Home Cigar 101
Options

Maduro sampler

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I am putting together a custom sampler of mostly maduros on this site to order. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ones I should maybe switch for something else or if it looks pretty good as is. Any opinions are welcome. What I am looking at is:

5 Vegas Series 'A', Alpha (Torpedo), Maduro
CAO 'VR', Cathedral (Torpedo), Maduro
CAO Brazilia, Gol, Maduro
Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Robusto, Double Maduro
Edge By Rocky Patel, Toro Maduro, Maduro
Gurkha Regent, Toro, Habano
Gurkha Fuerte, Toro, Habano
Natural by Drew Estate, , Maduro
Natural by Drew Estate, Ltd. Ed. Irish Hops, Habano
Natural by Drew Estate, Pimp Stick (Ltd. Ed.), Habano
Perdomo Lot 23, Toro, Maduro
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Mini Belicoso (Cigar.com Exclusive), Maduro

The exceptions here are the Gurkhas (but I have heard great things about the Regent and the Fuerte just looks really good) and the Naturals, but I really want to try those as well. I also have a Rocky Patel Fusion Double Maduro in my basket, it isn't an option in the custom sampler here. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got a good sampler going. The following is only my opinion(so no flame spraying:)
    The Edge, CAO Brazilia and CAO VR, though good smokes, arent really beginner smokes. Dont let that deter you, they still have good maduro characteristics, they are just on a diffrent end of the scale. I'd suggest the RP Olde World Maduro(I love this smoke and its a good showcase of nicaraguan tobacco), Gurkha Legend(Put all the BS of Gurkha aside and this is a good cigar, rich and flavorful, the 8 years of aging really smooths this stick out), Monte media noche(smooth, rich, and medium bodied). Again, my opinions only. The i-press also has an awesome flavor to it, but they seem to have burn issues.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you're talking maduro cigars, then I don't think the Onyx can be skipped. One of the best maduros I've had.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'd sub the Montecristo Media Noche for one of those Drew Estates cigars.
  • Options

Thank you all for the input. From your suggestions I have altered the list to this:

5 Vegas Series 'A', Alpha (Torpedo), Maduro
    Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Robusto, Double Maduro
    Gurkha Legend, Perfecto, Maduro
    Gurkha Regent, Toro, Habano
    Gurkha Fuerte, Toro, Habano
    Montecristo Media Noche, No. 2, Maduro
    Natural by Drew Estate, , Maduro
    Natural by Drew Estate, Ltd. Ed. Irish Hops, Habano
    Natural by Drew Estate, Pimp Stick (Ltd. Ed.), Habano
    Rocky Patel Olde World, Toro, Maduro
    Perdomo Lot 23, Toro, Maduro
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Mini Belicoso (Cigar.com Exclusive), Maduro

I also have the RP Double Maduro and the Onyx in my basket.

I know alot of people are anti-infused cigars, but I really do enjoy the ones I have had so far, and have read and heard alot of good things about the Natural line. Once again, I appreciate the advice everybody, my mouth is watering right now, lol. 

• Options
    That's a great sampler, alien. I haven't had all of them, but the ones I have had -- the 5 Vegas, Cusano, Gurkha Fuerte, Monte, RP Double Maduro, and Onyx -- have all been excellent. And they show off the variety of the maduro wrapper, from quite sweet (Cusano) to very savory (Onyx), and lots of variations in between.
  • Options

Awesome, thanks for the input. That is pretty much what I was going for, a good sampling of different types of maduros. Out of the few cigars I have had, I really have preferred the maduros the most. I am kinda stuck with bumming out here, there are no B&Ms and the only place that has cigars only has a couple of the cheaper Arturo Fuente and Romeo and Juliets.

I have had a few of the Thompson house blend maduros (one of them was okay, kinda crappy burn, but a decent draw and okay flavor), an Oliva Serie G Maduro which I really liked, and a Graycliff 1666 torpedo which I really enjoyed. So, for this purchase, I wanted to get a few I haven't tried at all and see where I go from there. Again, thanks everyone for the input.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    If you're talking maduro cigars, then I don't think the Onyx can be skipped. One of the best maduros I've had.
    agreed

also the sancho panza double maduro.
  • Options
    Oooo, yeah, I forgot that one.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    also the sancho panza double maduro.
    added ;)
  • Options
    Im brand new to cigars and all(disclaimer).. been through a few samplers off these sites.... Graycliff 1666 was pretty good IMO,,ordered some more.... dont see it mentioned here often though. and ild put the Brazalia back in your basket.... I bought a box of those the other night..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The CAO MX2 is my favorite maduro PERIOD and come on you have to take the advice of a guy with the screen name madurofan.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Some good ones ya got there.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The CAO MX2 is my favorite maduro PERIOD and come on you have to take the advice of a guy with the screen name madurofan.
    forgot about that one:) had few of those a really like them as well, got some more those waiting to be smoked as well....guess ill have one now..thanks maddy
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

mustluvcigars:
    madurofan:
    forgot about that one:) had few of those a really like them as well, got some more those waiting to be smoked as well....guess ill have one now..thanks maddy

Yea the CAO MX2 is a awsome smoke-one of my fav maduro's as well

• Options
    gmill880:

mustluvcigars:
    madurofan:

