Home Cigar 101

Newb mistake...

So, being new to this great hobby I've been searching out what I like best. I have bought 4 or 5 samplers here and I have been slowly going through them so that I can find my favorites. I've been keeping notes and trying to stay on my "plan" that I drew up so I could hit all the types and manufactures that I have in stock. (I know it sounds a little OCD, but that's how I roll..LOL) So tonight was my chance to try the RP Decade that I've been waiting anxiously for. I have been reading reviews and posts around here and other places, so I was eagerly looking forward to this smoke. I get my book, sit in my chair outside and light up. About halfway through I realize I'm not enjoying this smoke at all...it had no taste, and the residue was really bitter on my lips. I was beginning to feel a lot let down. Then the breeze blew and I began sneezing...again. That's when I realized that with the seasons changing around here my allergies are acting up and I can't taste anything at all! No wonder! So, a chance at a good cigar is ruined by my eagerness to try it. Thankfully I have another sitting in my humi ready for when my allergies have calmed themselves. I chalked it up to a rookie mistake. Looks like I'll be smoking yard gars till this all clears up!

Comments

• I'm sure it was your allergies, as the Decade gets some good reviews here and there.......BUT, Coincidentally I just smoked a Decade and it literally was tasteless!! I have no allergies and havn't smoked any other sticks today so my palette is fresh, the darn thing just had no flavor at all....oh well!!
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    AJGARLETT:
    I'm sure it was your allergies, as the Decade gets some good reviews here and there.......BUT, Coincidentally I just smoked a Decade and it literally was tasteless!! I have no allergies and havn't smoked any other sticks today so my palette is fresh, the darn thing just had no flavor at all....oh well!!
    hmmm.... was it a newer realease?

i love the o r decade
  • 415:
    AJGARLETT:
    I'm sure it was your allergies, as the Decade gets some good reviews here and there.......BUT, Coincidentally I just smoked a Decade and it literally was tasteless!! I have no allergies and havn't smoked any other sticks today so my palette is fresh, the darn thing just had no flavor at all....oh well!!
    hmmm.... was it a newer realease?

i love the o r decade

Yes, it was. I too am a fan of the original Decade, the one I had last night was recently acquired and was VERY different. The draw was light (as usual) and the smoke was there but it had no body. I have a few more of the new ones that I'll try, this one might have been a dud on the flavor side, construction-wise she was perfect.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    DeadBoxJD:
    That's when I realized that with the seasons changing around here my allergies are acting up and I can't taste anything at all! No wonder! So, a chance at a good cigar is ruined by my eagerness to try it. Thankfully I have another sitting in my humi ready for when my allergies have calmed themselves. I chalked it up to a rookie mistake. Looks like I'll be smoking yard gars till this all clears up!
    hahaha, good to hear you figured it out and have another one to try. And Don't worry man, its not just a newb thing. Some of us are less careful and particular than others. I've been smoking cigars for a while now (sometimes more consistently than others), and I do junk like this all the time. My most recent "user error" was when I wasn't planning on having a cigar. So I brushed my teeth, flossed, used some listerine then tried to go to bed, but couldn't sleep. So I got up figuring that a cigar would help me unwind a little, and that the listerine taste in my mouth was faded enough that the cigar would overpower it. haha, yeah . . . I was wrong on the last part. WOW, That was a bad experience with a cigar that I'd never smoked before. pitched it after an inch, but, luckily I had 9 more from a 10 pack I got from the beard.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm the Decade is one of my faves but all the ones I have are about 5 months old, I surely hope they aren't cutting corner on the newer batches, it would really be disappointing.
  • Oh, I'm sure it wasn't the cigar....I haven't been able to taste anything for a couple of day (this is usually when I choose to eat healthy too, cause I can't taste it...LOL). I bet my other Decade will be a much better experience.
    Rhamlin:
    Hmm the Decade is one of my faves but all the ones I have are about 5 months old, I surely hope they aren't cutting corner on the newer batches, it would really be disappointing.
    i wouldnt call it cutting corners, just different.

