Home General Discussion
Options

Hiatus??

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know - - I might ought to take a hiatus from cigars for a while. I generally smoke a stick a day. On rare occasions I might smoke two. But lately it seems that they all taste alike and I can't recall ever smoking the same thing two days in a row. Maybe my taste buds need a rest.

I mean, whether it's an every-day type of stick or one of the super-premiums from the COTM offering, it doesn't seem to matter much.

Anybody have any opinions on this topic? Does this happen to any of you guys?

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yep. Take two weeks off. It will completely refresh your palate.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yep. Take two weeks off. It will completely refresh your palate.
    Agreed, also, while you're at it, read Mark Twains short story "The Appetite Cure" (if I remember the title correctly), I'm betting you'll be back to first rate enjoyment before Thanksgiving!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I posted the same thing a month ago, I took a week and a half off and cut down to 3-4 a week from 6-10. I now can once again taste the changes in the cigar as well as pick up on minute stuff again. But I warn you as I was no longer having the next day after taste, well now its like a sumo wrestler crapped in my mouth in the morning, both ends of it are hightened again. Enjoy my brother.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    This happens to me way to often. My palate is actually worse than when I first started on cigars. I used to be able to taste way more subtle flavors than I do now. I blame my addiction to retrohaling.
  • Options
    cooch36:
    I posted the same thing a month ago, I took a week and a half off and cut down to 3-4 a week from 6-10. I now can once again taste the changes in the cigar as well as pick up on minute stuff again. But I warn you as I was no longer having the next day after taste, well now its like a sumo wrestler crapped in my mouth in the morning, both ends of it are hightened again. Enjoy my brother.

Jeez, Cooch, that mental image isn't helping a d@mned bit, ya know!! Sumo wrestler, indeed. Boy, that's just the kind of encouragement I need!! (I think not) LOL
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope this doesn't happen to me for a while... I'm a 2-3 stick a day guy... part of that is the stress going on right now, but some is just my love for the leaf. Also helps that I'm attempting to get into the industry as a rep or anything else I can find. I'd love to make a career out of this.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

Jeez, Cooch, that mental image isn't helping a d@mned bit, ya know!! Sumo wrestler, indeed. Boy, that's just the kind of encouragement I need!! (I think not) LOL
    LOL brother, I really need the break too and it helped alot I'm enjoying my sticks much more. I use to smoke will driving long commutes and then at home at night ant they all turned blan. I really enjoyed a Padron 64 the other night again for the first time. I have a box of them and have had a few that didn't stand out after two yrs of steady puffing the break was deff. what I needed.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I know when my dad moved in with me and my wife in March 17th this year . I think I only smoked 3-4 cigars between then and when he passed on Aug 13 this year because of time constraints and taking care of him . Also didn't have much alchohol those months either , less than a six pack and less than half a pint of rum . Both cigars and my favorite drinks tasted a little more , lets just say they had more " pop " to them now .
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liking I'm still pretty much a 3-4 stick a week guy and about the only time I break out a Scotch now is when I fire up a stick so they both still give me great enjoyment. And I still got the aftertase the next day.
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I guess it's a double edged sword...I wish I had the opportunity to smoke more but my pallet is bad to begin with so I guess I am lucky to not have this happen to me :/
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

BTW Jlmarta would you have felt better if the sumo wrestler was a 5'4" 112 lbs blond in a sumo suit?
  • Options
    cooch36:
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

BTW Jlmarta would you have felt better if the sumo wrestler was a 5'4" 112 lbs blond in a sumo suit?

If the gender happened to be female, I'd probably say it sounds quite tasty.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

If the gender happened to be female, I'd probably say it sounds quite tasty.
    LOL thats what I ment.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down visiting my Mom for the week so I'm taking a short Hiatus from cigars. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cooch36 said:
    I don't know. I never had a sumo wrestler crap in my mouth. What's that like?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    III M Drinking lots of coffee
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told ya those Cubans would ruin you B)
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Total stands at zero smoked, zero purchased, driving home today.
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Total stands at zero smoked, zero purchased, driving home today.
    Have a safe drive home Chris.