Home General Discussion
Options

1 Hour Cigars

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
As I sat on my deck last night smoking an UHC I was forced to wear a coat outside for the first time in many months, as it was cool and windy. My thoughts turned to the cold, short days and the freezing garage smoking to come. I then began to wonder-what would the forum Brothers recommend as their favorite 1 hour cigars? I would like to begin the process of loading the humi for some fall/winter smoking. So....what are your favorite 1 hour cigars? Mine currently are: MOW PA for a mid-priced stick and Padron 1964 Anni Principe for special occasions.

Comments

• Options
    It's funny; to me, a one-hour smoke is a big stick whereas you're implying it's a small cigar. For Padron 1964, the Diplomatico is close to a one-hour cigar (a little bit more). The Principe would be nothing more than a memory after an hour.

I think most people are in the same boat as you - but I'm always amazed when I read about people smoking a robusto for 1 1/2 hours.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    It's funny; to me, a one-hour smoke is a big stick whereas you're implying it's a small cigar. For Padron 1964, the Diplomatico is close to a one-hour cigar (a little bit more). The Principe would be nothing more than a memory after an hour.

I think most people are in the same boat as you - but I'm always amazed when I read about people smoking a robusto for 1 1/2 hours.
    Guess I should have said one hour or less...
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have taken a liking to all cigars in the Robusto size. I say stick with your favs in a smaller size
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to prefer the robusto size myself, it's just about the right timing before my wife starts complaining?
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I'm a robusto and corona guy anyways... but some fav winter time smokes are: MoW PA, CAO Lx2, San Cristobal Classico, Cuba Libre One, pretty much any Camacho...

I tend to smoke full bodies cigars that give me something besides being cold to think about, and that can burn in less than an hr...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Unthought_Known:

You're smoking too fast then probably. Only draw once or twice per minute at most.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Unthought_Known:

You're smoking too fast then probably. Only draw once or twice per minute at most.
    Can't be done. I've tried to slow down, and I just can't. I get too bored. If I'm chatting with someone or watching a ballgame, it's fine - but when I smoke while reading or just relaxing, then I can't limit myself to 1-2 puffs per minute. On the bright side, I rarely have a bad burn - the ash doesn't start to cone on me.

As for the original question, I agree with other advice given. Buy a smaller size of your favorites. My favorite is Padron, so if I'm looking for a quick smoke then I go for a Londres. The only problem is that you don't get as much bang for your buck. A corona might be 1/2 the size of a Toro, but it's more than half the price.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    A corona might be 1/2 the size of a Toro, but it's more than half the price.
    i disagree. i get 1 1/2 hours out of a robusto, almost 2 out of a toro. i get a touch over an hour (1:05 or 1:10) out of a corona. i also get more flavor. more than half the price but higher bang to buck ratio.

10 posts till 10K
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Last year I loaded up with the 5 Vegas Corona (5.5 x 44) and the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 (5 x 50). Both are excellent smokes and what's better is that they are are priced right, especially since some nights gets too cold. I don't feel bad if I have to put them down early.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I usually smoke robustos during winter, they last between an hour and a half. But if it's really cold I will smoke one of my cigarillos. Good little cigars that last about 15-20min.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The Tatuaje Havana VI is great in smaller corona sizes. I don't know if I have the Angeles or the Verocu no. 5 because they came in a daily deal a while back, but I can't imagine the 1/8 inch ring difference makes a giant taste difference and the Verocu is shorter.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    The Tatuaje Havana VI is great in smaller corona sizes. I don't know if I have the Angeles or the Verocu no. 5 because they came in a daily deal a while back, but I can't imagine the 1/8 inch ring difference makes a giant taste difference and the Verocu is shorter.
    since i am not a tatuaje **** i am unsure on if these are reblended for each vitola or if these vary from size to size. 1/8th an inch may not be the issue if its reblended to be something completely different.

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I'm a robusto and corona guy myself. I usually stock up on some pettite coronas for winter - definitely less than an hour smoke - ususally about 35-40 minutes for me. I even keep some tins /cigarillos /cubanitos - whatever you want to call them - for some really quick smokes. They work in a pinch but usually leave me wanting for a real cigar. I don't get that from the petitte coronas though - they usually do the trick.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    since i am not a tatuaje **** i am unsure on if these are reblended for each vitola or if these vary from size to size. 1/8th an inch may not be the issue if its reblended to be something completely different.

