Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar and Beer pairings

What is everbody's favorite cigar and beer pairings? Also, what's a good cigar (other than the new Oktoberfest Quesada) to pair with an Octoberfest beer?

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and anything maduro. Im a dark beer and dark stick kinda guy. If you can see through beer......... It aint beer.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I generally prefer wine with my cigars ya can't go wrong with Chimay, anything from Anderson Valley Brewing, anything from Mendocino Brewing Company, anything from Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas IPA/Harry eyeball, Anchor Brewing, St. Pauli Girl Dark, Beck's Oktoberfest, Guinness Extra Stout, Smithwicks, Bass Ale, Modelo Negra, Widmere Bros. Heffiwizen. Just to name a few. There are really so many nice beers/cigars but I generally agree with the above poster about maduro/beer pairings. The sweet helps off-set some of the conflicting flavors that can happen with beer/cigars pairings. I have found that I can drink just about any beer with any cigar as long as I wait about a min after a sip/guzzle of beer in between puffs in order to let the palate refresh but I can still taste a detectable difference for up to 3 additional puffs before everything is back on track. Therefore, I usually only sip on a beer in between every half-dozen puffs or so, more or less to clean the throat and refresh the palate. If I am having a long beer session I'll just smoke one of my value sticks and save the better stuff for when the cigar is the main event. I should add that I never really had a cigar that improved/enhanced with beer like I have with wine. I see it as more finding a happy medium to allow both to exist and be enjoyed together whereas wine (especially dark reds) compliments/enhances cigars on many occasions. YMMV.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    firetruckguy:
    Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and anything maduro. Im a dark beer and dark stick kinda guy. If you can see through beer......... It aint beer.
    If it comes in a 30 pack... it ain't beer.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    firetruckguy:
    . If you can see through beer......... It aint beer.

My IPA says otherwise.
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Just keep an eye on the face book. I just got a new keg yesturday so I will post something tonight on my pairing.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Just keep an eye on the face book. I just got a new keg yesturday so I will post something tonight on my pairing.
    I don't have the face book. I will wait for someone to post it here.
  • Options
    Fat Tire and Padron - tough combination to beat.

When I go to the local cigar bar I typically opt for Guinness, but if I'm just having 1 beer and 1 cigar then I prefer Fat Tire.
  • Options
    I usually pair with boulevard wheat, but for the next 3 months, everything will pair with Sam Adams octoberfest! Best time of year, football and octoberfest!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    this badass BOTL named Bigfoot turned me on to this beer made by Cigar City Brewing : Maduro Brown Ale, myself, Long_ashes, and the rest of the crap Cigar team got to drink a few of these at Cigarfest this year, now this time around since my palate isn't completely shot from smoking 25-ish cigars + inhaling about 30000 more from everyone else will get paired tonight with a Diesel Shorty. Will post later if it turns out nicely, also Bigfoot = PsychoSJG or somethin
  • Options
    I typically like Trappists or hoppy IPAs with medium to full sticks and lagers with medium sticks. Some of my favorites are Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus ABT 12, Chimay, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, spaten Oktoberfest, Guinness. However, lately I've been on a red stripe kick for some reason but some other great lagers ive paired with are yuengling, fat tire, dos equis amber, pacifico, anything from stone brewing co, magic hat, rogue, or Sam Adams etc. I could go on and on about beer but there would be too many run on sentences and I would sound like a raging alcoholic

hmm...I suddenly just got very thirsty...
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I'm up for a Kristoff Criollo (short robusto) with shiner bock.....
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    CvilleE:
    I'm up for a Kristoff Criollo (short robusto) with shiner bock.....
    I like where your head's at!
  • Options
    There really are so many nice beer / cigar, but I generally agree with the above poster about Maduro / beer pairings. The sweet help off-set some of the conflicting versions that can happen with beer / cigar pairings.
  • Options
    Sticks with a maduro-ish profile pair really well with Sam Adams Cream Stout. I really love a good IPA with peppery sticks like the MoW PA. Stone IPA, or Sierra Nevada Torpedo come to mind.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Not having done much of a "Pairing" Per se, but Miller Lite is what I usually have with a cigar!!!
  • Options
    A lot of great choices. I homebrew a lot, more than my wife would like. This thought is always in the back of my mind when thinking about what to brew Honestly one of the best pairings I have had recently is Scotch Ales and a Conny, like a Perdomo Champagne They really pair well and kind of unexplained to me. I actually have purchased a case of Bellhaven this month due to it. It also pairs well with Corojos but the Conny is a bit better otherwise I like a nice porter like Black Butte