Home Cigar 101

PLEASE HELP

Hey fellas, I got my humidor and im using the crappy factory humidifier. First I dont know how to use it, and second, will the pillows be sufficient in keeping my cigars fresh if I dont use the humidifier device. This humidor stuff is the bain of my cigar smoking.

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Yes.. the pillows are fine, and will actually be better. Get some beads. Everybody else is doing it. And a digital hygrometer if you haven't yet gotten to that point.
  • Thanks alot. I'll get some beads n a hydrometer, i know these humidor questions get old so i appreciate the input.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It is true that the question itself gets old, but helping a BOTL in need is something we can all make time for. A recommendation for the beads: try for about three times what you need to cover the humidor and if you have the room place them in 2-3 locations, this will help for a more uniform humidity coverage and the amount will help the RH recover a bit quicker when you open the lid.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    This is one of the subjects I wish Alex would make a sticky post for.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    This is one of the subjects I wish Alex would make a sticky post for.
    Me too.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah.... setting up your new humidor....

the beads are the way to go.

oh yeah.... hyGrometer with a "G"
  • Much appreciated guys.
    kuzi16:
    Just remember, 'G' for gangster. Kuzi is Gangster.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Just remember, 'G' for gangster. Kuzi is Gangster.
    word
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    word up doggg
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    WEST side!!! lol.. Beads buddy! but I have to tell you, it gets frustrating. I know Kuzi is the expert and master at getting it perfect but I for one have a hell of a time getting them to stay about 66-68. right now I have two rectangles and a puck that are filled with beads, and all I get is about 70 to 71. it's a real pain. but I think it's still in a decent range. My house is generally cold, my hygro reads about 56 right now so that may be why my RH is 70.. eh.
  • Yea it really is a pain in the ass, I haven't gotten the hygrometer yet so I have no idea whats going on with the cigars, and I have some expensive sticks sitting in there. Its just a pain in the ass, I want one ran by a computer so its always perfect and I dont have to deal with the crap.
  • Josephkalish:
    Yea it really is a pain in the ass, I haven't gotten the hygrometer yet so I have no idea whats going on with the cigars, and I have some expensive sticks sitting in there. Its just a pain in the ass, I want one ran by a computer so its always perfect and I dont have to deal with the crap.
    they make those..Cigar Oasis.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    mustluvcigars:
    Josephkalish:
    Yea it really is a pain in the ass, I haven't gotten the hygrometer yet so I have no idea whats going on with the cigars, and I have some expensive sticks sitting in there. Its just a pain in the ass, I want one ran by a computer so its always perfect and I dont have to deal with the crap.
    Yup.
    urbino:
    mustluvcigars:
    Josephkalish:
    Yup.
    :) ... My work here is done.
  • Just looked at the Cigar Oasis and I love it, just ordered one. Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Josephkalish:

Just looked at the Cigar Oasis and I love it, just ordered one. Thanks a lot for the input guys!

You still need the digital hygrometer. NEVER, EVER, F'ing EVER trust the hygro built into the Oasis. Mine is set at 77% right now and is maintaining anout 69%
  • maek sure you use distilled water only

do not use any 50/50 solution