Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gained a new hobby - Gem Cutting

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Long time no see! Been really busy with work over the past 3 months but I was able to score a faceting machine at a garage sale and have started cutting gems. I'm going to try and integrate digars and gem cutting next time the weather is nice but every time I try to do SOMETHING and smoke at the same time it never ends well.

Let me know if anyone wants something made up for the hollidays, I have a few requests allready but I can fit a few more in. I might even trade gems for cigars...

This stone below is a spinel and is my very first stone.
image DSCF2167 by bgoldylocks, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! This sorta goes hand-in-hand with your profession, doesn't it? I think that's neat!
  • Options
    it certianly does! I actually went out a while back and collected some nice topaz from a hill here in Utah so I am excited to cut those stones. Pretty cool idea to find a mineral and take it all the way to a cut gemstone all by yourself.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy! I'll say! Ought to be a great deal of satisfaction in that. Rock on, brother. (no pun intended).
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    That is kinda cool man.

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    That cut looks top quality. Perfect!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Super cool, nice pic too
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Awesome job Goldy. I too am a rockhound. Nothing more relaxing then walking over the mountainsides looking for good samples. That or sitting on a riverbank panning. Would love to be able to do that... very nice work.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    that's how it was in the old days from what i'm told. my wife's diamond is an antique mine cut diamond her great aunt had. it's pretty cool how they did it back then.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That's awesome man. Nice work
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Damn, that looks really nice. Think I might have to contact you sometime around Christmas :)
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Wow!! That is awesome, it looks fantastic. Very nice work.
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Damn, that looks really nice. Think I might have to contact you sometime around Christmas :)
    Sounds good, just shoot me a PM and tell me what kind of shape you are interested in.
  • Options
    Goldy, can you, or have you cut many different gem stones? I was thinking about the different hardness and natural flaws of different stones. I was thinking for instance raw sapphire. Could you cut raw sapphiers?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Goldy, can you, or have you cut many different gem stones? I was thinking about the different hardness and natural flaws of different stones. I was thinking for instance raw sapphire. Could you cut raw sapphiers?
    Hardness just makes the stone take longer to grind but doesn't really increase the difficulty. What does increase the dificulty is cleavage which is the stones natrual breaking planes. Sapphires should be no problem and I am going to start cutting them very soon. I also just bought a bunch of opal that I am going to cut next week which should be fun.
  • Options
    Opals are amazing. I have a friend who got a bunch of raw and cut opal when he was in Australia.

Are you going to start a web page or anything with your work dispayed?
  • Options
    Thats a good idea. Right now I'm just posting my things on facebook for friends to see. Do you know how hard it is to make a website?

Just wait till you see the next creation, its sweet.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    Thats a good idea. Right now I'm just posting my things on facebook for friends to see. Do you know how hard it is to make a website?

Just wait till you see the next creation, its sweet.
    I think it is quite easy. For me? Not so much. There are several website guru's on the forums I do believe.

Will you post some of your stuff here? Maybe at least this latest creation you are speaking of.