Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

est 1844

I got these because they were staff favorites and they are harsh and bitter sticks not worth it at any price. Very disillusioned...

Comments

• Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I'm sad to hear this. I know most on the forums (myself included) who've picked up a box were very happy with their purchases. I'm sure there are many who'd be happy to help take those of your hands in a trade. ;)
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    I'm sad to hear this. I know most on the forums (myself included) who've picked up a box were very happy with their purchases. I'm sure there are many who'd be happy to help take those of your hands in a trade. ;)
    I would be happy to take them. Who is this guy coming into our forum, no introduction, and putting a cigar many of us enjoy on blast with his first post?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Jack Straw:
    I got these because they were staff favorites and they are harsh and bitter sticks not worth it at any price. Very disillusioned...
    How many have you tried? I have smoked a half dozen or so of these and they are actually pretty damn good sticks. For the money... one of the best deals in town. I am almost halfway through a box and have two more sitting in the coolerdor. Give them another shot, you may have just got a bum stick, it happens.
  • Options
    1844 is a good smoke in my opinion. My first rott was a bit harsh, but a bit of time in the humi (two weeks) pulled the harshness right out. Now the seem to only get better.
  • Options
    Oh and remember it is a 2 to 2.50 stick. IMO I think it is a great value stic that stand up to sticks two to three times it's price.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    Who is this guy coming into our forum, no introduction, and putting a cigar many of us enjoy on blast with his first post?

Agreed.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to try these out asap. I'll be placing an order this week for a sampler.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    Lakota72:
    Who is this guy coming into our forum, no introduction, and putting a cigar many of us enjoy on blast with his first post?

Agreed.
    Lt Dan, I'd love to know that myself. I think everyone here knows my of my love for the Est. 1844!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Considering no intro and first post I will just disregard those comments. I have smoked about 8 of the 10 I have and they get better every time I smoke them. The more rest they get the smoother they seem. I think it is a good value priced stick
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    dbeckom:
    skweekz:
    Lakota72:

Agreed.
    Lt Dan, I'd love to know that myself. I think everyone here knows my of my love for the Est. 1844!
    Dwayne, you're love for the Est. 1844 is unquestioned. LOL. As is the overwhelming opinion here on the forum.
  • Options
    I mean, every single one of the 1844's I have had have been great to smoke. I certainly don't take this for anymore than a very minsinformed post.

I will continue to support the 1844.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I learned my lesson about smoking cigars ROTT with the Diesel Unlimited d.5. It's amazing what just a couple of weeks in the humi will do for a cigar. The rest of the aging process, unfortunately, isn't near as quick. I'm scheduled to burn a d.7 on 15 October. {:-)

• Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Always let your sticks rest awhile in the Humi. After shipping they get a little dry and need a couple of weeks in the humi. I have been wanting to try Est. 1844 and probably still will. I know to many people who get there cigars in and light up and get a harsh bitter taste. You have to let them rest. Give them more time and let us know.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Jack Straw:
    How many have you tried? I have smoked a half dozen or so of these and they are actually pretty damn good sticks. For the money... one of the best deals in town. I am almost halfway through a box and have two more sitting in the coolerdor. Give them another shot, you may have just got a bum stick, it happens.
    Bad sticks do happen - I recently had a Padilla Series 68 that was shockingly bad - I almost panicked - slammed the stick a bit - then went and had another out of the same bundle, and it was a fine cigar.
    The reason I panicked was because I'm a Padilla fan - smoked lots, have lots, like the brand......and the bad stick caught me off guard.
    So as others have said - wait a week or three, and try one again.
    I have had two 1844s and liked them both........fwiw

• Options
    I've been really interested in trying these. Anyone got some tasting notes?
  • Options
    MonteWhite:
    Yeah it's been reviewed by a lot of us in another thread. It is a very nice stick that starts with a bit of spice and then quickly mellows out. Medium to full body cigar.
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    MonteWhite:
    Yeah it's been reviewed by a lot of us in another thread. It is a very nice stick that starts with a bit of spice and then quickly mellows out. Medium to full body cigar.
    This is the address to the thread. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/324542.aspx
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    Lakota72:
    MonteWhite:
    This is the address to the thread. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/324542.aspx
    Thanks!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I really enjoyed this smoke. The always awesome xxIcedGuardianxx hooked me up with one on Sat when me him and hannibal herfed and it was a very good smoke. I can def see a box of these becoming a must.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    This thread has convinced me to enjoy one of these this morning! Thanks for reminding me new poster, and hope you give this one another chance. Not every cigar is for everyone, so find something you like and join us more regularly.
  • Options
    How is this your forum more than mine? I buy a lot of cigars from Cigar.com so I feel entitled to speak up when I think I'm getting stiffed. I smoke Don Pepin and est 1844 is just total tripe in comparison. Not worth it at any price. And while I'm on my soap box, comparing Nica Libre to Padron is juts plain wrong!
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Jack. I think it was more based on your entrance than your substance. To each their own when you smoke. It was a strong derogatory statement against something that many here really enjoy. You are going to get some pushback when your first post is disparaging.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Jack Straw:
    How is this your forum more than mine? I buy a lot of cigars from Cigar.com so I feel entitled to speak up when I think I'm getting stiffed. I smoke Don Pepin and est 1844 is just total tripe in comparison. Not worth it at any price. And while I'm on my soap box, comparing Nica Libre to Padron is juts plain wrong!
    Marker:
    Jack. I think it was more based on your entrance than your substance. To each their own when you smoke. It was a strong derogatory statement against something that many here really enjoy. You are going to get some pushback when your first post is disparaging.
    I agree, it wasn't so much what you said but the manner you said it and the fact that it was your first post. You know first impressions...

Many on here may even agree with you but we try to allow for other peoples likes and dislikes. While the Nica Libre may not be exactly like a Padron, I have smoked several of these with 6 months or more of age on them stored at about 65% and I can tell you the Nica Libre DOES remind me of (isn't exactly the same) Padrons.

Now that may or may not be the case for you, but maybe if you were to remember that some folks here DO like some of the sticks that you may be hating on. Stick around and you will find the people here all very respectful of other peoples choices. It's not that you can't speak your mind, but out of respect for others, a person has to be a little more considerate I guess.

Welcome to the forums BTW.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I just smoked my first Est. 1844 No. 50 last night, finally cracked open the box after about 3 months. I thought it was awesome, one of the more cocoa/espresso-y flavors I've ever gotten. The 1st few puffs, actually the 1st ten minutes wasn't great, probably due to the tip being lit & how it takes awhile for the burn to fill out into the meatier part of the stick. Once I got past the tip & into what I consider the sweet spot, I was stunned at how delicious this was. Awesome awesome stick when you consider the price, I want to get 10 of the 50 extras now since mine was a box split with a BOTL.

IF you don't like them I would be happy to trade, & if anyone else has some No. 50-extra, they want to trade or get rid of hit me up for a trade. I want to get my half box filled back up to put away.
  • Options
    Marker:
    +1
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Stick around and you will find the people here all very respectful of other peoples choices. It's not that you can't speak your mind, but out of respect for others, a person has to be a little more considerate I guess.
    Excellent point!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Just fired up my first one last week and I love these, probably my new favorite. I let it rest about a month and hope to pick up more of these soon. Great stick.