Hmmmm...might just have to grab a ruler then...

EDIT: The beard is mightier than the ruler. And the beard says it is the Angeles, which unfortunately is not currently in stock.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1....Slow down dude...enjoy the ride. Nice and slow.....
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I've been experimenting this summer with different sizes to find one that would work for a 45min - 1 hour smoke. For me, the corona size is the best. I can usually enjoy this size for 45 min - 1 1/2 hours. The robusto size is now taking me 1 3/4 hours or more. I called into ccom last week and got a smapler of different corona sizes since I don't have many of that size in my stash. Give them a call. One of the reps will help you put together a sampler of your likes!

Rob
  • Options
    Some great suggestions here....I'll have to give The Beard a call.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    If I know I have the time for a shorter smoke I will go for a MOW PA like others have said but if I'm unsure at all and don't wanna risk lighting one up and then half way having to put it out I'll reach for the old handy dandy Sungrown Label Robusto. Even if I only get half way through it then so be it, with the price point where it's at on the house labels you can't go wrong even if you have to put it down early.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Robustos are a good hour smoke, as are coronas. The Ccom Sun Grown to me is a quick burning robusto that's great for the winter months. For something even shorter, I've found that the 5 Vegas A Anomaly fits the bill.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    ENFIDL:
    If I know I have the time for a shorter smoke I will go for a MOW PA like others have said but if I'm unsure at all and don't wanna risk lighting one up and then half way having to put it out I'll reach for the old handy dandy Sungrown Label Robusto. Even if I only get half way through it then so be it, with the price point where it's at on the house labels you can't go wrong even if you have to put it down early.
    I'm guessing it's because this cigar is so oily, but it takes me longer to smoke a MoW PA than robustos of other blends.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    ENFIDL:
    I'm guessing it's because this cigar is so oily, but it takes me longer to smoke a MoW PA than robustos of other blends.
    it's not just the oil. It's also because the PA is so strong that it forces yountonslow down. Truth be told, you should prob smoke everything as slow as you smoke PA to truly enjoy it. But to each his own. I smoke some sticks much faster than others... It's just a preference thing.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    JudoChinX:
    ENFIDL:
    it's not just the oil. It's also because the PA is so strong that it forces yountonslow down. Truth be told, you should prob smoke everything as slow as you smoke PA to truly enjoy it. But to each his own. I smoke some sticks much faster than others... It's just a preference thing.
    I agree. I probably should slow down. I think some of the reason I've been smoking a bit faster, and it's not insanely fast or anything, is that when I'd ash, I'd often have to relight and my cigars would tend to tunnel which seemed to mean that I was smoking too slow. Now that I've sped things up slightly, I'm able to maintain a nice, yet subtle, cone when ashing.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:
    JudoChinX:
    ENFIDL:
    I agree. I probably should slow down. I think some of the reason I've been smoking a bit faster, and it's not insanely fast or anything, is that when I'd ash, I'd often have to relight and my cigars would tend to tunnel which seemed to mean that I was smoking too slow. Now that I've sped things up slightly, I'm able to maintain a nice, yet subtle, cone when ashing.
    if you're getting a cone, you should prob slow down... that typically means the wrapper is burning faster than the filler (which combusts slower in many cases) and that can unbalance the profile of the cigar, in terms of taste.

try this: purge your cigar about 2 puff before you plan on ashing. This should create a break line in the ash, therefore allowing you to gently roll or tap it off without coning the ash. It also ensures that any extra heat goes out of the end of the cigar rather than into the remaining portion.

it won't be necessary every time you want to ash, but if you are having trouble with relights and coning, it should troubleshoot it on a need-to basis.

you can also do a gentle purge right after you ash the cigar, this will keep the entire foot burning without fear of messing up your burn line.

just as with puffing the cigar, you should let the cherry cool back down before pulling another puff off the cigar after purging to keep the temp of the smoke cool. Like I said, you won't have to do this with every cigar, but it is very easy to do once you get a feel for the technique and the individual stick, and should solve most of the relighting problems, without forcing you to smoke faster than intended.

