Home General Discussion
Options

La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte

I saw the daily deal for a box of these in the Toro vitola and was wondering if I should get them.
I tried the Oscuro Fuerte corona I got in the AJ corona sampler, but I was not that impressed. I got slightly bitter flavors in the first half with the usual flavor profile from the PA maduro wrapper. It was a little better in the second half with the spice covering it more, but there was that lingering bitter flavor...

I looked up reviews of this line and people seem to like it a lot and compared it to Diesel. It was nothing like the Diesel Shorty I had a few weeks ago which was really good.

I've tried several lines of AJ blends (and like them), but none from the La Herencia line before.
Was it the vitola that was the cause? Everything else that had the maduro wrapper that AJ blended that I've smoked had a larger ring gauge, above 50. I'm not sure if I should get that box now. I don't think it was a humidity problem as I kept it at ~70%, and left it outside for a bit before lighting it. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I love LHCOF I think the vitola may have made it bitter, it may have been young.
    I think the Toro is a great size I like it better than the Robusto. I also like the belicoso.
    I really don't find it like Diesel at all. The flavor is meaty, with cocoa and espresso notes, hint of woodsy goodness. There is also a hint of spice. The sticks are always consistent, and always stay lit and have a consistent burn.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hopped on that!

I had one of these a while back and really enjoyed it. There were some sweet kind of flavors in there too. I'd like to get this box and let em sit awhile.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I really like the LHCOF. It has an aroma and flavor that is really all its own. I think its comparable to the cu avana punisher but better balanced, i may be mistaken. It's been a while since I had the LCHOF. Just had the punisher a week or so ago and it reminded me of OF, the reviews don't lie. The punisher will burn your face off. Definitely an occasion kind of stick...maybe for an after dinner of cajun cooking or something.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    You know for me, of all the PA wrapper sticks this one is the bottom rank. It is just okay in my book. It is not bad and I don't mind smoking one, but in my opin it is a yard gar kind of stick. SO many other good sticks out there made with the Lancaster leaf that kick its butt.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got 3 that were gifted by various Borks but I've yet to put fire to any yet
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    like all the LHC lines
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews, this particular blend (IMO) is one that put AJ on that map. Many BOTL really dug this blend (myself included). Different smokes for different folks but for the price, that was a heck-of-a-deal on that box. Especially for value hounds, that was like a world series walk off grand slam ;)
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    along with most of the aj fernandez stuff, this is my favorite smoke so far. but then, i just started up smoking cigars again, there are too many good sticks to choose from.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I really like the LHCOF but only in the toro size so far. Didnt care for the fat robusto much. Havent tried the Beli yet.
  • Options
    You know, I love many of AJ's blends like many others here. But I actually am not a fan of the LHCOF. But hey, we all got our own preferences right :)
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    ShotgunJohn:
    I love LHCOF I think the vitola may have made it bitter, it may have been young.
    I think the Toro is a great size I like it better than the Robusto. I also like the belicoso.
    I really don't find it like Diesel at all. The flavor is meaty, with cocoa and espresso notes, hint of woodsy goodness. There is also a hint of spice. The sticks are always consistent, and always stay lit and have a consistent burn.

+1 Just like the man said LHCOF is a great stick with some time on it. Only had the Toro size and its great for 1.5 hr vacation. Nothing like the Diesel Line, day and night. ShotgunJohn is right on the money when he speaks of the flavors of meaty, with cocoa and espresso notes, hint of woodsy goodness.
    Imho, you can't go wrong. I got hooked on this line a few years back when I started getting some DD from Ccom and have been a fan since. Will and always have some in the humidor.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I really like these cigars in all the vitolas but my favorites are the toro (love the smaller ring gauge) and the salomon (just love salomons in general). I've found they age very well. So far I've got some with a year and change on them and they just keep getting better. All the flavors are still present but much more harmonious and any bitterness you get when they are young is completely gone. It's all just smooth richness.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good smoke imo. I'm smoking the toro as we speak.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My .02 - if you didnt care for the corona, may I suggest you try a flight sampler of the line before you go jumping into an entire box of something you didnt care for, in a size you've never had? Might be the smarter way to go.

Remember - reviews and the opinions of fellow BOTL's are all well and good, but the only person who can decide what is a good cigar for you, is YOU. :-)