Home Cigar 101
Options

A pillow for the Box?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
A few weeks ago a customer of ours and I starting talking about cigars, and he mentioned that he smokes "965" cigars (from JFC Tobacco Corp) almost exclusively. He gifted me one, and they are very very good, and instantly moved into my top 5.........(hoping he'll do a box split with me soon.)

I asked about his humidor, and he said "what humidor?"....apparently he smokes about one box a month, and just orders them in time before he runs out. He did admit that towards the end of the box, they got "a bit dry".....but it didn't really bother him, and sometimes he puts the last of the box containing 4 or 5 sticks, in the crisper of his fridge! He is not interested in doing a humi.

My question:
Would he be better served in taking care of his sticks, by tossing in a humicare pillow as soon as he opens the box for his first smoke?
I was going to give him 1 or 2 for this purpose.

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    A few weeks ago a customer of ours and I starting talking about cigars, and he mentioned that he smokes "965" cigars (from JFC Tobacco Corp) almost exclusively. He gifted me one, and they are very very good, and instantly moved into my top 5.........(hoping he'll do a box split with me soon.)

I asked about his humidor, and he said "what humidor?"....apparently he smokes about one box a month, and just orders them in time before he runs out. He did admit that towards the end of the box, they got "a bit dry".....but it didn't really bother him, and sometimes he puts the last of the box containing 4 or 5 sticks, in the crisper of his fridge! He is not interested in doing a humi.

My question:
    Would he be better served in taking care of his sticks, by tossing in a humicare pillow as soon as he opens the box for his first smoke?
    I was going to give him 1 or 2 for this purpose.

Yes your thoughts are correct. One would be fine he may need to smoke a couple before he can put one in there depnding on the type of box
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that would work good for his purpose.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    What I have done is put the pillow in the box, and the box in a Large zip lock bag until I get them into the more stable enviroment of my humidor. But never in the crisper of the fridge.. The cigars will pick up the taste and smells of the container they are in.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    As far as long term storage goes, I think humicare pillows can be more damaging than they are good...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    As far as long term storage goes, I think humicare pillows can be more damaging than they are good...
    How so Doc ? The chance that they might leak gel.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:

Interesting. Why's that, if I may ask? (Pardon my ignorance on this one!)
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    King....PM sent to you
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Humicare pillows tend to over humidify, and seem to only release humidity, not reabsorb, like Bovedas or beads.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I have to agree with Doc on this one. Once a few months back had a pillow in a ziploc bag with 3 fuentes that I forgot about. I discovered the bag after it sat for about 6 weeks and it was a total mold farm. They were in 70 degrees the whole time, but with the ziploc air tight seal I'm assuming the pillow just gave off too much moisture. If you have decent air flow its not an issue, but with a tupperdor of coolador you have to have a 2-way humidifier, and the pillows are not.
    But since he smokes thru the box in a months time, I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue as long as he doesn't have the box in a ziploc bag the whole time.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    docbp87:
    The Humicare pillows tend to over humidify, and seem to only release humidity, not reabsorb, like Bovedas or beads.
    I agree Doc. However i have found that if you have any pillows that are dry and you put them in the bag along with the charged one it will help a little and it will absorb some of the excess humidity. Overall though, the pillows are only good for shipping, not long term storage. Really no better then floral foam.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    King....PM sent to you
    replied
  • Options
    If he's finishing the box in about a month, I don't think it makes much of a difference because the humidity is pretty solid throughout the year (I'm assuming it's similar in Santa Cruz as it is in San Francisco). I've left my hygrometer out of the humidor a few times, and it's in the 60's year-round. In the Bay Area, the humidity just doesn't fluctuate enough for this to be an issue if they're smoked in a month or so.