Home General Discussion

Inbox Indicator

Ccom... Is it that hard to put a little green light up by the Inbox to tell us when we have a PM waiting? Can it be that much money? I am in software development and I know it can't take much. Nothing fancy. Just a green light, orange light, periwinkle light. You choose! Call the company that provides you with the forum and just ask. They might do it for free or already have it programmed. They just have to hook it up and turn it on. It won't hurt...

Comments

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Ccom... Is it that hard to put a little green light up by the Inbox to tell us when we have a PM waiting? Can it be that much money? I am in software development and I know it can't take much. Nothing fancy. Just a green light, orange light, periwinkle light. You choose! Call the company that provides you with the forum and just ask. They might do it for free or already have it programmed. They just have to hook it up and turn it on. It won't hurt...
    +1.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    +2

Will also eliminate about 200 new threads a month IMO. I know there is one master "PM in your inbox" thread, but I mean, who checks that each and every day and if its more than one person trying to PM another person, it does get lost, thats why I hardly use it.
  • If someone asked me to do something using the attitude that you're displaying, I'd probably avoid doing it just out of spite.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Marker:
    Agreed The data connection needs to be queried for un-opened mail and return a bool and load image accordingly. Simple.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Unthought_Known:
    If someone asked me to do something using the attitude that you're displaying, I'd probably avoid doing it just out of spite.
    If you think that is being rude please change over to 'cup is half full' mode today. I can see how it can be taken the wrong way but in no way it is meant to be rude.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Or you can just click the inbox button whenever you get on the forum. Unless your connection is in the dark ages, it can't be that time consuming to check your messages.
    Hard to push the tiny little button on a smart screen phone to check your inbox. Also your phones sometimes isn't the fastest connection and it would be nice to not have to hit the inbox just to check it. I realize it is really minor for some people to just push the inbox button 15 times a day. I would rather know while I am looking at the forums if one is there. The email alert function doesn't work.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Hard to push the tiny little button on a smart screen phone to check your inbox. Also your phones sometimes isn't the fastest connection and it would be nice to not have to hit the inbox just to check it. I realize it is really minor for some people to just push the inbox button 15 times a day. I would rather know while I am looking at the forums if one is there. The email alert function doesn't work.

+10!!
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    jlmarta:
    Marker:

+10!!
    I have to agree with Marker...EMS notifications would do it for me
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    We could use a few basic upgrades.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    fla-gypsy:
    I agree completely, and would love to have a PM alert function... BUT, this is still, by FAR and AWAY the best cigar forum I've ever seen, and I love every min I get to spend on here with you guys!
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:
    I agree completely, and would love to have a PM alert function... BUT, this is still, by FAR and AWAY the best cigar forum I've ever seen, and I love every min I get to spend on here with you guys!
    +1! I doubt if anyone means to take away from the forum. It's awesome. ...but it can be better!

JonathanE:
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:
    +1! I doubt if anyone means to take away from the forum. It's awesome. ...but it can be better!

Yeah, I'm a CCOM forum junkie but it could certainly be better. For example, get rid of the requirement of HTML training in order to post. That's my pet peeve.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    JonathanE:
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:

Yeah, I'm a CCOM forum junkie but it could certainly be better. For example, get rid of the requirement of HTML training in order to post. That's my pet peeve.
    +1...WSIWYG would be nice. Is checking your inbox really more annoying than typing BR in pointy little houses all the time?

What.......no one else.....really, no one else sees the brackets as pointy little houses........it's just me????
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:
    JonathanE:
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:

+1...WSIWYG would be nice. Is checking your inbox really more annoying than typing BR in pointy little houses all the time?

What.......no one else.....really, no one else sees the brackets as pointy little houses........it's just me????

Whatever ya wanna call 'em, they're annoying as hell..
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh...the ol PM indicator post....this has been mentioned many, many times over the years. Doubt it will happen anytime soon.

"Long ashes my friends."

I hate to keep harping on this topic and after this post I plan to shut up about it - at least for a while - but has anyone ever seen or gotten a reasonable (operative word) explanation as to why we can't have this forum simplified (without all the HTML crap) like other forums are? I don't care for those other forums but it's mainly because of some - or most - of the members on them, not the lack of the HTML crap.
  • I understand where you are all coming from. I'll take all of your comments to our IT department. We have been working on some different ways to make the web experience better for everyone. If anyone has noticed we have changed some of the look on the homepage and the footer so rest assured we have not forgotten about the usability and design of Cigar.com. Your experience is a huge priority. -Scott
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    JonathanE:
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:

+1. In my time here, IT has never been CCom's strong suit. That being said, since their focus instead is on great deals and being the gold standard in customer service in the industry, Im not gonna complain.

Overmuch. :-)

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    ScottC:
    I understand where you are all coming from. I'll take all of your comments to our IT department. We have been working on some different ways to make the web experience better for everyone. If anyone has noticed we have changed some of the look on the homepage and the footer so rest assured we have not forgotten about the usability and design of Cigar.com. Your experience is a huge priority. -Scott
    Thanks Scott, it's nice knowing you guys listen to the concerns of your patrons!
    Krieg:
    Ahhh...the ol PM indicator post....this has been mentioned many, many times over the years. Doubt it will happen anytime soon.
    Hopefully sooner than you think.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    ScottC:
    I understand where you are all coming from. I'll take all of your comments to our IT department. We have been working on some different ways to make the web experience better for everyone. If anyone has noticed we have changed some of the look on the homepage and the footer so rest assured we have not forgotten about the usability and design of Cigar.com. Your experience is a huge priority. -Scott
    Thanks, Scott.

but like Sniper said, if Ccom is gonna have one specialty, I'm cool with it being unreal deals and customer service... IT can take a back seat for a while :)