Home Cigar 101

Cabinet Humidor Humidity??

greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
I am going to buy a cabinet humidor. I will need to provide a humidifier system. Other than an electric humidor, what would be my other options? Beads, gel ect... It is about 12 cu ft of space and will hold in excess of 1000 cigars. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Greg, from what I've read around here, the consensus seems to be beads. The Heartfelt brand in particular. I don't use them myself (just gotta 150 ct and a few Boveda packs do me just fine), but everyone who does swears by them.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    A cabinet of that size would do well with an electronic humidification device. Something like a Cigar Oasis or Hydra would work wonders! You could also throw in some beads but if you have an electronic device, there really isn't a need for the beads. If I could get a wine cooler for a reasonable price that could hold 1000 cigars...I'd be set! Moving into the small furniture sizes is risky though. I can't upset the wife too much!
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I have never used beads. For 12 cu ft. how much would I need? In comparison, thats equivelent to about 3-4 coolers.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Really, anything that size needs to have an active humidifier like the suggested Oasis. It might cost a little more up front but when you are storing that many cigars the passive devices are not the way to go. I too have been looking thinking of going large. I have 3 working right now and need space. I have been debating between a cabinet or a cooler but from what I have been reading and seeing when it comes to traditional humidors the active device is really the only way to go. Others that actually have 12+ feet of space may be better suited to weigh in here too as experience is always better than reading info. about it.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote here for active, that is a lot of space, why risk it? If you insist on passive anything will work if you toss in a few small computer fans to circulate the air throughout the humidor. I'm not a fan of beads for long-term storage but they do work and hold humidity well. You can get 4 large bricks of wet floral foam (and add food-grade propylene glycol which you can get from Amazon now with DW) at wallyworld for $4 and they also have those water crystals (polymers, pretty much what beads are) there too in many sizes for a couple of bucks a pack and they will do the trick as well. In fact, a lot of guys use the water crystals in their active humidification devices with great success. Circulation, coverage area, and seal are gonna be the determining factor on what you can minimally get away with.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    i have a 4ft x 24inw x 12d in wall. i have an oasis 2 in it, its way to much. i use 2 1lbs of beads in the summer and dont even run it. stays tight at 65, my sticks are perfect. i kick it back on for the winter. image
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    fuentejps:
    i have a 4ft x 24inw x 12d in wall. i have an oasis 2 in it, its way to much. i use 2 1lbs of beads in the summer and dont even run it. stays tight at 65, my sticks are perfect. i kick it back on for the winter. image
    awesome humi! I'd kill for one of those.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    thx man, my fil built it for me. i love it.
  • I just bought a cabinet size ( 500 count ) end table style. This is a fine looking piece of furniture, that not only served my purpose, but pleased my wife very much to have a fine end table! Just a thought. "Ten Nails"