Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Budgets

So the wife recently came to me and stated maybe I should get my own account for strictly cigars.....intially I said WTF why the hell not but then being a woman I said why is she suggesting this....I haven't figured it out yet but, I think I am going to take the bait.....What say ye, how does the cigar budget in your household work? DD don't feel you need to comment because it is obvious you don't have a budget. HA J/k.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Nice man, my budget right now is only the COTM club. Daughter just started college and just got a job so money has been fairly tight recently. My first thought was, what does she want? lol. Good luck bro.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is blown, in the last week I have bought (I am suppose to be on a buying freeze mind you): OlivaV Fig/Potencia  daily deal, Super Premium Six Dbl Stack Sample, 2 5-packs of La Aurora Preferido maduro, La Riqueza No. 4 - 5 Pack, 5-pack Alec Bradly Tempus Terra Novo, 5-pack of Perdomo 10th anny Criollo,  2 of the RP/A.Castro 12 Cigar Samplers, Famous VSL Nicaragua Churchill, and just hit on the Oval/LHC Core deal. I got 101 cigars coming in. I am done buying for a while though, for real this time....Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar budgets suck. I know first hand I only get to place an order once a month so I wind up missing out on some really good deals. But it's self imposed until we've saved enough for our vacation in June. But that's pretty much how I do it a separate account I have a little of my pay go into.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Thats so its easier to see how much you are spending in like 2 seconds. I mean yes you should have a budget and purchase what you can afford to.
    Let her know she should have one for purse and shoes as well....

• Options
    My wife and I budget our discretionay money monthly. We get to spend it on anything we want, no questions asked. Overages we have to consult with each other on, and we can loosely move money between months for purchases over the monthly limit. Monthly limit moves depending on how we're doing overall versus our saving goals.

Gifts for each other don't come out of the budget. My budget gets spent on cigars, video games and scotch. I seriously would not be able to keep the hobby if it weren't for CCOM. It generally takes me 3-5 days of emailing with Andy to find what I want at the price I want, but it means I get the smokes I want without having to give up my other vices :)
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    It should work fine as long as she knows how much you are spending already. I have always been up front with my wife but I know not everyone is. Despite the fact I think I have a very modest cigar budget and there are still issues from time to time so beware. But it is better that then her finding an invoice and freaking out!
  • Options
    Me and my wife each have a “shopping account.” each payday we put a set amount into each and we can use it however we want, no questions asked. Catch is we use it for all entertainment, eating out, presents and anything not budgeted unless we agree on something coming out of other accounts. It has worked out nicely and saved us a lot of money and arguing. My cigars always come out of my shopping account so she can never say I spend too much on cigars.
  • Options
    I'm saving for a wedding and a house, but I don't really stick to a hard budget. Other than necessities (rent, food, etc), I don't spend very much money on a month to month basis. Cigars are one of the very few luxury items I buy, so if I see something I want at a good price, I go for it. My issue is more about space than money. I don't really have room to buy 100 cigars in a month, so that hinders my purchases.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    I'm saving for a wedding and a house, but I don't really stick to a hard budget. Other than necessities (rent, food, etc), I don't spend very much money on a month to month basis. Cigars are one of the very few luxury items I buy, so if I see something I want at a good price, I go for it. My issue is more about space than money. I don't really have room to buy 100 cigars in a month, so that hinders my purchases.
    That is what Rubbermaid containers are for! Got me a big 'Ol rectangle one at walmart for $11. Holds a ton and is cheap!
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007:
    Unthought_Known:
    That is what Rubbermaid containers are for! Got me a big 'Ol rectangle one at walmart for $11. Holds a ton and is cheap!
    I already have a cooler, a desktop humidor, a small humidor at work, and a bookshelf humidor that fits a few hundred cigars. I'm trying my best to not have to buy any more storage!
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Unthought_Known:
    I already have a cooler, a desktop humidor, a small humidor at work, and a bookshelf humidor that fits a few hundred cigars. I'm trying my best to not have to buy any more storage!
    LOL, I can see your point. Enough is never enough when you have the "sickness". The more you buy, the more you save!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    doromath:
    My wife and I budget our discretionay money monthly. We get to spend it on anything we want, no questions asked. Overages we have to consult with each other on, and we can loosely move money between months for purchases over the monthly limit. Monthly limit moves depending on how we're doing overall versus our saving goals.

