Home General Discussion
Options

Noob-- Just Scored a new to me humidor. Got a few questions?

New Cigar smoker to the forum. Friend of Lakota and RCY, they finally got me on here. Finally upgraded from my travel case to a nice 150ct Humidor. Got a couple questions. First off, got a great buy on it. Only paid $40 for it and it has about 30-40 Thompson brand Cigars. Unknown time on last time humidifiers were freshed up. It is showing at 60% right now. So I know I need to get it up before I add my sticks to it. What about the contents of it now though. Can I save them? Or are they even worth saving? If I can save them what should I do with them. Right now it has a regular guage on it, I will be ordering a digital one soon just to make sure its right, What else should I do with it. Also, as far as home storage, is it ok to store up high in a room or does it matter. Also, I'm open to suggestons of what types of sticks to buy. I have tried several sampler mixed up packs and really enjoyed alot. Honestly I really could not pick a favorite yet. So far I really enjoy the Mediums the most but have had a few full body that I liked.

Comments

• Options
    image This is what I got, Have not read much good about these Thompsons , any help would be appreciated. I am better off tossing to the bon fire and trying to fill this up with my own stuff or attempt to save them. Or this could be a really nasty bomb to send to someone.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 RH is real bad but I'd get the humidity up to 65/68 before adding any new sticks, as far as the ones in there now they are probably salvageable,for a humi that size get you some beads if it just has the foam in it they will eventually grow mold. And if you want to order sticks you can just put them in any airtight clean container/ziplock bag with some humicare pillows till your humi is ready. But I'd do a salt test on your hygrometer off the bat and recalibrate if needed. Look thru cigars 101 all the info on how todo this is there.
  • Options
    Those Thompson sticks would make a good crap pass?
  • Options
    Thanks, I will keep my own sticks in my little 15 ct travel case til I get it ready, I have no idea how long these have been at 60, This was a craigslist find for only $40. Couldnt pass it up.
  • Options
    It's a nice looking humi. Be sure to do the dollar bill test on it.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Alright Highspeed, you will have a PM in about a hour and a half. Read it clearly and then repost.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Okay. The Thompson brand sticks are probably better sent to the incinerator (and I'm not trying to be cute about saying smoke them... I mean burn them, like a bunch of diseased carcasses) Now, as for the humidor, as long as it seals well, it is worth saving. Just buy a digital hygrometer, and a large tube of Heartfelt beads, and spritz about 2/3 of them with distilled water (mist them, don't drench them). This should be all you need to set up, and maintain the humidor properly. Again, as for the Thompson's sticks... fertilizer (though your yard might even be smart enough to not enjoy them). Generally, if you are going to be storing a variety of cigars in a single humidor, I find that 65% relative humidity is ideal, because it keeps cigars properly humidified for perpetuity, but also keeps them from being too wet to burn properly when smoked. As for height of storage... it doesn't matter, unless of course the ambient humidity and temperature are somehow significantly higher or lower than lower areas (lol? wut). As for medium bodied cigars, Arturo Fuente, EP Carrillo, and La Aurora make some of my favorites. There are so many different cigars out there though, that making recommendations without far more specific info can be pretty pointless. I recommend reading reviews, as there are a ton of great review sites out there with varying levels of in depth information and descriptions of cigars on the web. Or just call CCom, establish a relationship with a sales rep (Andy is the man, Kelly is a babe, and Tim is something of an all powerful deity figure in the community, and he has a habit of seducing my wallet into further and further spending) and get them to build you something custom to your tastes, as their job is basically to take what you know and like, and be able to translate it into suggestions... and they are all awesome at their jobs.

