Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Rights of America

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
H.R. 1639 / S.1461 - Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011
Cigar Rights of America has a good link for this. Let's do our part to protect our rights as adult cigar enthusiasts.

Comments

• Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I just got an email about this.....i've included a link that gives some details of this and what we can do (i believe it is the same one Rhamlin is speaking of), but I agree we need to speak up and support these bills to exempt regulations...mail orders could be banned (CCom would seize to exist), walk in humidors would be banned, sales of cigars would be limited to behind the counter sales (putting ur local B&Ms out), more taxes.......this is a big deal..

http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues/alert/?alertid=54019671

• Options
    Yep it's a whole lot of crap they are trying push forward.
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    submitted that form to my Mass house/senate....Ccom for life baby
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way ahead of you guys on this. Been helping fight the fight this year.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent!!! I don't care what industry it is, the gov't needs to stay out.

But That's especially scary! I hope this doesn't make it through
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    So I recieved a return message from Sen Jay Rockefeller sounds like he's for giving the FDA the vote they want.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I sent emails to both of my Senators and my congressman, My congressman and 1 Senator responded right away but told me they will not support the bills because cigars are dangerous and they want to remove the risk from citizens. This is absolute Bullsh!t!!!
    My other senator took 3 months to answer and it was a vague robo letter that didn't even reference the subject, of course that senator is Patty Murray labeled one of the dumbest Senators in the senate.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    If this goes thru I am going to give SERIOUS consideration to leaving the country.

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Sent. We all need to do this.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I can't stress how important CRA is. I have met and spoken with a lot of CRA folks over the last few days, and the work that they are doing is just downright fantastic, and as a cigar enthusiast, CRUCIAL. Join, and take action. As Glynn Loope and Brian Berman said at a presentation this morning, we are no longer cigar hobbyists or smokers, but cigar VOTERS.
  • Options
    I'm sure I got the same reply from Rockefeller... Just went on about how much tobacco use costs the state. BS. I made the choice to smoke, I will pay whatever it costs me.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    If the reason behind this is it causes cancer and is harmful then I would want alcohol to be gone as well. The effects of alcohol are immediate and arguably causes a lot more harm towards others (drunk driving, irrational decisions, etc.). I don't see that happening though.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I'm sure I got the same reply from Rockefeller... Just went on about how much tobacco use costs the state. BS. I made the choice to smoke, I will pay whatever it costs me.
    Not to mention how much the state MAKES on tobacco tax... Oh and the only way that tobacco use costs the state money is when Medicaid benefits are paid out to tobacco users to treat tobacco related illness... Which is another issue entirely.
  • Options
    Exactly! If money saving is the real issue here, then they can drop OASDHI!!
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Here is the reply I got from Senator Brown (R) Mass' Office

Dear Mr. Wilson, Thank you for contacting me regarding the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act (S. 1461). As always, I value your input and strive to keep you updated on the important issues facing our country today. As you may know, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced S. 1461 on August 1, 2011. This bill would amend the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act by exempting traditional large and premium cigars from regulations and user fees assessed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for purposes of regulating tobacco products. S. 1461 would exempt from regulation large and premium cigars wrapped solely in leaf tobacco, contains no filter, and weighs at least 6 pounds per 1,000 count. I understand your concerns for small business owners who fear strict regulations from the FDA. As a member of the Senate Committee on Small Business, I believe that small businesses are the engines that keep our economy running by spurring innovation and creating jobs, and we must continue to help them succeed. In this period of economic uncertainty, I believe that keeping taxes and regulatory burdens low is one of the most powerful ways to restore investment, job growth, and the financial stability of our economy. Currently, S. 1461 is under review by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. While I am not a member of this committee, should this legislation come before the full Senate for debate, I will review it with your concerns in mind. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov. Sincerely, Scott P. Brown United States Senator
  • Options
    Both Wyoming Senators John Barasso and Mike Enzi have responded to me with personal emails saying that they support the bill since it would save jobs. I have the full replies still saved if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    At least a couple positive responses. I wasn't to thrilled with the one I had sounded to me that he was against Evil tobacco.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Here's a crazy, kooky thought... WHY DONT THESE **** MAKE AN EFFORT TO STAMP OUT THE DRUG PROBLEM IN THIS NATION INSTEAD???

• Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Here's a crazy, kooky thought... WHY DONT THESE **** MAKE AN EFFORT TO STAMP OUT THE DRUG PROBLEM IN THIS NATION INSTEAD???

They can't tax it that is why they leave it alone.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Even crazier, those who are for this see this as being a part of doing exactly what you're proposing
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

Even crazier, those who are for this see this as being a part of doing exactly what you're proposing
    why dont we stop the war on drugs and treat chemical dependency for what it is: a disease.
    this would save billions every year and clear out cells in prison of minor nonviolent drug offenders. maybe those people will get the help they need instead of just throwing them in a room.
    throwing the town drunk in jail overnight wont lead him to sobriety. treating the addiction has a way better chance.
  • Options
    The Sniper:

Because they can't win a war against an undefined enemy. Just like a "War of Terror" is a little too vague...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

why dont we stop the war on drugs and treat chemical dependency for what it is: a disease.
    this would save billions every year and clear out cells in prison of minor nonviolent drug offenders. maybe those people will get the help they need instead of just throwing them in a room.
    throwing the town drunk in jail overnight wont lead him to sobriety. treating the addiction has a way better chance.
    wow, we agree! I knew there would be something someday. But you know why the drug war doesn't stop right? The money in it and in the oraganizations that go after them. Not to mention the money in the prison system. It's all about the money.
  • Options
    Sent the E-Mails, thanks to the info, got responses from both rep's assuring me that they (or someone) reads everything, we'll see. Tried to add in my opinion, re: Please preserve my right as an adult citizen of a free society to live as I choose, not sure that got added in like I wanted it to. Of course, it isn't a popular opinion.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Fairly positive responses from all the reps, 2 of 3 mention opposing the legislation that gave control to the FDA, as well as stating clearly that they believed premium hand-rolled cigars should not be categorized with mass-market tobacco products. Maybe this all belongs in the Daily Fight for Liberty thread?

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heard from john cornyn, sent this ; Thank you for your recent letter regarding Food and Drug Administration regulations. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important issue.

As you may know, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011 (S. 1461) was introduced in the Senate on August 1, 2011. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). S. 1461 was referred to the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee for further consideration. Though I am not a member of that committee, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind should S. 1461 or other relevant legislation be considered by the full Senate.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
  • Options
    Standard reply.
  • Options
    KCW:
    Here is the reply I got from Senator Brown (R) Mass' Office

Dear Mr. Wilson, Thank you for contacting me regarding the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act (S. 1461). As always, I value your input and strive to keep you updated on the important issues facing our country today. As you may know, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced S. 1461 on August 1, 2011. This bill would amend the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act by exempting traditional large and premium cigars from regulations and user fees assessed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for purposes of regulating tobacco products. S. 1461 would exempt from regulation large and premium cigars wrapped solely in leaf tobacco, contains no filter, and weighs at least 6 pounds per 1,000 count. I understand your concerns for small business owners who fear strict regulations from the FDA. As a member of the Senate Committee on Small Business, I believe that small businesses are the engines that keep our economy running by spurring innovation and creating jobs, and we must continue to help them succeed. In this period of economic uncertainty, I believe that keeping taxes and regulatory burdens low is one of the most powerful ways to restore investment, job growth, and the financial stability of our economy. Currently, S. 1461 is under review by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. While I am not a member of this committee, should this legislation come before the full Senate for debate, I will review it with your concerns in mind. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov. Sincerely, Scott P. Brown United States Senator
    I got the same form letter from my Missouri reps, but at least it looks like a positive response.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    For those with iPhones the CRA has a free app in the app store. Seems pretty neat.