just my 2 cents... :)
  • Options
    BigT06:
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:
    JudoChinX:
    ENFIDL:
    if you're getting a cone, you should prob slow down... that typically means the wrapper is burning faster than the filler (which combusts slower in many cases) and that can unbalance the profile of the cigar, in terms of taste.

try this: purge your cigar about 2 puff before you plan on ashing. This should create a break line in the ash, therefore allowing you to gently roll or tap it off without coning the ash. It also ensures that any extra heat goes out of the end of the cigar rather than into the remaining portion.

it won't be necessary every time you want to ash, but if you are having trouble with relights and coning, it should troubleshoot it on a need-to basis.

you can also do a gentle purge right after you ash the cigar, this will keep the entire foot burning without fear of messing up your burn line.

just as with puffing the cigar, you should let the cherry cool back down before pulling another puff off the cigar after purging to keep the temp of the smoke cool. Like I said, you won't have to do this with every cigar, but it is very easy to do once you get a feel for the technique and the individual stick, and should solve most of the relighting problems, without forcing you to smoke faster than intended.

just my 2 cents... :)
    Thanks man! I'll give those tips a shot.
  • Options
    a cone is not necessarily a bad thing. if you have one the height of the cone should be around 1/2 the with of the ring at most. in very general terms, this will ensure that it is getting the correct "mix" in the burn.

the cone is actually normal if it is not too high.

when a cigar is bunched the ligero is placed in the hand last so that it ends up in the middle of the cigar. Ligero is a thicker heavier leaf that burns much more difficultly so having seco and or valado surrounding it promotes combustion. it still burns slower. the slower burning leaf forms the cone.

there is actually a cigar that plays off of this. Berger & Argenti Entubar has a tube of ligero that is bunched and rolled and then re-bunched into the cigar as a center "rod" of ligero. this does two things (so they claim)
    1) ensures a smooth draw
    2) "virtually assures a perfect conical burn"

the concept that the tube of ligero sticks out further than the rest of the filler is that the cigar needs no time to "settle in" because you are getting the "right mix" in the burn from the get go.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    a cone is not necessarily a bad thing. if you have one the height of the cone should be around 1/2 the with of the ring at most. in very general terms, this will ensure that it is getting the correct "mix" in the burn.

the cone is actually normal if it is not too high.

when a cigar is bunched the ligero is placed in the hand last so that it ends up in the middle of the cigar. Ligero is a thicker heavier leaf that burns much more difficultly so having seco and or valado surrounding it promotes combustion. it still burns slower. the slower burning leaf forms the cone.

there is actually a cigar that plays off of this. Berger & Argenti Entubar has a tube of ligero that is bunched and rolled and then re-bunched into the cigar as a center "rod" of ligero. this does two things (so they claim)
    1) ensures a smooth draw
    2) "virtually assures a perfect conical burn"

the concept that the tube of ligero sticks out further than the rest of the filler is that the cigar needs no time to "settle in" because you are getting the "right mix" in the burn from the get go.
    thanks for the info! That's why I love this forum. I quite literally learn something new every day!

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the ash has a cone that is normal or acceptable, it will only be in the very center of the cigar, and there will be a noticeable "edge" so-to-speak around the outside/top of the ash that will continue to burn straight across?

I have noticed in my full bodied sticks that there is a clear concentration in the very center of the ash (I am assuming that this would typically be a cone would form if I knocked the ash off more frequently). I very rarely have an actual cone though, because i like to let my ash reach the point where it would naturally fall off in the ash tray on its own, so that I don't have to tap it very hard. I feel like having some extra ash on the foot keeps my cigars burning better.

it is definitely nice to know that if I do get some "cone-age", I don't have to sweat it. Thanks kuzi.
  • Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    I agree the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 is perfect in price, taste and smoke time. I have some more on the way. Heck I usually like a slightly bigger smoke in a torpedo but the Gran Habano is nice.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    correct me if I'm wrong, but if the ash has a cone that is normal or acceptable, it will only be in the very center of the cigar, and there will be a noticeable "edge" so-to-speak around the outside/top of the ash that will continue to burn straight across?
    maybe.
    it depends on many factors... how fast you smoke, how its constructed, how you ash, how long the draws are when you do draw, the frequency of draw, etc...

but in general, the ligero will burn slower. if there is ligero right next to seco then there may be a bigger difference that if it was next to valado.