Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars as pipe tobacco?

I've got a couple cigars that I didn't take particularly good care of. They now have cracked wraps, and are more or less unsmokable. I've been thinking of trying to cut them up and use them as pipe tobacco.

I'll obviously have to moisten to leaves somehow, but I'm unsure beyond that. Has anyone tried this? Anyone have advice? Is it worth the effort? Will it even taste good or burn evenly?

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I have never tried it myself but there are pipe tobacco blends that use cigar leaf in them. The key difference is that they are using wrapper leaves blending with other common types of tobacco not just cigar leaves. I would guess that it would not taste even close to the same as the cigar because you would not have the cut up tobacco mixed exactly as the blender did to get the flavor. In other words you will have too much filler in the pipe and not enough wrapper, etc. over the course of the several bowls you will get out of the cigar.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    J.S.:
    I have never tried it myself but there are pipe tobacco blends that use cigar leaf in them. The key difference is that they are using wrapper leaves blending with other common types of tobacco not just cigar leaves. I would guess that it would not taste even close to the same as the cigar because you would not have the cut up tobacco mixed exactly as the blender did to get the flavor. In other words you will have too much filler in the pipe and not enough wrapper, etc. over the course of the several bowls you will get out of the cigar.

My thoughts exactly, cigars are blended to taste equal parts wrapper/filler/binder on each puff. Ever had a cigar tunnel so bad all your getting is flavor from filler and maybe some binder? Not good.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    There is a few guys here that cut cigars and mix them with their pipe tobacco. Tim mixes Javas in with other pipe tobacco for his own house blend. Andre gave back the store bought stuff and went back for Tim's blend! So it is possible to blend some tasty tobacco.

I've always heard that smoking straight cigar in a pipe could cause damage due to the high heat. I have never experienced this nor have I seen/heard someone that ruined a pipe. Someone here maybe able to chime in an comment on the truth/false of that. Either way, I'd mix just to be on the safe side until. Maybe you will create some great blends.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It's kinda hillbilly, but some people stick their cigars in their pipes, and then cut the cigar down so it doesn't stick out the top. Never done it myself, but I've heard it's not too bad