Home Cigar 101

Camacho Pre Embargo cigars

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
I bought the pre embargo 5 set with herf-a-dor and I was wondering when were these cigars rolled? I know the tobacco is from 1962 and the wrapper is 9 years aged, so I am assuming these were rolled recently. Anyone have any info on these? Anyone have any experiences to tell me as well?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Your guess is as good as mine, could be last year or last week for all any of us know. This cigar is a real treat, don't let the advertising fool you though, the cigar is not special due to its "pre-embargo filler", but rather the wrapper is what makes this cigar what it is.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Also note only 1 SINGLE strand of long filler is Pre Embargo in each of these cigars...
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    What kind is the rest of this filler then?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Post Embargo...Camacho is known for their outstanding wrappers, corojo
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously brother, do not smoke it for the filler, smoke it for the wrapper. Great smoke but smoke it slowly.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bandyt09.. I actually did "some" research trying to find more info on the filler, and came up empty,,seems like its under wraps..ohhh oahh,, Ill be here all week, try the fish.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Kid:
    Thanks Bandyt09.. I actually did "some" research trying to find more info on the filler, and came up empty,,seems like its under wraps..ohhh oahh,, Ill be here all week, try the fish.
    lol I see what you did there Rudy well played
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    honduran for the most part.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The Kid:
    In Airplane, they all get sick from eating the fish... I think I found out why :)
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ive noticed that a lot of Camacho stuff is kept from the public. Oh well more for us to find out.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have only smoked a couple of the pre embargos and my take is the wrapper is very good as all Camacho corojo tobacco is. Otherwise I didn't think it deserved the high price tag it carries. I guess with all the hype I was expecting more. Still a very good smoke though but not my favorite Camacho.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Ive noticed that a lot of Camacho stuff is kept from the public. Oh well more for us to find out.
    many if not all manufacturers keep many of the blends secret. with all that goes into each cigar, knowing where the wrapper binder and filler is grown is only the tip of the iceberg. dont think that just because you know that stuff they arent keeping secrets.

think of the Fuente family. the OpusX is a Dominican puro. we all know that. but what is the exact blend? what actual seeds do they use? what leaves of the plant are used? Ligero? Viso? how is it fermented? how long? how long is it aged? are all the fillers aged the same amount of time ? is there a process that isnt well known that they use?

im just sayin.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    scarlin:
    The Kid:
    Post Embargo.
    TA-DA-DUM!!!! The great KEITH STONE ladies and germs!!! LMAO!!!

This is a phenominal cigar, and one of the few I dont mind coming off big $$$ for. Also be well advised that the longer you age them, the better they get. Love em, Love em, LOOOOOVE EM!

kuzi16:
    think of the Fuente family. the OpusX is a Dominican puro. we all know that. but what is the exact blend? what actual seeds do they use? what leaves of the plant are used? Ligero? Viso? how is it fermented? how long? how long is it aged? are all the fillers aged the same amount of time ? is there a process that isnt well known that they use?
    When it comes to Fuente cigars, I chalk it up to ELFIN MAGIC! :-) Seriously though, the next bad experience I have with a stick that has Fuente on the band will be the FIRST bad experience Ive had with one, and they're the ONLY manufacturer I can say that about.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Unlike some varied brands of non cubans, cuban cigars always get better with time. I have yet to read an example of a cuban needing to be smoked within a certain time frame to be good.
    So this basically uses that one strand of cuban leaf as a promotion basically? Which means the wrapper and rest of the filler is phenomenal? Yum
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Seriously though, the next bad experience I have with a stick that has Fuente on the band will be the FIRST bad experience Ive had with one, and they're the ONLY manufacturer I can say that about.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I can make this same statement about AJ's stuff. Could just be me though.. :0)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:
    Seriously though, the next bad experience I have with a stick that has Fuente on the band will be the FIRST bad experience Ive had with one, and they're the ONLY manufacturer I can say that about.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I can make this same statement about AJ's stuff. Could just be me though.. :0)
    I've had pretty crappy construction and what not with a few of AJ's cigars unfortunately... Nica Libre immediately comes to mind as being horrrrrible inconsistent and often riddled with problems... That said, I've never had a San Lotano perform poorly.
  • MarmicoMarmico Posts: 93
    I personally love just about anything Fuente, but lately I've been noticing a lot of construction issues in their different blends, it's been rather saddening. Actually, the 3 of the last 5 Opus's that I've smoked haven't done too well on the construction front. I'm not sure what's going on, I had never had problems with them before.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I have only smoked a couple of the pre embargos and my take is the wrapper is very good as all Camacho corojo tobacco is. Otherwise I didn't think it deserved the high price tag it carries. I guess with all the hype I was expecting more. Still a very good smoke though but not my favorite Camacho.
    I hear ya. I Just picked one up for $8.00.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    docbp87:
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

I've had pretty crappy construction and what not with a few of AJ's cigars unfortunately... Nica Libre immediately comes to mind as being horrrrrible inconsistent and often riddled with problems... That said, I've never had a San Lotano perform poorly.
    +1 on the Nica Libre. San Lotano rules!
    I am assuming the P2000 is in the same boat as the Camacho then?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    scarlin:
    I am assuming the P2000 is in the same boat as the Camacho then?
    Depends what you mean. If you mean with regards to the amount of actual pre-embargo tobacco used (not enough to actually have any effect on flavor...), then yes. If you mean being a great cigar with a really special wrapper and great blend? No, the P2000 sucks.