Home Cigar 101

Just gifted a Cooler

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
Was given a cooler from my dad. He knew exactly what I would turn it into lol. He even commented it has a squeaky hinge so youll know when someone is getting into your cigars lol. Now I know it has been used. I took it outside washed it out what else should I do to it? PhotobucketPhotobucket
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I washed mine with a mild detergent, let the detergent sit in there for about 5-10min, wiped it dry, washed again with a mild detergent, wiped it dry, then wiped it down with a clorox cleaning wipe, let it sit for 5-10min, washed out a final time and let it sit for 24hours(repeat until the plastic smell is gone). Then I took apart a few boxes, sprayed them down, and placed them in the humi and locked it. I opened it the next day and it was saturated with the smell of cedar. Then I organized my smokes, put them in old boxes from the B&M, dropped in some gel(7oz), and let it marinate. PM me with questions anytime!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi throws in newspaper for the smell, it will absorb pretty much any smell.
    One God, One Truth
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    When you say mild detergent what would that be? lol. Showin my newbness about coolerdors.
    JSaint:
    When you say mild detergent what would that be? lol. Showin my newbness about coolerdors.
    Oh and its used. Like 3 yrs old used.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Kuzi throws in newspaper for the smell, it will absorb pretty much any smell.
    x2, for a couple 2-3 days, i think rcy even said do that twice, i did then i added a spainish cedar tray in the bottom and some dividers for a couple days with all my cigar boxes on top and smells great, im using that for my agers
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    JSaint:
    In my case very mild, just a foaming handsoap that has little to no scent to it
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yep. Newspaper for a few days. Then add humidification for a day or two, then add your boxes (or trays or whatever... just fill it up with one thing or another.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I like to use baking soda to get the smell out.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    I like to use baking soda to get the smell out.
    +1 thats what I used on my cooler.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baking soda even takes out the odor of epoxy paint I mistakenly used on some wire shelves I made for my coolidor. And sitting in the sun for 4 or 5 days hadn't removed it a bit. I'll go with baking soda anytime.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get a new container and it has off smells I wash it then stick coffee (ground) in there to get things smelling nice. If it's real bad I'll add some water to the coffee and make a slurry. Works great and it will hold its nice sent (after removal) until the cigars take over. I do use a 6'X6'small Spanish cedar sheet on the bottom but prefer my humi to smell sorta manureish when I open it. I also prefer my sticks to smell manureish as well, they are usually the best tasting ones! Don't like a over abundance of cedar to alter the flavor of my sticks. I also don't keep the boxes in the humi either, I transfer everything to bags. Boxes used to be higher quality spanish cedar but the newer stuff is coming in crappy boxes that smell like glue and off wood scents.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    When I get a new container and it has off smells I wash it then stick coffee (ground) in there to get things smelling nice. If it's real bad I'll add some water to the coffee and make a slurry. Works great and it will hold its nice sent (after removal) until the cigars take over. I do use a 6'X6'small Spanish cedar sheet on the bottom but prefer my humi to smell sorta manureish when I open it. I also prefer my sticks to smell manureish as well, they are usually the best tasting ones! Don't like a over abundance of cedar to alter the flavor of my sticks. I also don't keep the boxes in the humi either, I transfer everything to bags. Boxes used to be higher quality spanish cedar but the newer stuff is coming in crappy boxes that smell like glue and off wood scents.
    Please understand before you read the remainder of my post that I am in NO way trying to offend, I am merely making an observation I've noticed: You seem to have a very delicate and odd smeller my friend, several of the things you speak of I can very much understand, but you seem either more dialed in to the smells, or just that picky. Can't say I have noticed many if any of the smells you speak of, but to each their own. No offense meant my BORK.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:

Yeah thats throwing me off a bit. You are pushing in another thread that people shouldn't use beads because its causing a "bad taste" & smell in the cigars, & instead should use water pillows for long term storage (not recommended at all by most everyone) but you want your cigars & humi to taste "manureish? And you're putting a coffee/water slurry in your coolador? I call shenanigans on this. To each his own though.
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

