Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

ALS Charity Contest! ***Winner Chosen***

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
I posted this on non-cigar related, but then I decided to make it a bit more fun. Anyone who donates, I'll throw your name into a hat, let mom pick one out on race day, and send a prize package your way!

BOTL's, I'm not sure I've ever brought this up on here, but my mom is suffering from ALS, Lou Gherig's disease. She's had the disease for almost two years now and is steadily declining in her function, growing weaker every time I see her. At this point, she is beyond even experimental treatment consideration and attends a clinic in Philadelphia to extend and enhance her life as best as is possible.

This weekend I'm running 3 miles for a Charity called the ALS Hope Foundation, which (among other things) supports the clinic my mother attends, and through that helps many people suffering with the disease.

I know times are tough for everyone financially, but any show of support for this horrible disease would be greatly appreciated. The website to accept donations is here.

Thanks in advance to all for your support, whether you can donate or not.

Sorry it took so long to pick a winner, mom didn't make it to the event and while I was waiting to get her to do it at home by text message, she landed herself in the hospital. Not a big deal, just an infection around her feeding tube, she's supposed to come home today.

Anyways, Greg2648 is the winner!! PM to you, sir!
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    Also reply here, PM me (if you want to be anonymous to the board), or donate using your handle on here. I might not know/remember your real name!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Nice work Ken! Just made my donation!!!! Good Luck Bro!
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Prayers for you and your Mom. I made a donation Ken because back in 2006 I was diagnosed with ALS. However I was one of the lucky ones and later was told that I was misdiagnosed and instead have PLS which is crippling but not fatal. I don't think many are aware of just how devastating ALS is not only for the one diagnosed with it but for the family. God Bless you and your mom and your family
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Nice work Ken! Just made my donation!!!! Good Luck Bro!
    Thanks brother!!

MTuccelli:
    Prayers for you and your Mom. I made a donation Ken because back in 2006 I was diagnosed with ALS. However I was one of the lucky ones and later was told that I was misdiagnosed and instead have PLS which is crippling but not fatal. I don't think many are aware of just how devastating ALS is not only for the one diagnosed with it but for the family. God Bless you and your mom and your family
    That's a crazy story, man, I haven't heard of PLS! Must've allowed you to put your life in a new perspective though...I'm slowly doing so vicariously through my mom, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the same.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    That's a crazy story, man, I haven't heard of PLS! Must've allowed you to put your life in a new perspective though...I'm slowly doing so vicariously through my mom, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the same.
    When they first diagnosed me with ALS I went through the "Why God" stage and then the "Pity Party" and then "Regret". The regret part was the hardest for me to get through, I worried that I didn't do enough for my family and friends and that I didn't live a better life and so on and so on.

Then one day I just snapped out of that slump and realized God wasn't to blame, I had done the best I could do as a son and father and pity parties are only for one and I liked being around others. Once I got through that and accepted God's will for my life whether it was over or to go on that is when things changed for me.

I do have a bucket list and it isn't filled with all kinds of crazy stuff to do, it has only one thing in it and that is to dance at my grand daughters wedding cause I have done just about everything else a man can do in a life time.

If I was to give any advice to someone that has a family member or friend going through this is to help them understand that God didn't make them sick and to not have any regrets about their life

• Options
    Little bump for this one...only 3 in the running so far, ends tomorrow night!
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Little bump for this one...only 3 in the running so far, ends tomorrow night!

Ken, stay strong and thanks for putting a effort towards finding a cure through donations. Made my donation this morning.

• Options
    Saw it and figured it was you! Thanks, Rick!!
  • Options
    One last bump, running this tomorrow morning!!
  • Options
    Congrats to Greg! PM to you, sir!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    NICE job Ken! I hope it all went well and folk were generous!!

Congrats Greg!
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Greg and nice why to bring some awareness to this Ken....

• Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. PM Sent.
  • Options
    Ken you are a true blessing to your family...and Greg congrats brother
  • Options
    You guys were amazing, especially for such short notice, you made up nearly half of the money I raised, including the 250 facebook friends I sent an invite to.

This will not be the last time I do this, and next time I will give more notice for sure, but I honestly wasn't sure I could complete the 3-mile run and didn't want to raise money for something I wasn't sure I could complete. I posted this on the first day I ran 3 miles successfully, after 2 weeks of training. Running has also been great therapy for all of this, I'm now in week 4 of running and am on track to run 15 miles total this week, ending in a 5k on saturday. Then all the beer and hot dogs I can stomach, lol
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Then all the beer and hot dogs I can stomach, lol
    What better way to Carb up