Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Alcohol suggestions for cocktails?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. I'm usually a scotch, rum, and beer lover, but money is pretty tight at the moment. That and the fact that Canadian prices on scotch, bourbon, beer, and cognac are ridiculous compared to the US prices, I might have to wait until I get a good money flow going.

Gin, vermouth, and rum here are cheaper than in the US for some reason.

Since gin and vermouth are cheap here, I was thinking of making martinis and rob roys. However, I haven't tried gin before. Does anyone have any suggestions for which brand of gin is best for martinis? Also, I have JW Black and JW Green. Would those be good for a rob roy or would something else be better in your opinion?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    My choice of Gin is Bombay Sapphire. Heavily refined, and a bit more costly than say, Gordon, etc., but very, very good.
    If you are not a regular gin drinker, beware. It WILL make you crazy. You know that cozy, warm, bourbon feeling, resting on the couch, enjoying a good cigar? Forget it. Your ass will be out on the town hooting and hollering it up. Crazy.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Gin and Rockstar. no joke. in reality, it sounds like you are looking for something more sophisticated. I do enjoy Gin every once in a great while. Bombay is what I have enjoyed the most.
    What are the tequila prices like? A good Anejo tequila like Don Julio is worth checking out if it's affordable. What are prices on single malt scotch like up there? You can also shop on Ebay for liquor. of course it's for the bottle, you just happen to get the contents included.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Gin and tonic - classic. Beefeaters for a dryer bite; Tanqueray for a bit sweeter cocktail.
  • Options
    Gin gimlet my friend. Gin, a squeeze of lime and a little bit of soda water. Enjoy.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

dennisking:
    What are the tequila prices like? A good Anejo tequila like Don Julio is worth checking out if it's affordable. What are prices on single malt scotch like up there?
    Strangely enough, tequila prices here are just as ridiculous as scotch is. Jose Cuervo is about 40 bucks for a 750 mL bottle. All the Don Julios, Cazadores, and Patron are 85 to 100 bucks per 750 mL bottle. Single malt scotch can be in the same range. I've seen Glenfiddich 12 Year go for 45 and Glenlivet 18 Years for 100.

As for cognac, Remi Martin VSOP is about 90 bucks for a 750 mL bottle. I remember seeing those for about 45 to 50 back in MS.

If anyone moves here, make sure you stock up on your scotch, tequila, and cognacs back in the US.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Take a look at Hendricks gin, throw some of that over ice with Fever Tree tonic and a lime wedge and you've got yourself one hell of a G&T.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    those are the same prices in Oregon. we have high liquor taxes. I'll pay it though to get the right stuff. damn I'm a wh0re
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a nice manhattan? One part sweet vermouth, two parts whiskey, brandy, or scotch - whichever you prefer, a dash or two of bitters, shake with ice and strain into a manhattan glass, add a maraschino cherry and, voila! Good grits, Maynard.,
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    How about Everclear grain alcohol and fruit punch? Drank that from a communal Rubbermaid trash barrel at a frat party once. It's cheap...but on the downside, may cause blindness.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It's a little bit of work, but I love a good Old Fashioned. Get some orange slices and marachino cherries and "muddle" them (mash 'em up) in the bottom of a glass with a pinch of sugar (or as much as you want). Throw in a couple cubes of ice, add your favorite bourbon (I really like it with Maker's Mark) and add a dash of Angostura bitters. Some people like to add a splash of water or club soda. I don't, I just drink slow and let the ice take care of taking a little bite off.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    After a web search, I found you can apparently make the same drink with gin, but I it looks like they leave out the orange and cherries. Called an Old Fashioned Gin Cocktail.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    man o man Gin Gimmlet is awesome, or Vodka Just your choice and a dash of Rosetta lime juice and your golden
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    y2pascoe:
    How about Everclear grain alcohol and fruit punch? Drank that from a communal Rubbermaid trash barrel at a frat party once. It's cheap...but on the downside, may cause blindness.
    Hunch Punch! I too sir have drank this. It is deadly because you can't taste any alcohol. My friend (on the way back time machine) funneled this. Probably not the smartest idea. haha! Ahhh memories of College.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    djbeenie:
    y2pascoe:
    Hunch Punch! I too sir have drank this. It is deadly because you can't taste any alcohol. My friend (on the way back time machine) funneled this. Probably not the smartest idea. haha! Ahhh memories of College.
    Can he still see?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    y2pascoe:
    djbeenie:
    y2pascoe:
    Can he still see?

I too wondered upon this wonderful concoction once upon a good time . After several very large tumblers of this I found myself outdoors lying on my back holding onto the grass with both hands to keep from falling off the Earth !!!