Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Amateur seeking simple advice

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
After this extremely hot day and buying a few cigars today I got an uneasy feeling after finding a a pair of holes on a La Gloria Cubana R series I have been crazy into looking more into beetles. I have a 50ct glasstop humidor with ~40 cigars in it. I didn't move the cigar with holes into the humidor and it is currently being frozen. My all around questions are:

Should I keep the humidor below 70F?(Was up to 76 today)
Is 2 gel filled cigar shaped humidifiers ample?
What are warnings you have on beetles from first hand (Ive seen all the sites)?
Can beetle eggs survive in cigars 15+ years old?
Any pre-signs on beetles such as lumps?
Since it is hot should I put the humidor infront of a fan? How will this affect humidity?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.tabacordillera.com/tobacco-insect-pests-mold.htm this should help with your beetle questions
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check all your sticks for holes or trails. Or tiny bits of tobacco in the bottom of your humi. If in doubt put your sticks in the freezer for 48 hours then a day in the fridge to slowly thaw them before putting them back in the humi. Wipe the humi down with a clean cloth dampened with distiller water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    The more educated folks will weigh in on this soon. If I understand correctly, having the higher temps (70-75) are fine as long as the humidity is down. Beetles need both to thrive.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    As long as the temp is 74 or below, and the RH is below 70%, you should be fine. That's what kuzi told me, and trust me, he knows this stuff.

Put a fan in front of it if need be, and if you're worried about your RH just keep an eye on it once or twice a day (or one of the million times a day you'll be in it because of your new beetle paranoia... trust me. lol).

2 humi tubes should be plenty of humidity for 40 sticks as long as they are properly charged. again, reference the hygrometer for this info.

and no, tobacco beetles can't live for 15 years in a cigar or anywhere else, however, if there is an outbreak they will destroy anything they can... regardless of how old or new it is.