Yeah thats throwing me off a bit. You are pushing in another thread that people shouldn't use beads because its causing a "bad taste" & smell in the cigars, & instead should use water pillows for long term storage (not recommended at all by most everyone) but you want your cigars & humi to taste "manureish? And you're putting a coffee/water slurry in your coolador? I call shenanigans on this. To each his own though.
    First off, I'm not pushing anything. If anything the ban-wagon bead pushers are. A lot of advice given around her is treated like gospel when it really isn't (beads are better than anything, a cooler is better than a bag, water pillows aren't for long term storage ect) and is merely a matter of opinion and in some cases merely conjecture that has been regurgitated over-and-over. Everything I've said I have tried and or experimented with so when I give my opinion it is from experience and not merely a theory. I would rather give options/opinions rather than "push" anything on anyone. Almost any media will work and most storage devices are serviceable, it is the benefits, cost, and upkeep that matter at the end. Water pillows have the same stuff in them that humi care gel jars and CO. have in them. You are merely ban-wagoning your "disapproval" for a method you have not tried but someone told you you shouldn't do it. I actually do it and it works fine so I can say first hand that it dose work and is a viable option. Beads do work fine for short term storage but long-term they are not good. Once again I have used all various types and they all eventually get a smell to them. This just tells me that many people around haven't had a collection for years. It will happen. just be sure to return and give all the rest of the BOTL a heads up when your beads get stinky. As far as manuerish, it is my favorite smell for cigars. Cigars that have manuerish scents are usually the best tasting cigars. So yes, the more manuerish smell the better! Coffee is a old school trick to get rid of plastic smells in containers and leaves a nice scent. Again, from personal experience and not conjecture. If you expect me to just adopt the "ban-wagon approved" philosophy and dish it out like it is gospel while ignoring obvious mis-representations then you can count me as a maverick. My opinion is my opinion and facts are facts, sometimes people forget that. Call shenanigans if you want but everything I say is from experience and trial and error. Feel free to ignore my submissions but don't assassinate my integrity because you disagree with me. If you do, at least have the decency to back up your disapproval with some factual evidence and not the "what everybody else says" argument.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

First off, I'm not pushing anything. If anything the ban-wagon bead pushers are. A lot of advice given around her is treated like gospel when it really isn't (beads are better than anything, a cooler is better than a bag, water pillows aren't for long term storage ect) and is merely a matter of opinion and in some cases merely conjecture that has been regurgitated over-and-over. Everything I've said I have tried and or experimented with so when I give my opinion it is from experience and not merely a theory. I would rather give options/opinions rather than "push" anything on anyone. Almost any media will work and most storage devices are serviceable, it is the benefits, cost, and upkeep that matter at the end. Water pillows have the same stuff in them that humi care gel jars and CO. have in them. You are merely ban-wagoning your "disapproval" for a method you have not tried but someone told you you shouldn't do it. I actually do it and it works fine so I can say first hand that it dose work and is a viable option. Beads do work fine for short term storage but long-term they are not good. Once again I have used all various types and they all eventually get a smell to them. This just tells me that many people around haven't had a collection for years. It will happen. just be sure to return and give all the rest of the BOTL a heads up when your beads get stinky. As far as manuerish, it is my favorite smell for cigars. Cigars that have manuerish scents are usually the best tasting cigars. So yes, the more manuerish smell the better! Coffee is a old school trick to get rid of plastic smells in containers and leaves a nice scent. Again, from personal experience and not conjecture. If you expect me to just adopt the "ban-wagon approved" philosophy and dish it out like it is gospel while ignoring obvious mis-representations then you can count me as a maverick. My opinion is my opinion and facts are facts, sometimes people forget that. Call shenanigans if you want but everything I say is from experience and trial and error. Feel free to ignore my submissions but don't assassinate my integrity because you disagree with me. If you do, at least have the decency to back up your disapproval with some factual evidence and not the "what everybody else says" argument.
    First off I'm not trying to get into any sort of forum/internet argument but I am wondering what is your factual evidence that beads are not good for long term storage when there are plenty of brothers on here who use beads for long term storage with no problem? Also the term is "bandwagon".
    Oh snap here we go. Someone get the heavy hitters in here to discuss the gel vs beads.
    danielruas:
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

