. I absolutely hate cigarette smoke and could swear I'm allergic. Here in PA we've gone to a smoking ban and if I spend all night in the bar now, I come home not reaking of cigarette smoke and I swear I feel better. So part of me is fine with not having cigarette smoke in bars/restaurants. But at the same time, at places where they allow cigarette smoking, I've been told more than once cigars aren't allowed.

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I also have mixed feelings, Luko, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Add to your last point: many of the places that allow cigarette and cigar smoking don't allow pipes.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've been chatting about this for quite some time. I feel it is wrong to force a business to ban the use of a legal product in their establishment if they so choose. I, however, also enjoy going to restaurants and bars that do not allow smoking.

I've had the idea that instead of banning it all together they should make it more appealing for businesses to be smoke free. They could use tax incentives, grants, etc. That way a good majority of businesses would go smoke free but some would still allow smoking to pick up those customers who so choose. I'd also be completely for requiring smoking establishments to install better ventilation systems. I was in a Cigar Bar in Tulsa and they had a ventilation system that you could watch the smoke go right off your cigar and up into the vents 12 ft up in the ceiling. Anyways just a thought of mine.
  • Options
    Mixed feelings are understandable, if you look at personal liberty as something that infringes on your own rights, i.e. exposure to cigarette smoke. If they stopped at current bans on smoking, I would continue to happily smoke on my deck, on the golf course, on dog walks, and at my favorite outdoor establishments, and I wouldn't give it another thought. Unfortunately, they never stop with simple reasonable restrictions on anything they don't like. If you're lived long enough in this country (I was born in the 50's) you know I'm right.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I've been chatting about this for quite some time. I feel it is wrong to force a business to ban the use of a legal product in their establishment if they so choose. I, however, also enjoy going to restaurants and bars that do not allow smoking.

yes

before ohio was "smoke free" I would go to places that didnt have smoking because i felt tat was the right way to handle it. It should be the right of the owner to decide what is right for the business, not a government mandate.
    madurofan:
    I've had the idea that instead of banning it all together they should make it more appealing for businesses to be smoke free. They could use tax incentives, grants, etc. That way a good majority of businesses would go smoke free but some would still allow smoking to pick up those customers who so choose. I'd also be completely for requiring smoking establishments to install better ventilation systems. I was in a Cigar Bar in Tulsa and they had a ventilation system that you could watch the smoke go right off your cigar and up into the vents 12 ft up in the ceiling. Anyways just a thought of mine.
    i see what you are saying with that Idea. I dont knwo if i agree with that because it still taxes someone for the choice to allow a legal product to be used.

I would like to see what france does:
    All smoking sections must be sectioned off with walls and separate ventilation for the non and smoking sections. no server or worker is forced to work in the smoking section. they do so by choice. I could get behind that. I hate cigarette smoke. I never used to sit in the smoking section. I wouldnt again if there was one.
  • Options
    havanaal:
    Mixed feelings are understandable, if you look at personal liberty as something that infringes on your own rights, i.e. exposure to cigarette smoke. If they stopped at current bans on smoking, I would continue to happily smoke on my deck, on the golf course, on dog walks, and at my favorite outdoor establishments, and I wouldn't give it another thought. Unfortunately, they never stop with simple reasonable restrictions on anything they don't like. If you're lived long enough in this country (I was born in the 50's) you know I'm right.

every time you post i like you just a little bit more.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:

yes

before ohio was "smoke free" I would go to places that didnt have smoking because i felt tat was the right way to handle it. It should be the right of the owner to decide what is right for the business, not a government mandate.
    I see what you're saying. I just think its a better alternative than altogether bans.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    i see what you are saying with that Idea. I dont knwo if i agree with that because it still taxes someone for the choice to allow a legal product to be used.

I would like to see what france does:
    All smoking sections must be sectioned off with walls and separate ventilation for the non and smoking sections. no server or worker is forced to work in the smoking section. they do so by choice. I could get behind that. I hate cigarette smoke. I never used to sit in the smoking section. I wouldnt again if there was one.
    Yea thats kinda my thoughts as well.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Garen B:
    Luko:
    No apologies needed...I wasn't offended.

