Home General Discussion
Options

I'm over the ligero bombs.

Just smoked one of the SWAG torpedos from this months COTMC. Not bad, but there's just no subtlety or complexity to these all ligero smokes.

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Have you tried the Camacho Triple Maduro. I'm a maduro **** and the Camacho Triple Maduro is at the top of the list for me. Worth a try in my book!! Shoot, I'd buy a box if I could get away with it!
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Have you tried the Camacho Triple Maduro. I'm a maduro **** and the Camacho Triple Maduro is at the top of the list for me. Worth a try in my book!! Shoot, I'd buy a box if I could get away with it!
    i hear the camacho diploma maduro is the cats meow though
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ndhaon91:
    Just smoked one of the SWAG torpedos from this months COTMC. Not bad, but there's just no subtlety or complexity to these all ligero smokes.
    True. There's no pleasure in smoking a cigar just because it's full of nicotine; there's more to enjoying a cigar than getting a buzz, and it's something not every cigar fan understands

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    ndhaon91:
    True. There's no pleasure in smoking a cigar just because it's full of nicotine; there's more to enjoying a cigar than getting a buzz, and it's something not every cigar fan understands

... I am not a big fan of the cigar "hangover". (dizzy/puke). But it happens. I do enjoy the flavor profiles of cigars, and the magic relaxing qualities of a fine cigar.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    This is a fad I wouldn't miss once it fades away. The ligero-heavy smokes I've had felt way too one-dimensional.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Some of my favorite smokes I've had lately have been CCs from the early 2000's that literally have no ligero in the blend... volado and seco only. I've been tired of the ligero bomb trend for a while. Almost as long as I've been sick of the big ring gauge trend. Smoked a 28 ring gauge La Gloria Cubana MDO No. 3 from 2002 from Joe last night and it was AMAZING. Another smoke with little to no ligero, in a super thin ring gauge, that was amazingly flavorful and complex. Frankly, I hate ligero.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love ligero! I love the higher-priming full-bodied cigars the most but also appreciate some complexity and balance. I don't think this is a fad, I do, however, think that the nicotine bombs, for the sake of being beastly with no grace, will fade inevitably. Another thing to remember is that these types of sticks age very well, while many medium bodied sticks will loose considerable flavor after many years and a large number will go flat after 5 years. So while some may dislike some of these cigars now, in 5+ years that may change and you may find that some of these beasts age quite gracefully! A lot like many Cuban cigars do. When done right, ligero is like bacon, tastes good when complimenting/enhancing other flavors and combinations but a big huge platter one will get sick of rather quickly. Balance is the key and longevity of flavor is another factor to consider with regard long-term to aging. Just something to consider. Ligero fan for life! Long live ligero!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I agree. The cigars that are all vitamin N are a huge waste of time.
    I smoke for the flavor not for the feeling.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

agreed. i can do them now and again but i dont want a cigar i have to fight. i wanna relax with it.
    all that power is like a TV on a honeymoon: unnecessary

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:

agreed. i can do them now and again but i dont want a cigar i have to fight. i wanna relax with it.
    all that power is like a TV on a honeymoon: unnecessary

That is what is so great about this hobby is the range of available product for such a wide range of tastes.
    There are a TON of Ligero sticks out there that are flavor bombs. Not just strong, but well balanced and strong both in body and flavor.
    A lot sticks have some Ligero in them, mostly where the flavor comes from in some cases.
    There are a TON of Ligero based sticks that I love, it isn't about the strength, it's about the taste. Why would anyone want to smoke a cigar if they knew they would end up with hiccups and puking all over the place? Some cigars just aren't for some people, some like them full bodied some like them mild. Some like tons of flavor that hits you between the eye's and some like what they refer to as more complex or ever changing flavors that they like to chase around while the stick burns, and then they can try to discern the flavors. WHATEVER. I like mostly very full bodied flavor bombs, but I do enjoy a medium or even mild stick for a change once in a while. I don't feel the need to talk down a whole group of cigars in order to feel good about my choices.
    I smoke for the flavor as well, and I never feel any different after a stick then I do before... well except for that little bit of sadness that the experience has to end.
  • Options
    xmacro:
    There's no pleasure in smoking a cigar just because it's full of nicotine
    To me, that's the anti-pleasure! I hate when I find a great-tasting stick, but it's just too strong for me. That's what happened with the original Cain F. The first time I smoked it, I thought it was phenomenal. Great taste, great burn - a little one dimensional, but I liked the dimension. After a few of them, I realized they were just too strong for me and I didn't like the aftereffects.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I enjoy ligero, but I enjoy a lot of different cigars too. A lot of times when I open the humidor, my mood is the deciding factor in which stick I choose. When Im in the mood for a kick in the teeth or a punch in the gut emotion-wise, nothing satisfies like ligero.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    . I don't feel the need to talk down a whole group of cigars in order to feel good about my choices.
    im not talking down about cigars to feel good about my choices. i dont think anyone here is.