First off I'm not trying to get into any sort of forum/internet argument but I am wondering what is your factual evidence that beads are not good for long term storage when there are plenty of brothers on here who use beads for long term storage with no problem? Also the term is "bandwagon".
    My basis is years of storage with beads, kitty crystals, kitty pearls ect. Mine worked great at first then inevitably developed a smell. It starts of very slight and you think "ah no big deal" but it gets progressively worse. That smell can/will get into the cigars. There has to be more people experiencing this but maybe just aren't saying so. I used to be a huge proponent of beads until this happened and I mentioned it on another forum and others were having the same problems and quietly came out of the wood works. They do work, just be vigilant for when they turn and if there is ANY smell, toss them. You have to remember this is a small community and opinion spreads like gospel. I remember not too long ago when it was blasphemy to call heartfelt/kitty litter the same and all the cat pee jokes and wasted money that went with it. This happens because one person has an opinion and tells it to someone else and it gets spread like it's a fact. When I give my opinion it is more-or-less my experience from the past. Beads made my cigars stinky and tainted. This is why I don't use them. If they work for you, great. I suspect that over time more and more BOTL will come out with reports of smelly beads.
    Almost forgot, round here we say ban-wagon. FYI
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Fair enough, I'd love to hear from other brothers who have had a problem with beads. I personally use gel in my desktop and boveda in my aging humidor and tupperdor. I don't have a large enough storage unit to use beads yet but plan on it when I build a coolador.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Oh snap here we go. Someone get the heavy hitters in here to discuss the gel vs beads.
    And we know what they say about opinions....anyway PM to you brother with the contact info of the guy that built the crumb catcher for my coolidor. Good luck with the build and don't forget pictures when it is all done.

MTuccelli:
    JSaint:
    And we know what they say about opinions....anyway PM to you brother with the contact info of the guy that built the crumb catcher for my coolidor. Good luck with the build and don't forget pictures when it is all done.

Yup everyone has one =p. But thanks will be contacting him soon.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    CAcigarguy007:
    danielruas:
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

My basis is years of storage with beads, kitty crystals, kitty pearls ect. Mine worked great at first then inevitably developed a smell. It starts of very slight and you think "ah no big deal" but it gets progressively worse. That smell can/will get into the cigars. There has to be more people experiencing this but maybe just aren't saying so. I used to be a huge proponent of beads until this happened and I mentioned it on another forum and others were having the same problems and quietly came out of the wood works. They do work, just be vigilant for when they turn and if there is ANY smell, toss them. You have to remember this is a small community and opinion spreads like gospel. I remember not too long ago when it was blasphemy to call heartfelt/kitty litter the same and all the cat pee jokes and wasted money that went with it. This happens because one person has an opinion and tells it to someone else and it gets spread like it's a fact. When I give my opinion it is more-or-less my experience from the past. Beads made my cigars stinky and tainted. This is why I don't use them. If they work for you, great. I suspect that over time more and more BOTL will come out with reports of smelly beads.
    Seriously?

So everyone else around here EXCEPT you is talking out their a$$? We just make this stuff up as we go but you have all the answers?!

Way to make yourself Mr. popular around these parts. WOW !

This coming from the guy who swears by using Floral Foam for humidification.
    laker1963:
    CAcigarguy007:
    danielruas:
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

Seriously?

So everyone else around here EXCEPT you is talking out their a$$? We just make this stuff up as we go but you have all the answers?!

Not trying to win a popularity contest. Just giving my opinion and past experience and get attacked at every turn and even have my integrity questioned. Way to make a BOTL feel welcome! I suspect you could care less about the actual issue and are more-or-less trying to instigate drama so I'll bow out gracefully. Not really sure about your "floral foam" poke but wet floral foam has one of the longest proven histories with regards to cigar humidification. Feel free to ignore my opinion/experience, just don't appreciate all the unnecessary drama and school yard politics.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    CAcigarguy007:
    laker1963:
    CAcigarguy007:
    danielruas:
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

Seriously?

Not trying to win a popularity contest. Just giving my opinion and past experience and get attacked at every turn and even have my integrity questioned. Way to make a BOTL feel welcome! I suspect you could care less about the actual issue and are more-or-less trying to instigate drama so I'll bow out gracefully. Not really sure about your "floral foam" poke but wet floral foam has one of the longest proven histories with regards to cigar humidification. Feel free to ignore my opinion/experience, just don't appreciate all the unnecessary drama and school yard politics.
    Just to be clear here, it was you who came in here and started talking about how much you knew and that others advice here was just people opinions whereas YOUR advice was to be looked upon as gospel.

