Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Today's smoking project.

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Wanted to try something new. Submitted for your approval: gorgonzola stuffed 50/50 burgers.

Ingredients:

1 pound 7% fresh ground beef
1 pound applewood smoked bacon. (ground this myself)
1/3 medium sized red onion, chopped to mush
5 clove garlic finely chopped
Few shots of worchestershire (sp?) Sauce
Few shots Frank's Red Hot
Salt and pepper
Gorgonzola cheese, thickly sliced

And this is what it looks like.

50/50 burger patties

Add some gorgonzola

Put the halves together for gorgonzola stuffed 50/50 burgers.

Into the smoker for about 50 minutes at 275-300 with a mix of pecan wood and apple wood.

That was a fantastic meal. I may be dead by this time tomorrow, but what a way to go!

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Joe those things looks amazing! If I were to request a death...death my smoked meat would be my first choice!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I've ever tried putting cheese in the burgers they always get that gross grey stuff from the fat in them. Yech?
  • Options
    But ground applewood bacon added to the burger meat does sound yummy.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Every time I've ever tried putting cheese in the burgers they always get that gross grey stuff from the fat in them. Yech?
    Hmm, didn't have that problem...maybe the type of cheese makes a difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Those look fantastic man. What type of bun did you pair up with it?
  • Options
    james40:
    Those look fantastic man. What type of bun did you pair up with it?
    Just a simple onion bun, toasted on the grill. The star of this show was the burger.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooohhh! Sounds terrific. Be warned - I just stole your recipe and will be test-driving it in the not too distant future. Mmmmmm!
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Oooooohhh! Sounds terrific. Be warned - I just stole your recipe and will be test-driving it in the not too distant future. Mmmmmm!
    Hope you enjoy it Marty. And please, if you come up with any improvements, let me know.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Ohh man Joe that looks delicious . Was the bacon overwhelming in it or is that about the right mix you feel ? I want to try this .
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Yeah buddy! My kids call them lava burgers cause the cheese looks like lava running out of them. Put their favorite cheese in them, can't go wrong. Those look really good.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    For those who have not made these before, make sure you seal the edges very well to hold the cheese. The meat will balloon up a bit but you can get the fatty oils/grease out after finished cooking by poking with a fork and gently flattening with a spatula until you start to see some cheese come through the holes.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    My wife make hers by mixing bleu cheese in the meat and then taking more cheese and putting it inside like you did.
    She also takes sauteed onions and puts them in the middle.
    She first got the idea on the travel channel, they called them Juicy Lucies (Not Drew Estate) so that's what she calls hers.
    Now that I see your new bacon delivery system I am going to have to try that.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Ohh man Joe that looks delicious . Was the bacon overwhelming in it or is that about the right mix you feel ? I want to try this .
    Honestly, I did think it was a bit overwhelming. The next time I do this, I will use 2/3 beef 1/3 bacon.
  • Options
    i orgasmed within my mouth just now
  • Options
    Hmm inever tried poking them with a fork and squeezing the fat out after cooking. That's probably why I ended up with a mouthful of drippings. Duh should have thought of that.
  • Options
    Gurkha Man!:

I don't EVEN want to contemplate that thought.....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Gurkha Man!:

I don't EVEN want to contemplate that thought.....
    lol give it a shot you might like it! but really those look awesome!
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    This is digital cruelty. You should see what they do to their so called "burgers" over here! Somebody really needs to explain to these Qataris the difference between beef and charcoal!

I've done this before with smoked Gouda. I'm curious about Gorgonzola now but if any of you can't find Gorgonzola, the Gouda is a great substitute.

JDE

• Options
    Good idea. I've got family members who don't care for gorgonzola. I love it but the smoked Gouda sounds good. Thanks.

. This just brought another idea to mind - I wonder if pepperjack would work? I'll have to try it.
  • Options
    Sounds delicious to me!!!