Home Non Cigar Related
Options

First Pulled Pork, now trying ribs...

In the oven...I'd love a smoker but finances are aren't good for the electric smoker I'd like, but I'm experimenting with my rubs and b-b-q sauces.

I started out by picking up the largest pork shoulder I could find at the local grocer. Prepared a brown sugar and spices brine and let it soak for about 9-10 hrs in the fridge. Once I was ready, I massaged in my dry rub, got the oven to 225 and let it go for just over 13hrs. The family loved it. I thought I grabbed a big enough one to have left overs for lunch for a couple days but they devoured it! It never made it past the next day!

Trying some ribs today since I have the day off. Made the same brine and let the ribs soak over night. I got up at 5:30, packed on the dry rub let it go! Oven has been at 250 for 5 hrs. I lathered on some hickory bourbon bbq sauce at about the four and half hour mark. When I was doing so, i pulled up one end by the bone...i was expecting it to "fall off" the bone but I was able to pick up the whole rack and flip it! Multiple times to coat with bbq sauce!

My question for you rib cookers...how long do you usually cook your ribs? I'm at 5 hrs and can still pick up the whole rack by one end.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a rack of ST. Louis cut ribs for dinner last night. I think the timing depends on the cut you're using. For example, baby backs are usually a bit smaller than ST. Louis cut and usually about 3 1/2 hours at 225 should do it for baby backs. For ST Louis cut I'd add a couple hours. I did mine at 225 for about 5 hrs. And they could have used another 1/2 hour but my child bride was hungry.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    It really depends on how you smoke them. My ribs are fall off the bone in 3 hours. 1.5 hours smoked and then I put them in a aluminum container and fill it with apple juice and cover with aluminum sheet *tightly*. Put them back on for another 1.5 hours right over the heat so that it boils in the apple juice. They will be falling off the bone. Lather with your fave bbq sauce and grill them over the heat for a few seconds so it gives it that char. It's an awesome technique for the most moist, tender and smokey flavor. Try it out, you will not regret it! :)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    When smoking ribs I aspire to the 3-2-1 method, thats 3 hours uncovered at 225, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour unwrapped to finish. On BB's the time would be reduced accordingly
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I usually smoke my ribs now but still like using the oven from time to time. I like to toss them on the grill for a couple of minutes after they come out of the oven. It gives them a slight char on some of the edges and carmalizes the sauce.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Not sure what rack they are. They def wasn't baby back ribs. They longer than that. I didn't take note of if they were beef or pork ribs either. I know my way around the kitchen and figured I'd wing it off what my family and I enjoy. Kinda wish I would have done some internet reading but I like to learn from experience. I'm at about 6 hrs and ready to bast it one more time. I'll hit the grill with it for little charring and see what happens.
  • Options
    Sounds good. I was shooting for a temp of 200 degrees but pulled them out at about 190. They were done but coulda used a few more degrees, I think.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I fixed a few of these this summer for get togethers and I just used the 2-3-1 method and it worked for me. I don't have a smoker so I let the ribs dry bath in rub for 2 hrs in the fridge. Then I double wrapped them in foil for the oven. Cooked at 225 for around 3 hrs before putting them on the grill to smoke.

Now comes the fun part. I put all my charcoals (won't take much) on one side of the grill with wood chips to create the smoke. Over top the charcoals and chips I use a cast iron skillet with water in it to keep the moisture inside the grill. Remember you have to cook ribs slow...that being said the grill shouldn't be over 150 or they will burn. Key is to leave the lid closed so the smoke and moisture from the skillet can do its thing, only opening to flip the ribs at the halfway point.

Another thing I wait to put the barbeque sause on until they r nearly done, because I don't like burnt sause. Just a preferance though. Using this method when I take them off the grill they just slide off the bone.....very time consuming but worth every minute.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago when I hunted, I picked up a Smoke Vault Smoker. (propane) It was the best smoker I ever owned. IMO for the price cant find a better smoker. One of the benefits of an electric smoker is the constant temp, but one of the drawbacks is the size, The Big Chief just wasnt big enough. This propane smoker also maitained a nice consistent temp and offered plenty of room and numerous removable shlves. Ive smoked Chickens, ribs, venison, salmon you name it and was great. Hadnt ever done a turkey. used a deep fryer for that.;o)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use a propane smoker as well, really lke the convenience
  • Options
    Well the ribs ended up turning out ok. Not as good as i would have liked. The softness was there. It fell off the bone but thats a given if your temp is low and slow. Its the flavor that sets it off to me. I think I used a bit too much cayanne. Maybe a little too much paprika as well. I'll give it another shot this weekend. Thanks for all the inside scoop fellas!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Well the ribs ended up turning out ok. Not as good as i would have liked. The softness was there. It fell off the bone but thats a given if your temp is low and slow. Its the flavor that sets it off to me. I think I used a bit too much cayanne. Maybe a little too much paprika as well. I'll give it another shot this weekend. Thanks for all the inside scoop fellas!
    just cyrious what flavor/type wood chips did you use? I like hickory or Alder for pork.
  • Options
    I like a sweet bbq style ribs. Covered in tasty sauce! I wish I could tell you I had some great wood...leave it alone, LoL...but I'm using the oven. I'm working on getting smoker but until...I'm stuck in the kitchen.
  • Options
    jr_p951:

I'm told that if you can find some smoked paprika that it's a bit hotter than regular paprika and maybe you could cut down on the cayenne a bit so's not to get 'em too hot. I haven't tried it yet but I'm watching for the smoked paprika.