As for the rights of cigar smokers, I'm kinda torn. I absolutely hate cigarette smoke and could swear I'm allergic. Here in PA we've gone to a smoking ban and if I spend all night in the bar now, I come home not reaking of cigarette smoke and I swear I feel better. So part of me is fine with not having cigarette smoke in bars/restaurants. But at the same time, at places where they allow cigarette smoking, I've been told more than once cigars aren't allowed.

Pretty much agree here! My wife has bad allergies and has asthma especially to smoke, cigar too. That's why I don't smoke around her. Still though we know to avoid places that have smoking yes even bars. In fact I can't remember when the both of us went to a bar. Though now Oregon banned smoking in bars (minus cigar bars = for now), but I too was royally upset over the fact that you could have a place filled with smokers but oh no, sorry you can't have a cigar! WTF, well that's why when the ban on bar smoking went in place I went back to a few places that I got into a tiff with over my cigars and said a few things. Apparently business isn't good! HA!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I was in a Cigar Bar in Tulsa and they had a ventilation system that you could watch the smoke go right off your cigar and up into the vents 12 ft up in the ceiling. Anyways just a thought of mine.
    You should have seen the old ventalation system in the B&M I used to go to. It was just a fan infront of a propped open door. The owner has since installed a good vent system that takes care of the smoke instead of pushing it around.
  • Options
    These Filthy Hands:
    madurofan:
    I was in a Cigar Bar in Tulsa and they had a ventilation system that you could watch the smoke go right off your cigar and up into the vents 12 ft up in the ceiling. Anyways just a thought of mine.
    You should have seen the old ventalation system in the B&M I used to go to. It was just a fan infront of a propped open door. The owner has since installed a good vent system that takes care of the smoke instead of pushing it around.
    Thats hilarious!

Thats the only complaint I have about the B&M I hang out at he was one ceiling vent in the whole shop and its the equivalent of a bathroom vent. He has a couple of air purifiers but they're not hitting on much. When they get more than 10 or so people in there they have to open the doors turn on fans.
  • Options
    none around me have a great vent system...
  • Options
    Oh this really twist me good. I went into a fantastic smoke shop in Omaha, Cigarro's (cigarros.com) and bought about $80 bucks worth of premium cigars and could not smoke a one of them in their establishment because the smoking ordinance prohibited smoking in places that serve alcohol. WTF! is going on in America, let the owner of the business decide if it is smoke free or not, for the love of crud why doesn't the government just bring back prohibition? If you live near Omaha please let me know of a good place to go smoke a cigar.
  • Options
    rdpitts43:
    Oh this really twist me good. I went into a fantastic smoke shop in Omaha, Cigarro's (cigarros.com) and bought about $80 bucks worth of premium cigars and could not smoke a one of them in their establishment because the smoking ordinance prohibited smoking in places that serve alcohol. WTF! is going on in America, let the owner of the business decide if it is smoke free or not, for the love of crud why doesn't the government just bring back prohibition? If you live near Omaha please let me know of a good place to go smoke a cigar.
    thats how ohio's law works too.

the good news is that i am on good terms with the owner of the B&M. He GIVES me beer on a personal level when i go in there.

...provided that every now and then i replenish his stock
  • Options
    anyone know if the CRA actually has done anything? I mean the membership is kind of spendy and it seems taxes are still happening, not to mention all the anti-cigar laws being born.
  • Options
    ..and calling my rep's is a waste of time. I mean I've tried to get a hold of both my senators and most of my congressmen(women) and it's the same old story. Basically it's all about children and their safety. Seems like these people need to re-read the constitution and understand that just because you don't like it or do it, doesn't mean you need to ban or make people bend over. (oh and one of my congressmen think the taxes for my state are crap).
  • Options
    My favorite cigar store had flyers out for the CRA organization. Just google for Cigrar Rights of America, should pop up near the top. I feel the pain, all the cigar stores in Omaha had to stop selling any thing, which means booze, that was not cigar related. Hopefully a bill in the Nebraska legislature will overturn some of the stupid laws, like illegal to smoke in a cigar store that sells beer, wine, or liquor.
  • Options
    http://www.cigarrights.org/ Here is the site for CRA which has news and info on your cigar rights. This site also allows you to join up as a member. Many noteworthy cigar companies are backing CRA, it is worth taking a look-see.