Gifts for each other don't come out of the budget. My budget gets spent on cigars, video games and scotch. I seriously would not be able to keep the hobby if it weren't for CCOM. It generally takes me 3-5 days of emailing with Andy to find what I want at the price I want, but it means I get the smokes I want without having to give up my other vices :)
    This is pretty much where we are as well, except its much less defined. For us there is no set monthly amount, but more of a "ok we're caught up this month and still have some left over, what do we want to do with it. . . .?" Sometimes that overage ends up in discrestionary stuff, or sometimes, its stuff for the house. This month, I'm knocking down about 50 ft of fence and rebuilding it with what would have been the cigar budget and her clothes budget, becuase that fence wasn't going to last another winter and it sucks when the dogs get out. But thats what works outs well for us. The good thing is that we're both on the same page and don't judge each other's spending.

My suggestion is talk it over with her and find out what works for you guys. My guess is that it probably shouldn't be much different than what you guys do for everything else though. Also keep in mind that you might not figure it out on the first try, but keep at it, and be upfront with her and it'll sort itself out.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    So the wife recently came to me and stated maybe I should get my own account for strictly cigars.....intially I said WTF why the hell not but then being a woman I said why is she suggesting this....I haven't figured it out yet but, I think I am going to take the bait.....What say ye, how does the cigar budget in your household work? DD don't feel you need to comment because it is obvious you don't have a budget. HA J/k.
    One thing that I forgot to mention is Visa gift cards work great for those must-have "off the record" purchases Wink [;)] Just sayin. 
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Fortunately for me, my wife of 29 years realizes how much I enjoy smoking/collecting cigars. She hasnt imposed a limit yet. In fact, has gone with me to buy cigars several times. I have very few vices, but this has become one.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I love my Business account...
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Great to hear the responses. The wife hasn't complained about the budget she was suggesting it as an ease of payment type of thing so I am not taking from our joint account to do it and paying the account back with cash. We are pretty frugal about money, and we don't purchase much other than the necessities so it is working well for us. just thought it would be interesting to see others views.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my wife an i have 6 basic accounts between the two of us. we have our joint account that pays the bills. we have our joint account that is saving to build a house and we each have out own savings account for long term savings and then we each have our own personal accounts for fun money. she buys all her shoes on that account. i buy all my cigars on my account. neither of us can tell each other how to spend our own money.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    My budget in the past stays around 30-40 bucks. But recently with gas prices the way they are with my daily 100 mile commute, my $1000 to fix my car, bday party deposit for my son, has really tapped me out so my budget right nowis a big fat 0.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I think my record breaking month I spent $637 on cigars.
    Now I'm down to just the COTMC

• Options
    My record is $537, or at least that's what my wifes angry text told me. My daughter just started college, so it is tight at the moment.
  • Options
    doromath:

+1 we have everything in the budget we set. So we know taxes, tag, gas, food, and everything else as well as our own spending money each week. It's not much because we don't have much coming in but its mine.
  • Options
    Cigar budget? What language is that? Having a hard time understanding the question. :)
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Husker44:
    Cigar budget? What language is that? Having a hard time understanding the question. :)

Haha big +1 to this! Love it
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    well the girlfriend would love to put a limit on my spendeing, but its my money so i make the rules.
    in this economy i try to limit myself to 1 box per month.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have a Cigar Budget.... When I wanna raise the Limit I just "Budge-It" up to fit my needs!

Latest convo when I got Tim's last deal
    GF: "I Thought you were going to slow down on purchasing cigars?"
    ME: "Yeah....."
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Lasabar:
    I have a Cigar Budget.... When I wanna raise the Limit I just "Budge-It" up to fit my needs!

Latest convo when I got Tim's last deal
    GF: "I Thought you were going to slow down on purchasing cigars?"
    ME: "Yeah....."
    phenomenal. +100 LOL
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    No budget, but thankfully it's rarely a point of contention. I can't count how many times I said my cigar spending would stop for a while only to go and spend a good chunk on the latest deal. Oh well, bills are paid, money is being saved, so I'm not too concerned.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    My wife knows that I love cigars and never questions my purchasing, the only thing she questions is space. I am hoping in the next 5 years when we build an upstairs I will have an office with a walkin humidor.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I've spent 0$ in a month on cigars, and I've spent 1500$ in a month on cigars... it varies.