Home Cigar 101
Options

Back to life?

If a cigar has been out of a humidor for a number of weeks, and it has not cracked and looks fine, can you put it back in your humidor and bring it back to life? How long would it take until you would/could smoke it?

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think you could bring it back but I'd do it gradually.
  • Options
    howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    Rhamlin:
    I'd think you could bring it back but I'd do it gradually.
    Wouldn't the humidor be gradually?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think it's possible, I would think it takes a little longer for the cigar to lose the oils but what do u have to lose, try it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I've done this before. One of my buddies had a cigar for a few years he said sitting in his glove box. It was a ISOM Romeo y Julieta. I started slowly biringing it back. Putting it in it's tube in the humidor for 30 min. Then a day later doing it for an hour. I increased the time gradually and eventually out of the tube and so on. When he smoked it he said it was fantastic. Took me about 2 months to get it to what I considered a smokeable level. It was def a test of my patience to slowly introduce it to humidity and do it little by little.
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    I've done this before. One of my buddies had a cigar for a few years he said sitting in his glove box. It was a ISOM Romeo y Julieta. I started slowly biringing it back. Putting it in it's tube in the humidor for 30 min. Then a day later doing it for an hour. I increased the time gradually and eventually out of the tube and so on. When he smoked it he said it was fantastic. Took me about 2 months to get it to what I considered a smokeable level. It was def a test of my patience to slowly introduce it to humidity and do it little by little.
    Awesome info. Not knowing what I know now, I would have just left a cigar out if i ever bought one. Good thing I didn't. LOL.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have brought back a cigar that sat for several months in my camper under very hot humid conditions. The humidity here probably saved it.
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    I have brought back a cigar that sat for several months in my camper under very hot humid conditions. The humidity here probably saved it.
    Did it smoke like a regular cigar afterwards? Did it effect how it tasted, burned, ect? Just curious.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    howtobass:
    fla-gypsy:
    Did it smoke like a regular cigar afterwards? Did it effect how it tasted, burned, ect? Just curious.
    It smoked perfectly
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    The info here is right. I prefer to start in a half charged humi/cooler and move the rh up about 2-3% every 48-72 hrs. This will keep the wrapper from cracking. Must likely no longer than it is out the oils will be OK unless you are in a very dry climate then I don't know what a few weeks might do but I would still try it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i found a CAO black that had been in my car in the summer for a few months once. i put it in my humi and forgot about it for a year or two. it smoked well. it wasnt too bad.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I found one of my favored Bauzas in the pocket of a coat. It was there for probably eight months. I too placed it in the humidor and forgot about it... until now. I will leave it there until I forget about it again.. Hope it works out.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Spit on it
  • Options
    Well I think it unanimous... you can bring it back to life.... even if you spit on it. LOL
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Hope this works out for you. I've never had to bring a cigar back from near death.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it wont be the same. but it will be able to be smoked.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    Hope this works out for you. I've never had to bring a cigar back from near death.
    I haven't either.... i was just curious if you could. Figured it would be good to know info.