Home Cigar 101
Options

Hygrometers

I know to most, it's nothing new, but to some, it's hard to believe to the fullest.

I recently bought a larger humidor to replace my old one.  It worked great, but was not big enough to really put in a hygrometer and right sized humidifier and with 15 or so various sized sticks was pretty much packed.  I'll use it for bulk storage I think.

So, the new humidor of course came with an analog hygrometer and I calibrated it knowing it may not be the most accurate.  A couple rounds of the salt test then the wet rag test and it was about as dead on as I thought it could be.  "Great, I have a good one that works", I shouted with glee.

However, I decided to buy a digital to replace it just because.  I finally got the new digi calibrated and got it in the humidor.  The analog was reading about 85-88% which I thought might be right since I fully charged the humidifier and only have maybe 40 sticks in this big box.

I put the analog in the tester bag and the digi in the humidor and what to my surprise, the digi shows down to 73% in about an hour in the humidor.  The analog in the 75.5% test bag is at 88% and rising.

The moral of this long, old new story, really, don't trust analog hygrometers, especaily when you can buy god qauality digitals for $20.  :o)

Now I'm ready to stock up.  ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Wanna know what's worse than an analog hygrometer? A Thompson analog hygrometer!