Home General Discussion
Options

cigars from ISOM

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a source for these cigars. I have read numerous times in other forums from both people residing in USA and other countries that CC are so much better than NCs and they cost less. Then the argument is made that there is no point to buying NC since they are more expensive and inferior. I have never smoked a CC and have no idea how to even acquire one but with websites such as cigar.com and sprint sale I fail to see how obtaining CCs can be cheaper than NCs. Can anyone explain this to me?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    ISOMs being cheaper is basically a lie.

• Options
    szeligaszeliga Posts: 32
    Ok that makes me feel better. I won't lie its not like I haven't done a CC search online before but the prices I was seeing was nowhere near being cheaper than the aj fernandez stuff I have fallen in love with.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    szeliga:
    Ok that makes me feel better. I won't lie its not like I haven't done a CC search online before but the prices I was seeing was nowhere near being cheaper than the aj fernandez stuff I have fallen in love with.
    Depends on what ISOMs you are comparing to the AJs. Again, you will never be able to compare apples to apples on this but I have found CCs that you could put in the AJ "classification" for the same or less than AJs price per cigar. Quality ISOMs to be had for about $4.00 a stick. If you want a direct comparison, PM me.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    In other countries CC cigars are cheaper than NC cigars, for the most part. There are exceptions but the US is inverse from the rest of the world, tobacco tax not withstanding. Some countries get a HUGE import tax on NC cigars and cannot get them for less than 4x what we pay.

Example. A CC that an Australian can buy for $10 is very good and has a great chance of being better than your standard Gran Habano 2002. The same guy calls the US and tries to get a GH2002. With tax and shipping it might cost $10 for one cigar. That person would rather order the CC that almost certainly blows away the taste of a GH2002.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I live in Canada, and I can tell you that an ISOM cigar can sell for very close to the price of most any other quality cigar. Real example: My local B&M sells a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 for $28.00, but for $17.00 I can purchase an ISOM Romeo&Julietta, and for $32.00, I can get a Cohiba (ISOM).
    Now I know you U.S. folks are saying WTF????? are you serious? Yes, these are the prices up here...sucks.

The only cigar you can purchase here for under $6.00 a stick are machine made dog rockets....maybe a "Century Sam"....uggg.

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the Australian thing. their Cuban prices are way lower than those in Canada for example and are the same price or less than a lot of Non cuban sticks. for example. they sell PSD4's for less than $12 in Australia but how much would you pay for them in the Dominican or Canada. I guarantee a lot more. That's less than retail on an Opus X and cheaper than most any Opus you can find and the same price as a decent Tatuaje or DPG stick. just depends on where you are
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    PSD4 $7.36/stick or $184/box.....
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I can't believe a RP vintage 1990 is freakin 28 bucks in Canada! Thats insane.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. Just depends on what you buy, like the NCs, you can buy em at tons of price ranges, just like ISOM's.

I just ordered 3 ISOM boxes, which would have cost me the same as buying boxes of Liga Privadas..
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    What's funny is that ISOM prices in Aussie are actually often HIGHER than other legit sources... As for CC's being MORE expensive than NC, that is ALSO a lie. The Cuban cigar industry ranges from super cheap machine made and short filler sticks (just like the NC industry) up through super duper limited edition premium long filler hand mades (just like the NC industry). It's all about find a legitimate, trustworthy source, and knowing what is what. Knowledge is power!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Ouch!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    blurr:
    Ouch!
    And the worst part after you pay the $28? The cigar isn't even good.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    phobicsquirrel:
    blurr:
    Ouch!
    RP Vintage 90/92 was once some of my favorites, I had some recently and they just didn't give me that same experience, Did the blend(s) change or just my tastes?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Marker:
    phobicsquirrel:
    blurr:
    Ouch!
    RP Vintage 90/92 was once some of my favorites, I had some recently and they just didn't give me that same experience, Did the blend(s) change or just my tastes?
    Rocky changed them from what I hear. He didn't have any of the same blend tobacco left that they used to use in the 1990 so he just got something else he thought was similar. Unfortunately it was not nearly as aged as the previous batch so they smoke much younger than the previous 1990.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, PDS4 is $174. CC's are a bit more than non ISOM's. It all depends on what you want to smoke.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    kaspera79:
    Marker:
    phobicsquirrel:
    blurr:
    Ouch!
    Rocky changed them from what I hear. He didn't have any of the same blend tobacco left that they used to use in the 1990 so he just got something else he thought was similar. Unfortunately it was not nearly as aged as the previous batch so they smoke much younger than the previous 1990.
    I can def agree with this. The 90 today's is def not the 90 of a few years ago. I just smoked a 90 that I've had in my humi for a few years now. Cello was nice a golden, cigar was fantastic. It's sad to see what these have become. If you liked the 90 of the past, try the 15th. (before he chafes that one too)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I can def agree with this. The 90 today's is def not the 90 of a few years ago. I just smoked a 90 that I've had in my humi for a few years now. Cello was nice a golden, cigar was fantastic. It's sad to see what these have become. If you liked the 90 of the past, try the 15th. (before he chafes that one too)

I'll plead ignorance here. The 15th? What are you referring to? Which blend? I loved both the '90 and '92 before the change but I don't buy 'em now.

Thanks.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Sheeeeeit... During his lunch presentation yesterday, Rocky straight up said that he has taken an existing blend that is already on the market, box pressed it, and then sold the box pressed version as an entirely different line. Any last little ounce of credibility he had with me went right out the window on that one...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Sheeeeeit... During his lunch presentation yesterday, Rocky straight up said that he has taken an existing blend that is already on the market, box pressed it, and then sold the box pressed version as an entirely different line. Any last little ounce of credibility he had with me went right out the window on that one...
    Did he say which existing blend became the "New" blend ?
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Good. You were the last one holding on to any credibility with Rocky. Now he truly has zero.