Home General Discussion
Options

Relighting cigars

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know most people consider this a sin but with my job I do this often. I work 2 six hour shifts a day so I smoke half one watch and the other half the next. I've found that if I don't smoke the first half to far down and blow my smoke out of the stick after each puff, and blow out the carbon after toasting it on the relight before taking the first puff that the taste usually isn't affected to much.

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have tried and a couple were ok but most were not so i will relight one within a few hours but not the next day anymore
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    When I first tried my hand at cigars, I picked up a few 5 dollar sticks from the local cigar shop and would smoke an inch or so at a time over the course of a few days. Looking back, I was nuts. The flavor was truly terrible after the first go at it (not that I purged or stored them correctly in the first place). I still detect some harshness when relighting after mere moments of the cigar being out, so I don't think I could go much beyond that amount of time, but that's just me.
  • Options
    It's definitely not as good as a nice fresh one. But I'm too cheap and on too tight a budget to smoke 2 a day and I really like to have a few puffs every watch and I seldom get more than 30 or 40 mins without having to let them go out for one reason or another. Most of what I bring out with me ate El Cheapos so no biggie I save my good ones for when I know I'll have time to really enjoy them. Gonna have to give those arganese maduros a try I hear they aren't bad at 1.75$ a stick it would be a good stick for the boat.
  • Options
    Have you considered cutting a cigar in half? I know it's not the way blends are intended to be enjoyed, but seems like you could take a Churchill, cut it in half, and have a 30 or 40 minute smoke on your hand for two sessions. Might be a good compromise.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    While in Afghanistan, a friend and I used to pick-up churchhills to cut in half. When we stopped for an hour or so, we'd smoke half and save the other half for later. I'd usually vote against smoking pieces but sometimes work has its restraints and I'd hate to ruin a whole smoke. Cutting those in half usually gave about 35-45 min of smoke time. If you don't want to relight a tasty cigar, maybe you could cut some longer smokes in half.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    Have you considered cutting a cigar in half? I know it's not the way blends are intended to be enjoyed, but seems like you could take a Churchill, cut it in half, and have a 30 or 40 minute smoke on your hand for two sessions. Might be a good compromise.
    if i have too this is what i do and find to be the most effective way
  • Options
    I've thought about it but I didn't want to chance the wrapper coming apart, I guess I could put a thin piece of tape or slide the band down to just below where I make the cut so the wrapper won't unravel. I might give that a try.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before cutting cigars and chancing damage, I'd just pick up some corona's. The shorter ones burn in 20-30 minutes, and most offer tons of flavor due to the higher wrapper to filler ratio! If you shop around, there's some really good deals to be found on some tasty sticks!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    dbeckom:
    Before cutting cigars and chancing damage, I'd just pick up some corona's. The shorter ones burn in 20-30 minutes, and most offer tons of flavor due to the higher wrapper to filler ratio! If you shop around, there's some really good deals to be found on some tasty sticks!
    +1
  • Options
    dbeckom:
    Reminds me of the time I picked up some 5 Vegas Classic Coronas for a buck a piece. Thanks ccom! Just goes to show that good cigars can be had for way way cheap if you find your budget is low.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It depends on the stick. I'll light that Opus the next day. LOL
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    beatnic:
    It depends on the stick. I'll light that Opus the next day. LOL
    You would let an Opus X go out ???? Isn't there a law against that somewhere?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't smoke unless I have the time to sit and enjoy the whole stick. Otherwise I feel rushed, and bit cheated. Not relaxing at all. But if you want to relight your sticks, go for it, it's your cigar.

It's kinda the same thing with laying down a stick early. Some folks get all weird about it, but if I'm not enjoying it, what the Hell's the point?
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    When I am busy like that I like to take a tin with me. The smaller cigars work great for times where I don't have time for a larger one but still would like to enjoy one. I really like some of the tins out there. I think the are very similar to the full sized stick.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I have done it a few times with yard gars that I had to stop smoking for one reason or another.
    What I do is major surgery. I re- cut both the foot and cap - the cap at least 1/4 inch, and the foot at least 1/2 inch+ past the dead cherry - I lose about an inch of the stick, but it is at least somewhat smokeable.........I'd never do this with a decent stick though.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I don't smoke unless I have the time to sit and enjoy the whole stick. Otherwise I feel rushed, and bit cheated. Not relaxing at all. But if you want to relight your sticks, go for it, it's your cigar.

It's kinda the same thing with laying down a stick early. Some folks get all weird about it, but if I'm not enjoying it, what the Hell's the point?
    +1 well said Russ! Although, I will add that I'll partake in a American Spirit Black pack if a short-term gratification need, needs to be met.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Russ55:

agreed, and agreed.
  • Options
    Gotta agree with the rest of the guys. I would add that ccom had a nice video (I think it was the bbq part 1) that gave the idea that if you need to put the cigar down or cannot smoke it for a while, you may want to entertain cutting off the burning end and relighting when you come back out. I have never tried it but it seems like a good idea that could work.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:

this is me exactly.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I never light up a stick unless I know I will have the time to commit to the cigar. Whole point for me is to relax and enjoy it. If I have to put down the stick, I never relight it, just can't get over that smell. Just nasty

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:

this is me exactly.
    Agreed. This is one of the reasons why I smoke mainly robustos and coronas (there are several other reasons, of course, but this thread is about relighting... lol). I enjoy a big cigar or a slow burning cigar when the occasion calls for it, but for everyday stuff, I like to stick with something that burns in less than an hour, so that I can fully enjoy the whole stick at the pace it deserves to be smoked.
  • Options
    All very good points.guess because my sense of smell is jacked I just don't mind the smell and taset of a relit stick, even when it's been hours.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    granneja:
    Gotta agree with the rest of the guys. I would add that ccom had a nice video (I think it was the bbq part 1) that gave the idea that if you need to put the cigar down or cannot smoke it for a while, you may want to entertain cutting off the burning end and relighting when you come back out. I have never tried it but it seems like a good idea that could work.

I have had to do this a couple of times actually. I have 2 year old twins that get into everything, so from time to time I've had to lay one down, and go back inside to attend to them. So if you have to do it, this is the way to go.