Home Cigar 101
Options

Cold Storage Question

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I am about to button up the summer cottage for winter (in Montana) and I do leave the heat on about 45 or 50 degrees. Question....... what will happen if I leave a few cigars in my humidor (with beads) for like 4 months with the indoor temp at 50 ? I was thinking of leaving some because we do go up in winter for a week or so. Any harm done to store sticks in the humidor at 50 degrees? Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I wouldn't...4 months is a very long time for unattended beads....50 degrees is also not ideal...when you go up just bring some smokes with you...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the temp alone wont be too bad.

the big issue here is the humidity. even if you charge your beads up they will be sucked dry quickly.
    cold air does not hold RH well. that cool air will de-charge your beads faster than you can imagine. id say that after a month you would be in the range of conditions that could be a problem.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do it.. You may be disappointed when you finally get back to them.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup the beads won't hold out nearly long enuf.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info..... I will take them all and bring some back when we go in winter. I was hoping the beads would keep in a completely unopened humidor. Good to learn this stuff.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    jadelt:
    Thanks for the info..... I will take them all and bring some back when we go in winter. I was hoping the beads would keep in a completely unopened humidor. Good to learn this stuff.
    I think even in most places, even in the spring or summer when there is much more humidity in the air 4 months unattended would still be too long...they r pretty much work and hassle free but still need some care about once a month maybe 2 stretching it....a full humi will help holding the humidity...