Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Questions concerning putting in humidor???

ok, so im a pretty smart guy, got a college degree majoring in biology. with that said, im familiar with what im about to ask, but want others opinions.

ok, most cigars i see are wrapped in a plastic. question is, when my humidor is set up, should i leave plastic on or take it off???

i've read alot and most say the plastic allows moisture to go in and out keeping the cigar at the right humidity in a humidor.

others say if you take off the plastic, the flavors can "marry" and basically all taste the same.

im new to cigars, but not new to biology which deals with how water vapor moves. SO, if the plastic can allow humidity to get to the cigar in the humidor, then smell and flavor can ALSO get to other cigars.

so heres my thing, if its breathable, then it dont matter if its on or off, they flavors could marry anyway. if its not breathable then no humidity would be getting in or out in the humidor.

so what is your opinion? leave it on or take it off? i have a smaller 20 cigar humidor on the way as well as a variety of cigars, so there will be different types all in the same box. yes, i will season the humidor first.

so, plastic on or off? and give your reasons why.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I leave the cellophane on simply because it adds a level of protection. I used to store my cigars sans cello and I can't tell you how many cracked, split and chipped wrappers I had.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    This is the most asked, most over-thought question I see in the cigar word. I don't say that to be antagonistic, but rather just as a general observation.

My thoughts on this subject are: It's not plastic. It's Cellophane, so humidity can freely flow through it. It adds a layer of protection that I like, so I leave it on.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I leave the cellophane on simply because it adds a level of protection. I used to store my cigars sans cello and I can't tell you how many cracked, split and chipped wrappers I had.
    that
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    j0z3r:
    that
    agreed. i leave it on.

there may be some vapor that gets through the cellophane, but i doubt that even with years in the humidor most palates cannot taste the difference.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    extra protection is why I leave it on, don't have to be as careful when digging around

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    j0z3r:
    that
    x2
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Never take off the cello. It is a vegetable product and doesn't affect the cigar, just protects it. Taking it off is like removing the peel off a banana. Might it taste better if the banana rubs against the other ones? Sure. Is it worth the hassle, damage to the banana, and wrapper issues on the skin? Never.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about you, but I prefer my banana not have that cover over it whenever possible. I believe that it is worth the hassle to avoid said protection, if at all possible. It really doesn't really matter to me that it is a natural product, that its purpose is to protect said banana from damage ...and lastly, since I have NO experience on how a wrapper on my banana impacts its taste nor saves damage to the skin when it rubs against other bananas....I will leave that to more experience botls to comment on :)
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    You have overlooked one HUGE factor for one cigar transfering flavor to another... the natural oils of the wrapper.

cello breathes, allowing proper humidity, protects your cigars from damage, *AND* keeps cigars from directly transfering wrapper oils from one stick to another.

there are no downsides. Leave it on!
  • Options
    A related question on the topic... Can one buy these cellos for wrapping sticks that you're moving from a purchased box to your humi?
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    The cello is really a matter of choice, when I first started out years ago, I would always take the cello off, but then I began digging through inventory more and more and the wrappers would get damaged, so I started leaving it on, now I also place a date sticker on the cello to easily know when I got the stick.
    I do have recommendation though a 20 count humi is not big enough, place an order for a 300 count now and save yourself time in the future. Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave the cello on simply to protect the wrappers but I still keep my mild sticks separated by a devider from the med/full sticks. Don't know if the devider actually helps but that's what I do.
  • Options
    cubanphan:
    A related question on the topic... Can one buy these cellos for wrapping sticks that you're moving from a purchased box to your humi?
    ive never found it before.

if it comes without cellophane then i would put a bit more thought into how you fill the humidor. keep similar wrappers next to each other. but even then it isnt a huge deal. as i have said before, if they are next to each other most people wont know the difference, especially if it is only for a short amount of time (under a year)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Just one more vote for cello on.. In fact, I keep a supply of cello for cigars that I get without it. (Save them from cigars I have smoked ) I really hate damaged chipped wrappers.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I have all my good cigars non-celo on a display shelf and in their boxes so they age better. The rest of my cigars are in celo.
  • Options
    i was wondering the same question this thread answered my question also
  • Options
    TapeWormZ:
    i was wondering the same question this thread answered my question also
    you can always use the search function. this question comes up every month or so. i really wish more people would use that function. its amazing what other stuff will pop up and you can sink your brain into.