i have smoked a handful of the newer release. i like them, but i love the original
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    DeadBoxJD:
    Oh, I'm sure it wasn't the cigar....I haven't been able to taste anything for a couple of day (this is usually when I choose to eat healthy too, cause I can't taste it...LOL). I bet my other Decade will be a much better experience.
    I'm still sampling as well but had the same experience last weekend after siting out all night watching my son's football game. My Krisoff really wasn't the same. This time of year, especially were I'm from, the temps are up and down, hot during the day and cold at night, it messes with ur senses. Hard to hide from, but give it a while and give it another shot.
  • No, it wasn't your alergies. For some reason, the RP's get these great reviews. I can't figure it out except for the possibility that the mind is a powerful thing. Meaning that if you pour some ok wine into an Opus One bottle, then serve it to someone who is none the wiser, they will likely rave about it being the best they have ever had. Bottom line is that I have tried several RP's and they all were horrible. I simply won't buy a sampler that contains one as I won't smoke it.
    rickinbay1:
    No, it wasn't your alergies. For some reason, the RP's get these great reviews. I can't figure it out except for the possibility that the mind is a powerful thing. Meaning that if you pour some ok wine into an Opus One bottle, then serve it to someone who is none the wiser, they will likely rave about it being the best they have ever had. Bottom line is that I have tried several RP's and they all were horrible. I simply won't buy a sampler that contains one as I won't smoke it.
    lol some people love Rp's others hate em.

the decade is a nice smoke, but far from the best ive ever had.

certinly wouldnt call it the cigar equivalent of opus one.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    415:
    rickinbay1:
    No, it wasn't your alergies. For some reason, the RP's get these great reviews. I can't figure it out except for the possibility that the mind is a powerful thing. Meaning that if you pour some ok wine into an Opus One bottle, then serve it to someone who is none the wiser, they will likely rave about it being the best they have ever had. Bottom line is that I have tried several RP's and they all were horrible. I simply won't buy a sampler that contains one as I won't smoke it.
    lol some people love Rp's others hate em.

the decade is a nice smoke, but far from the best ive ever had.

certinly wouldnt call it the cigar equivalent of opus one.
    hahaha, yeah Opus One is some really good wine. Not sure if it'll ever be worth the price tag to buya bottle for me but its fun to drop in for the tasting whenever we go up there.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rickinbay1:
    For some reason, the RP's get these great reviews. I can't figure it out except for the possibility that money is a powerful thing.
    fixed it for ya.

ever notice how many ads there are for RP in the places where they get good reviews?

• Well, I have since tried some of my favorite smokes, and my allergies are beginning to lessen. I'm not sure it was 100% the cigar that was the issue...Maybe the Decade's are a little overly hyped, but being "dead" to taste and smell certainly did not help the issue at all.
  • When I try my next one I'll post a little something here to see if it was just me.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    The climate change has really played hell with my allergies as well. Some nights when I feel like sitting outside to have a smoke I end up deciding not to just because my nose is so congested. It just wouldn't be a pleasurable experience if I'm sniffling and snorting the whole time.

As far as the Decade goes...I've had one of them, and I didn't care for it at all. I imagine it was not one of the original runs. No lie, though...I swear I smelled manure as I was smoking it.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    The climate change has really played hell with my allergies as well. Some nights when I feel like sitting outside to have a smoke I end up deciding not to just because my nose is so congested. It just wouldn't be a pleasurable experience if I'm sniffling and snorting the whole time.

As far as the Decade goes...I've had one of them, and I didn't care for it at all. I imagine it was not one of the original runs. No lie, though...I swear I smelled manure as I was smoking it.
    makes me scared to try one of mine....figured I'd let them set awhile, but now I'm wondering if I should even keep them in the coolidor......
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I've smoked at least a dozen Decades... good smoke typically. Worthy of a 95 rating? Not in my experience... especially when you consider that the LP T52 only got a 90, and the JdN DC only got an 89...

but like kuzi pointed out... their adds aren't on every other page of that mag...

but I will continue to smoke and enjoy Decades whenever I have em in my humi. But its not a stick I panic over when I notice I'm out of em. Just my 2 cents.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I am not a fan of the new decades. The old ones that got the 95 are great. The new ones I have tried did not impress me and don't warrant me choosing them over an Oliva V or Macanudo maduro for the same price. Not something I am going to smoke unless I know it is an old and aged decade.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Yes to all the comments thus far. Another thought is--how long did it take you to smoke it? Often times I find that if I am not enjoying one I find myself smoking too fast. This could be a problem as you really aren't focused on the cigar.