Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar of the month club

I was just curious to see how many forum members are members of the cigar of the month club. Is it a good investment?

Comments

• Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I am and I think it's a good deal, especially the first month.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I am, and becoming a member last month scored me some killer smokes. They even throw in some super premiums for free the first month.
    edit: ninjad...pretty much the same as Knoxca1 said...
  • Options
    I was thinking about it once I get back to the states. It sounds like a good way to stock items on the shelf of the humidor, even if you only sign up for a few months.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's the variety. They'll send things I wouldn't have bought, or have heard of, and it really broadens the experience. The 10% discount is nice, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    The opportunity to try things I might not otherwise is appealing. Maybe I'll ask for this for Christmas or something. Been considering a sign-up for some time now.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    For me, it's the variety. They'll send things I wouldn't have bought, or have heard of, and it really broadens the experience. The 10% discount is nice, too.
    I didn't think about that. Having them send you something you wouldn't have thought about in the first place is a good idea. I'm sold!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    here is the other side of the coin...

i do not have the COTM. i have had many if not most of the cigars that they send out before, and many of them i either dont like or i dont care one way or another about them. given that no matter how many humidors i seem to own they are always almost full, i am VERY selective on what i buy. so i only buy what i really like or what i am looking to try.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I just signed up for the club this past month. My main motivation in signing up was actually Alex Svenson announcing that they were going to have to cut out the 3 free MoW Armadas with the first month's shipment due to the now limited availability of the cigar's wrapper. So I got in while they were still giving them away. I think starting next month the first shipment comes with 3 free Cohiba Dominican Puros. I've had 2 of the 5 cigars from this months selection (Sencillo and Don Lino Africa) and I thought they were really good. I still consider myself a newb, so I like trying a lot of new cigars and the club's a good way to do that.
  • Options
    Thanks! You guys are great help as usual.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

i do not have the COTM. i have had many if not most of the cigars that they send out before, and many of them i either dont like or i dont care one way or another about them. given that no matter how many humidors i seem to own they are always almost full, i am VERY selective on what i buy. so i only buy what i really like or what i am looking to try.
    That being said...did u in ur early dayz have the COTM in some fashion? This is a great topic for newly samplers. Just curious how did u get into this? I have read a lot of ur post, but you..you r the kuzi16....Interesting thread.....
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've had the club for over two years, about two and a half I think. While last months selection was very nice, I'd estimate that at least half of the time the selection has been nothing more than a sampler that already exists, and that you can already buy on the site/s for cheaper. Usually no super premium as well. Now we've communicated these things to Alex, and he responded with last months selection, so if that's a sign of things to come then I would definitely recommend it.

The only thing I would add is be wary, and do the math every month. It might not be worth it, but the 10% off might make up for it, so that's a decision you need to make for yourself based on what you're comfortable with and your spending habits. Or it might be a great deal like last month.

Please note I'm not trying to be negative, just honest with how it's actually been over the course of a couple years. Sometimes it's great, other times, not so much.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I figure it like this...sign up on a month to month basis. The minimum is three months. If you're unsatisfied after the three months don't renew and you really will not have lost much. That's my plan at least.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I figure it like this...sign up on a month to month basis. The minimum is three months. If you're unsatisfied after the three months don't renew and you really will not have lost much. That's my plan at least.
    That's what I'd do.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't have it, probably for the same reasons Kuzi stated. I am VERY picky on the sticks I buy. And most of the COTM clubs aren't really worth the $$ after the first month or so...but in Ccom's case, they do offer 100% satisfaction guarantee.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've been a member for at least 4 years.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    howtobass:
    I was thinking about it once I get back to the states. It sounds like a good way to stock items on the shelf of the humidor, even if you only sign up for a few months.
    Wait?? No, way dude! Sign up now so you get the Armadas! Kuzi and Kreig are right from the perspective of experienced smokers but for us noobs it's a heck of a deal. (I've been on it for five months now?)

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    JonathanE:
    howtobass:
    Wait?? No, way dude! Sign up now so you get the Armadas! Kuzi and Kreig are right from the perspective of experienced smokers but for us noobs it's a heck of a deal. (I've been on it for five months now?)

I do believe they changed out the Aramadas for Cohibas.

Clicky, last post of first page
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I think the COTMC is a good deal and value, I also like the 10% off on CCOM.
    Kuzi and Kreig are right that if your palate has been developed and you know exactly your taste then it may be the wrong choice, but if you a noob then it is perfect.
    I have been smoking about 6 years but I personally like it because I get to try sticks I would never buy.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    kuzi16:

That being said...did u in ur early dayz have the COTM in some fashion? This is a great topic for newly samplers. Just curious how did u get into this? I have read a lot of ur post, but you..you r the kuzi16....Interesting thread.....
    nope. i have never had it. in my early days i did a lot of trades. i was in a lot of passes. i bought a bunch of singles at local shops.
    in my early days i had yet to convince the wife that having one humidor wasnt too much.
  • Options
    I just signed up for a month-to-month subscription. I figured it is worth a shot for a couple free sticks and if it didn't add up or I got some bum sticks I could cancel at anytime. What is this talk of a 3-month minimum? I didn't see that when I signed up, is this info hidden somewhere? I'd hate to have to wait multiple rounds if it doesn't live up to the hype. I could get 5 really great cigars for $33, heck I can get the top-tier stuff for $6.60 per with careful/prudent shopping so I would hate to get $3-$4 sticks and be stuck spending $100 bucks on over-priced sticks before one could cancel. Can anyone confirm this? I may try and cancel before my first shipment if this is gonna be the case. I'd hope they would deliver something worthy but it's nice to have the option to cancel if it isn't worth it.  
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Since there have been no replies newbie 007... 100% satisfaction guaranty means just that.. Give it a try. I was always happy when I was a member. just ran out of cash. I found many cigars that became my favorites as a result of being a member