Nobody has attacked you, but you have dissed other peoples advice constantly while trying to pump yourself up with talk of all this experience you have.

I think you need to grow a little thicker skin and learn to take a little dissenting opinion without taking it as a personal attack.

The floral foam remark was made because the majority of BOTL here would NOT be satisfired using a medium which is only capable of releasing humidity not absorbing excess humidity. You have talked of beads picking up a smell after a while and basically told us that if our beads don't stink now... they will, and if we don't report it we must be involved in some sort of bead conspiracy. There are many BOTL here who have used beads for years without any trouble or smells, but we are full of ****, as far as you are concerned.

The BOTL who come here to discuss issues try to make room for other peoples opinions on any topic. Maybe you should give it a try. You may even find people talking to you instead of at you. Your advice is appreciated, your belief that you are the only holder of the truth and anyone who disagrees with you is full of ****... not so much.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    So, how is your cooler comming JSaint?
    One God, One Truth
    laker1963:
    CAcigarguy007:
    laker1963:
    CAcigarguy007:
    danielruas:
    CAcigarguy007:
    blurr:
    CAcigarguy007:

Seriously?

Just to be clear here, it was you who came in here and started talking about how much you knew and that others advice here was just people opinions whereas YOUR advice was to be looked upon as gospel.

Nobody has attacked you, but you have dissed other peoples advice constantly while trying to pump yourself up with talk of all this experience you have.

I think you need to grow a little thicker skin and learn to take a little dissenting opinion without taking it as a personal attack.

The floral foam remark was made because the majority of BOTL here would NOT be satisfired using a medium which is only capable of releasing humidity not absorbing excess humidity. You have talked of beads picking up a smell after a while and basically told us that if our beads don't stink now... they will, and if we don't report it we must be involved in some sort of bead conspiracy. There are many BOTL here who have used beads for years without any trouble or smells, but we are full of ****, as far as you are concerned.

The BOTL who come here to discuss issues try to make room for other peoples opinions on any topic. Maybe you should give it a try. You may even find people talking to you instead of at you. Your advice is appreciated, your belief that you are the only holder of the truth and anyone who disagrees with you is full of ****... not so much.
    WOW! Just WOW......I think we are done here. I will oblige no retort to something so utterly ridiculous. We've said our peace and this thread had been hijacked enough with no fruitful results. ~Case closed
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J, if you have pics sometime soon for the cooler you should post them up, very interested to see what you got going on my friend :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Havent been able to buy any cedar stuff yet but when I get it operational I will post pics no doubt.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    I'm with ya on the manuerish smell....got some the other day that had that amazing smell....bet I smelt them 20 times before I finally put em up!

Do the coffee grounds not do some infusing of their own? I mean I'm sure coffee is better than plastic but wouldn't neutral be even better? I just used dawn original when I cleaned mine and aired it out for a few days.
    wwestern:
    CAcigarguy007:
    I'm with ya on the manuerish smell....got some the other day that had that amazing smell....bet I smelt them 20 times before I finally put em up!

Do the coffee grounds not do some infusing of their own? I mean I'm sure coffee is better than plastic but wouldn't neutral be even better? I just used dawn original when I cleaned mine and aired it out for a few days.
    The best cigars have that scent IMO and many of us appreciate cigars that have that scent, the more the merrier! As far as coffee, I don't really leave it in more than a day or so. It just helps the transition from plastic to cigar aromas. I'm not a big fan of cedar for storage of my cigars. I like it in the cigar but don't like the slight sharpness of the tongue that occurs after long-term storage in a cedar environment so I use coffee to "break in" the plastiadors that I use. I really like coffee flavors in my cigars so I see it more as a no harm/ no foul way to rid the plastic smell that new bins have. It also regulates humidity much the same way as media and surprisingly it will hold RH in the safe zone as well, as it is hygroscopic in nature. Haven't done any long term tests but I'd venture to guess it would be a great infusing agent if left for an extended time. Don't really want to risk any sticks to find out but I really enjoy the scent it gives to fresh plastic; the cigars usually take over in a day or so upon removal of of the coffee grounds so it works awesome in that regard.