EDIT* Also, just saw that you are in the DirtyBurg... I am a UMW alumn, and live in Richmond. If you ever want to get together for a herf... lemme know dude.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Doc thanks. I'm having a cigar right now. But I will call him. He is closer to you then I.
  • Options
    Thanks Doc, I think RCY may be able to make some use out of all these Thompsons, They can be filler space for his new cabinet. Definitely get together sometime. Maybe a trip down there to a cigar bar or b&m or if your ever up here Baileys in central park has a cigar friendly bar and restaurant.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    dopeyferree:
    Thanks Doc, I think RCY may be able to make some use out of all these Thompsons, They can be filler space for his new cabinet. Definitely get together sometime. Maybe a trip down there to a cigar bar or b&m or if your ever up here Baileys in central park has a cigar friendly bar and restaurant.
    Oh nice. I wasn't a cigar smoker in college, so I didn't know Bailey's was smoke friendly, but yeah, definitely have to get together sometime.
  • Options
    Just did a count , I have 61 thompson sticks. Half green lable half browns. If anyone is interested in them let me know.
  • Options
    I'll go against the grain and say that 60% humidity isn't so bad. Some people prefer humidity in the low-60s; it's all a matter of preference. Cigars aren't as sensitive as some people think, and 60% certainly isn't low enough to damage cigars.

That said, even in ideal conditions the Thompson sticks won't be good. They're bad enough to turn off a newbie to cigars entirely. I'd recommend buying some decent smokes and ignoring the Thompson sticks.
  • Options
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    dopeyferree:
    Just did a count , I have 61 thompson sticks. Half green lable half browns. If anyone is interested in them let me know.
    Welcome to the forum brother and you have a PM
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    MTuccelli:
    dopeyferree:
    Please don't tell me you're gonna acquire these... nobody deserves that... we all know what you will do with them. lol

BTW, welcome to the forum dopeyferree! Nice to have ya!
  • Options
    BigT06:
    MTuccelli:
    dopeyferree:
    Please don't tell me you're gonna acquire these... nobody deserves that... we all know what you will do with them. lol

Actually I thought I would smoke them.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    I'll go against the grain and say that 60% humidity isn't so bad. Some people prefer humidity in the low-60s; it's all a matter of preference. Cigars aren't as sensitive as some people think, and 60% certainly isn't low enough to damage cigars.

That said, even in ideal conditions the Thompson sticks won't be good. They're bad enough to turn off a newbie to cigars entirely. I'd recommend buying some decent smokes and ignoring the Thompson sticks.
    I agree, I prefer my sticks around 65% and I let mine go down to 60% plenty of times without any ill effects. Considering the hygrometer it may not even be that low. The digital is a much better version. As far as the Thompson's, definitely crap pass material
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Those Thompson sticks would make a good crap pass?
    I concur. Or you could smoke one and post about it on the Cigars that taste like goat ass thread.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    BigT06:
    MTuccelli:
    dopeyferree:

I think I'm with BigT06. First thing I thought of was the Dog Rockets you've been sending out.
  • Options
    So I just wanted to make a quick post seperate from the jabs I have thrown out thusfar. To everyone on the forum, Darrell is a great guy and you will see that he is into learning about the hobby we have. I would recommend doing a trade with him and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Just be careful if you bomb him. He doesn't take too kindly to rounds coming his way. If he has to, he'll drive and personally deliver you a nuclear bomb. I know this because I was the recipient of one. Welcome to the forum Darrell and can't wait to see what happens to that 150 ct. Better get something bigger. I suggest the Sam's Club cooler. lol

WARNO--When I get home from my conference--Be prepared.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I would go thru the forums and read the seasoning a humi threads , I would def re-season it . As far as beads or gels etc . being a newbie do yourself a favor. BUY SOME BOVEDA PACKS !!! Open , drop in and forget about them . I change mine every 10 weeks and they work perfect . I use the 69's which keeps me at 67-68 every time . They are a tad bit more in the long run but you really do drop and forget . No spritzing no nothing no worries no checking up on them etc . Its the only thing I use .
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    MTuccelli:
    BigT06:
    MTuccelli:
    dopeyferree:

I think I'm with BigT06. First thing I thought of was the Dog Rockets you've been sending out.
    You and BigT just made the short list!!
  • Options
    Going to get tne humi going, lakota, you need to let me know how that monster stick is. Going to add a few more to my humi once its set. Local b& m has them
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    MTuccelli:
    Lakota72:
    MTuccelli:
    BigT06:
    MTuccelli:
    dopeyferree:

You and BigT just made the short list!!
    sweet Jesus... I guess I should've kept my mouth shut. lol