Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My kids question...

Dad...whats a VCR? He's 9. I'm not that old! Mom explained what it was and his reply was..."kinda like the Blu-ray but super old." Come on man! My kids can't do that to me yet!!

Comments

• Options
    howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    Reminds me of the funny picture i posted in H&R yesterday.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Dad...whats a VCR? He's 9. I'm not that old! Mom explained what it was and his reply was..."kinda like the Blu-ray but super old." Come on man! My kids can't do that to me yet!!
    Jr, if it makes you feel any better, j0z3r is just a baby and you ain't much old than he is........Feel better? Come hang out with us "old farts" at the herf, that'll do it. By the way, we are meeting at Islands Cigar Lounge in Brea on Saturday, come on out.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I guess there is no need to go into the whole VHS vs Betamax thing, nah!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i mentioned at work that i owned a particular album "on vinyl" and one of the new guys just looked at me like i said i had it "on tap water"

i just stopped, looked at him like he was an idiot and said "record. i have a record player."

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Wow, now I know how I must have made my mother feel.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Wife and I talk all the time about how are kids will never know of Y2K or other things that we thought or think are all the rage or the world made a huge fuss over or are defining events in our formative years.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Yeah like computers
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Yeah like computers
    Yep or like cassettes, I couldn't wait to get a player in my car. No more "CLUNK" half way through Stairway To Heaven from the 8 track. Man life was good back then!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm not "old" by any means, but I can still remember the first CD I bought... Nirvana Nevermind... just saw an ad last night saying it was a 20 year anniversary... GEEZ, wierded me out for sure. Oh and btw... I own a record player and spin the wax all the time.. take that!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Just slightly off-topic, but you know what's really weird? When I was younger and computers were just starting to come out, a lot of people took a whole lot of time to know them inside and out. I figured that by this point, when the young adults have grown up on and around computers, they'd all look at me like I can hardly type and could do all sorts of wizardry and basically all, even the most inept of them, be more sophisticated hackers than we thought we were in 1995. BUT NO! If anything goes even the slightest bit wrong, they have no idea how to troubleshoot or fix it. Heck, they freak out if things take a second to load and say "The computer isn't working." I'm not talking about 4th graders either, these are Rutgers University undergraduates sophisticated and smart enough to work in a genetics laboratory.

So I thought this was all a novel observation, until I realized...yeah, I can't even change my own oil. If that check engine light comes on, I don't know WTF to do but drive to a mechanic. Past generations did all their car repairs themselves and probably feel the same way seeing me look at the engine like some magical black box that I'm not allowed to go near...

Not a novel observation at all, just the same old story that we take for granted that which we grow up with...and end up knowing jack **** about it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have some really old " vinyl " I inheritated from my mom when she passed away in 1992 . I think these are probably like from the 40's and 50's maybe . She also had a really cool old record player that for some reason my sister couldn't wait to get her hands on and then sold the damn thing ! If I knew she wanted to sell it I would have bought it from her !
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I have some really old " vinyl " I inheritated from my mom when she passed away in 1992 . I think these are probably like from the 40's and 50's maybe . She also had a really cool old record player that for some reason my sister couldn't wait to get her hands on and then sold the damn thing ! If I knew she wanted to sell it I would have bought it from her !

If you're interested, I have an old Garrard turntable and an amplifier with a built-in 8-track player that I was getting ready to sell on eBay. Everything works but I'm sure the drive belt for the player has crumbled by now and would need replacing. They wouldn't have the sentimental value, is the only thing.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jlmarta:
    gmill880:

If you're interested, I have an old Garrard turntable and an amplifier with a built-in 8-track player that I was getting ready to sell on eBay. Everything works but I'm sure the drive belt for the player has crumbled by now and would need replacing. They wouldn't have the sentimental value, is the only thing.

Thanks for the offer Marty I appreciate that . The one my sister sold was special to me because my mom had it for a very long time , that was my draw to wanting to keep it . I love antiques and history and am turning into somewhat of a packrat like my grand dad was . I have to be careful as I'm occasionally getting the eye roll thing from the wife like " are you kidding me " ? Thanks for the offer though . Gene
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    jlmarta:
    gmill880:

Thanks for the offer Marty I appreciate that . The one my sister sold was special to me because my mom had it for a very long time , that was my draw to wanting to keep it . I love antiques and history and am turning into somewhat of a packrat like my grand dad was . I have to be careful as I'm occasionally getting the eye roll thing from the wife like " are you kidding me " ? Thanks for the offer though . Gene
    Sux that ur sister sold that out from underneath you...but I have begun to collect vinyl since I snatched my grandparents collection...love to hear old classics on the turntable...