Home Cigar 101

Is this Humidor dead?

I picked up my Dad's old humidor, which hasn't been used in nearly 5 years. It was stored in a cardboard box on its side with a bunch of other stuff. I've had a horrible time seasoning this box, as the lid slams closed and wont hold RH past 60.

(click to see larger)

I live in Colorado where the air is extremely dry. I've used distilled water and a cloth to add moisture to all the walls, but was careful as to not over-wet them. I've also let the box sit with a shot glass of distilled water inside for 3+ days. My electric hygrometer says the temperature is 70 and the RH ranges from 55-60 and as high as 85 just after wiping the walls (but never stays at 80).

I noticed the lid might be slightly warped (see photo), so I've used a gallon of distilled water to weigh it down in hopes that it will fix itself as the walls accepts moisture.

(click to see larger)

In the past week I've wiped the lid / walls nearly 12 times, I've had the shot glass sitting for 4 days, and I have a moisture packet mounted on the lid the entire time.

(click to see larger)

(click to see larger)

I've taken the box into a dark room and placed a flashlight inside to see if there were any significant gaps. After a week with the shot glass the lid is no longer significantly warped and no light is escaping through the gap I mentioned above.

(click to see larger)

(click to see larger)

(click to see larger)

I was really hoping this box wasn't ruined, as it holds some sentimental value; any advice or input? Is it possible the box is beyond the point of repair?

Can it take more than a week to season a dry humidor? Are there any other things I should be doing?Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• I can't really fault your process thus far. I can add that my humi took 2 weeks to season though. It was brand new and dry as hell. Its holding great at 67% now (it goes higher if I want it) and its been steady for a few months. I might have missed it, did you do the paper test on the seal?
  • I'm not aware of the paper seal test... googling now. posting results in the next few minutes.
  • performed the paper seal test with printer paper. it pulled out with a very moderate amount of resistance... does this mean it's just not seasoned enough? or?
  • i think it may just need to sit awhile 5 years is a good while for it to dry out you could also try the boveda 85% seasoning kit
  • EricBenjamin:
    performed the paper seal test with printer paper. it pulled out with a very moderate amount of resistance... does this mean it's just not seasoned enough? or?
    Was the resistance the same on all sides? Ideally you want it ti pull out and have enough resistance to almost tear the paper. If the paper doesn't just pull right out without a good amount of resistance, it TYPICALLY means you have a good enough seal to hold proper RH%. If it were me, I'd let that humi sitfor 7 days with the shot glass in it and DO NOT OPEN it!!! as soon as you open, all of your progress is reset.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Don't give up on it yet, as noted above - leave it closed for a week - can't hurt.
    The paper test - also called the dollar bill test:
    If you used a full sized, or even a 1/2 size piece of printer paper, that's not a good test, as you're testing too much of the edge at once - that's why a dollar bill works better.
    Test it all the way around, using a dollar bill, or a nice crisp $20, and see what's up.
    You might find that there is only one spot, or two, that has a problem, and then you might be able to build that up with something (masking tape, etc.)
    When you do the flashlight test, you have to turn the flashlight to face each of the four sides to really be sure of the seal - thus you need a small flash light.
    Good luck - let us know what happens.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Being dried out for 5 yrs doesn't mean anything - all new humidors are dry when they're shipped and you take them off the shelf, so that wouldn't mean anything. If the lid slams instead of wooshes, it's not gonna hold RH properly.

If you really wanna habilitate it, you may wanna talk to Waxing Moon and see if he could do any work on it; or try some aquarium sealant (maybe siilcone?) if you can find where the air is getting out
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took 2 weeks for my humi to finally get to 70. I'd give it some more time, it's a nice looking one don't give up on it yet.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And are you sure your hygrometer is accurate?
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    And are you sure your hygrometer is accurate?
    +1! yeah - gotta check that first if you have not - you might be just fine and not even know it!
  • I started the hygrometer test yesterday; I'm going to give it a full 24 hours in the bag with a cap full of salt + water. so far it's reading a consistent 71 RH so that's close enough to calibrated. unfortunately I think I spent $30 on a digital hygrometer that doesn't allow any type of adjusting... so I'll have to just assume whatever it says after 24 hours is the number I want indefinitely?

As for my bill test - I made sure the paper was the same width as a dollar bill.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    +1 on giving it time. Even the small, 25 count humidor that I have overseas here took 10 days or more to get properly seasoned. You've done the right testing and prepping. Now you're at the hard part: wait!

JDE

• on a side note, GORGEOUS humi!!