Yea the CAO MX2 is a awsome smoke-one of my fav maduro's as well

1/4 of the way into this now, throw this one in your basket for sure, youll be glad you did...
  • Options
    Heh. Did we mention a bigger humidor?
  • Options
    urbino:
    Forget the humidor...do you have an empty room you can convert? Or a wife you can disown to free up room to convert?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Forget the humidor...do you have an empty room you can convert? Or a wife you can disown to free up room to convert?
    Or a wealthy one you can deevorce and get half her assets?
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Or a wealthy one you can deevorce and get half her assets?
    Shhh!!! Don't give away my plan.
  • Options
    mustluvcigars:
    Im brand new to cigars and all(disclaimer).. been through a few samplers off these sites.... Graycliff 1666 was pretty good IMO,,ordered some more.... dont see it mentioned here often though. and ild put the Brazalia back in your basket.... I bought a box of those the other night..
    I have had the Graycliff 1666 and I have another one its way here right now. I am mainly trying to get a bunch in this sampler that I haven't tried before so I know what to buy in larger quantities in the future. I agree with you though, the Graycliff was pretty good. I will definately keep a couple of them in my humidor.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I was waiting for you to chime in, lol, with your screen name I figured you would've been one of the first. I was going to add it, but then someone else mentioned the CAO's I had in my previous list weren't beginner smokes, so I figured the MX2 might fall into that category as well. Oh well, I'm putting one in the basket, I'll just smoke it last out of all the rest of them. After I get through this sampler, I don't think I'll be a "newbie" anymore, lol.
  • Options
    Nope, wife is as broke as I am, lol. And I figured I was doing good marrying me a college girl, oh well.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    someone else mentioned the CAO's I had in my previous list weren't beginner smokes

Guilty......lol
    Sorry man, ive had em before and really like em, but i gave one to one of my buds who insisted on trying one, normally hes a 5 Vegas Gold/Cameroon smoker, b@stard turned green after an inch and threw it away.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:
    someone else mentioned the CAO's I had in my previous list weren't beginner smokes

Guilty......lol
    Sorry man, ive had em before and really like em, but i gave one to one of my buds who insisted on trying one, normally hes a 5 Vegas Gold/Cameroon smoker, b@stard turned green after an inch and threw it away.
    Well I am a beginner too, but somebody forgot to warn about non-beginner cigars,,, I seem to be liking some of those the best,,, I am curious though want is meant by "for expienced smokers" you know the Edge by RP has that warning on it too? burned into the crate,,, also curious about the warning "not to be smoked on an empty stomach"
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    mustluvcigars:
    I have had the Graycliff 1666 and I have another one its way here right now. I am mainly trying to get a bunch in this sampler that I haven't tried before so I know what to buy in larger quantities in the future. I agree with you though, the Graycliff was pretty good. I will definately keep a couple of them in my humidor.
    IMO,, if you liked the 1666 you will like the CAO Brazalia as much, but lets wait on more explanation on the whole "beginner" issue,, I agree you should try to sample some you dont have or havent tried,
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

Guilty......lol
    Nah man, its all good. I don't think I'll be turning green, but I also understand that I probably wouldn't fully appreciate alot of cigars until my palate has matured a bit more.
  • Options
    mustluvcigars:
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

Guilty......lol
    Well I am a beginner too, but somebody forgot to warn about non-beginner cigars,,, I seem to be liking some of those the best,,, I am curious though want is meant by "for expienced smokers" you know the Edge by RP has that warning on it too? burned into the crate,,, also curious about the warning "not to be smoked on an empty stomach"
    I assume the "not to be smoked on an empty stomach" would be referring to the strength of the cigar.
  • Options
    mustluvcigars:
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

Guilty......lol

I'm by far and away not "the voice of god" on this issue, just trying to pass on a few thing from experience. The warning on the RP edge box is marketing. Yes it's strong but it's not the barn burner he makes it out to be. Full bodied cigars should be smoked on a full stomach, it offsets the strength of the cigar so to speak. Smoke a full body on an empty stomach, you'll feel it, not in a good way. Being a dumbass i lit a Gurkha Triple Ligero in the morning on the way to work, without anything in my stomach...i **** you not, i had to pull over, toss it out the window and wait for about 15 minutes until my innards (and head) calmed down. Just expierience bro. I dont want a new cigar smoker to pick up the wrong stick, have a bad expierience and walk away forever.....hell that morning on the side of the road i almost did....:)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    mustluvcigars:
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

Guilty......lol

I'm by far and away not "the voice of god" on this issue, just trying to pass on a few thing from experience. The warning on the RP edge box is marketing. Yes it's strong but it's not the barn burner he makes it out to be. Full bodied cigars should be smoked on a full stomach, it offsets the strength of the cigar so to speak. Smoke a full body on an empty stomach, you'll feel it, not in a good way. Being a dumbass i lit a Gurkha Triple Ligero in the morning on the way to work, without anything in my stomach...i **** you not, i had to pull over, toss it out the window and wait for about 15 minutes until my innards (and head) calmed down. Just expierience bro. I dont want a new cigar smoker to pick up the wrong stick, have a bad expierience and walk away forever.....hell that morning on the side of the road i almost did....:)
    LMAO... I think I understand,, and you by no means are the only one ive heard call those not beginner cigars.....ummm, maybe my pack a day of camel full flavors,,, and the non-filter Pall-mall. back-in-the-day) make me the not so beginner beginner.....I could see a non-amoker have the same expeince just on those...never thought of that way...that Brazalia is a strong cigar,,, the MX2 not that strong,,,
  • Options
    I also have had a pack and a half a day habit for about 15 years, so nicotine is nothing new. I am in the process of quitting, and probably already would have if I had cigars more readily available. Smoking cigars is a whole different animal, and I find it much more pleasureable than cigarettes. Cigarettes are really more of a habit, whereas each cigar you smoke can be a whole new experience. I am loving it so far, lol.

I get what you are saying Jet, if someone who wasn't used to nicotine at all picked up a heavy duty cigar, it would probably end poorly, lol. Like I said, I have smoked a pack and a half a day for about 15 years and a couple of cigars I have smoked still gave me a little head rush, and I know there are more powerful ones out there.