however, given what is in style right now (very strong cigars) it is way easier for someone who likes those to find quality ones where as it is a bit more difficult to find a quality mild to medium stick that is high quality for a reasonable price. that is why i am over them. i do like full bodied cigars from time to time

as far as them being a waste of time comment, i agreed with it because if they are all ONLY about power and not flavor then they are a waste of time. the camacho triple maduro is very full and i love it. that is never a waste of time.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I've been getting more and more into the medium bodied cigars, but that's not to say that I don't like milds or stronger cigars... but they're what I enjoy more often. Would you guys consider the MoW PA a ligero bomb?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    . I don't feel the need to talk down a whole group of cigars in order to feel good about my choices.
    im not talking down about cigars to feel good about my choices. i dont think anyone here is.

however, given what is in style right now (very strong cigars) it is way easier for someone who likes those to find quality ones where as it is a bit more difficult to find a quality mild to medium stick that is high quality for a reasonable price. that is why i am over them. i do like full bodied cigars from time to time

as far as them being a waste of time comment, i agreed with it because if they are all ONLY about power and not flavor then they are a waste of time. the camacho triple maduro is very full and i love it. that is never a waste of time.
    I do understand your view Matt, and I was not going to quote you on what you said and then I remembered how many new BOTL here read and rely on your posts. That is why I reponded the way I did.

What you said was ... agreed. i can do them now and again but i dont want a cigar i have to fight. i wanna relax with it. all that power is like a TV on a honeymoon: unnecessary
    As you mentioned yourself there are some KILLER sticks out there that are largely Ligero and some of these happen to be the most popular sticks on the market.
    I disagree that it is a fad, that will disappear. The growers have started to adjust the way they grow crops to get bigger crops from the same piece of land. (more Ligero)
    They have also started priming the plants differently then they used to and are removing lower leaves early and leaving more upper leaves on the plants longer. (more Ligero). You don't change the way an industry has historically worked just for a passing fad.

Ligero cigars are here to stay, and there are many of us who love them and find them very enjoyable. I just don't want to see a bunch a new or newer BOTL miss out on a whole range of sticks based on an opinion or comment that I felt was being a little harsh to some sticks that I personally love.
  • Options
    I normally like the ligero sticks. I smoked a LFD double ligero 700 (60 gauge). I don't know if it was because it was a monster size stick, but it was all power and no substance. Kind of disappointing. The flavor was all muddy tobacco. I have a few in the smaller ring that I will try again. I think the ligero bombs can be hit or miss, but +1 laker, folks don't need to mix out on ligero. There are tons of them out there that folks should try. I love the Cain ff.
  • Options
    I have to laugh here a bit. I'm a big fan of the ligero bombs. I always liked a strong cigar, and I'm glad that they are more readily available and diverse.

I smoked cigars through the 80's and quit in the early 90's after my divorce, shen I couldn't afford the smokes I liked anymore. Now I can again. Back then, I would complain because everyone smoked real mild cigars (Macanudos, Royal Jamacans, etc.) and very few were making higher end full flavored full bodied cigars. Now the opposite's the problem.

My time has come...
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    One of the reasons why I was attracted to the community of cigar smokers is the BOTL saying, "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." If everyone does that and the ligero bomb trend continues then so be it!

On the other hand, if as a culture we decide to pendulum swing back to the medium to mild side, then industry will accommodate us. Whatever makes them the most money is the largest determining factor in what and how they produce tobacco. And what makes us happy is what makes them money! (I'm intentionally neglecting how marketing influences the cigar culture because I think it has a secondary, lesser affect.)