Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor Help(not humidity)

So my first humidor is being brought to me by my new best friend...the UPS guy..
,but any way,, been using some humi-pouches they are both busting at the seems(and not that great at maintaining RH)
got a silton jar keeping my ready to smokes from the B&M handy..
just got home from wallyworld with a cooler, got that getting ready.
..by the end of the week ILl have over 165 cigars, Humi comes today its a 100ct with 30 churchills.... and a crystal jar.... so questions are.... what next??
I know it may take a couple of weeks before humi is ready...read up on all the humidity options as far as maintence and regulating...so i think ill get that figured out...
What about space, rotation, and layout? Dont see that discussed?
What cigars go in cooledor? besides all till humi is up?
Saw something the B&M like a cedar grate for bottom of humi..is this benficial?
what is min amount to keep in humi? does this apply to cooledor as well?
and what do i this summer when I am broke and cant keep the temp in my apartment down?
When do i open factory bundles(are they breathing in their like the the cello) or boxes?
Keep them in box in humi or just the smokes?

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    OK. First of must use the html break command(Less than sign BR Greater than sign) to format your posts.

Second I'll start with the coolerdor. I'll give you a breakdown of what I did to prepare my coolerdor etc. First off if you are going to have a coolerdor you need to buy a Cigar Oasis. I'd also look up beads, www.heartfeltindustries.com.
    Next get a jug of distilled water and thoroughly wipe down the inside of the coolerdor with straight distilled water. Then dry it out well. I then stuffed the cooler full of crumpled up newspapers and closed the lid and let it set for 24 hours. Kuzi enlightened me to this trick, the newspaper absorbs any odors, that "new coolor" scent will be gone.
    I then broke up a cigar box made of spanish cedar(I used a RP Edge box) and used 3M double sided tap and stuck the box pices to the floor and wall of the cooler. THis isn't necessary but I would recommend it.
    Finally season it just like you would any other humidor.

On to some of your other questions.
    In regards to min amount to keep in humi. If you are using a Cigar Oasis it doesn't matter but if you are using anything else your humidor should be around 2/3's full.
    I'd recommend you get beads for your 100 ct humi and the Cigar Oasis and beads in your coolerdor. Remember with the beads to use 2 or 3 times what the site says you should.
    Rotation, I do it quaterly, every 3 months or so.
    Stacking, organization, etc is really personal preference.
    You need to keep the temp below 75 degrees in the summer try putting it in a closet or something.

That should get you started.
  • Options
    Post edited, hope that is better, thanks moddy
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    mustluvcigars:
    Post edited, hope that is better, thanks moddy
    LOL.. I like it
  • Options
    mustluvcigars:
    thanks moddy
    OOPs..typo...got a Candian keybaord the o's are next to a's..lol
    Just funnin
    its a great trick he taught, and that is why i am here to learn whether it be html or cigars, serious;y hopes the post looks better.. I know every one has their own preference, pratices and opions,, and that is why I like coming here I welcome and appreciate all the feedback, do my best to dissemate it and but it to good use, I would rather learn form yalls expeirence than my naive mishandling of these all this great sticks.. sincerley Thank you Maddy, with an O
  • Options
    No problem. If know one tells you about the html break command, how would you know?

Did I answer the rest of your questions? Feel free to ask away,thats why everyone is here, to learn and to pass on our expeirences. No one on here is an expert, some of us just have a little more experience than others.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the grate/tray at the bottom of the humi can help, but not so much that i have one.

personally i feel that they take up space...
    its like a TV on a honeymoon: unnecessary

everyone rotates differently. i have two "rotations"
    1) when i get a good shipment of cigars in i pull all my smokes out and put the new ones on the bottom (except for maybe one of each type) and the rest back on top. this keeps me with mostly rested and ready to go sticks on top.
    and
    b) i rotate the way each cigar faces (the front of the band being the face) if im not mistaken, they are all facing right at the moment.

i dont know if it helps but it makes me feel good.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    the grate/tray at the bottom of the humi can help, but not so much that i have one.

1) when i get a good shipment of cigars in i pull all my smokes out and put the new ones on the bottom (except for maybe one of each type) and the rest back on top. this keeps me with mostly rested and ready to go sticks on top.
    and
    b) i rotate the way each cigar faces (the front of the band being the face) if im not mistaken, they are all facing right at the moment.

Holy crap I thought duty was **** retentive.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

madurofan:
    kuzi16:

and

all your soup cans in your pantry are pointed straight ahead and in date bought or alphabetical order arn't they?

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    gmill880:

madurofan:
    kuzi16:

and

all your soup cans in your pantry are pointed straight ahead and in date bought or alphabetical order arn't they?

Kuzi is a cook...he doesn't buy canned soup...he buys choice ingredients and makes soup from them...duh.

I've read, not that that makes it true, that rotating cigars really doesn't do anything for them in terms of aging or balancing. But hey, if it makes you feel good, do it...and you can tell from that statement that I do not represent the Catholic church, I believe their slogan is "If it makes you feel good, it's probably a sin."
  • Options
    As far a rotation I was thinking as rotation from cooli to humi to jari,How long in each or max time in each, guessing till eternity in the real humi. but would I want to rotate from one to the other?
    and in humi I was thinking of rotation is in as much as moving them around in the humi, but now rotating them on their axis too,, boy am i going to love this hobby, imagine the possibilities. AR-OCD and beyond
    Looks like i found the right club to join
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:

madurofan:
    kuzi16:

and

Kuzi is a cook...he doesn't buy canned soup...he buys choice ingredients and makes soup from them...duh.

I've read, not that that makes it true, that rotating cigars really doesn't do anything for them in terms of aging or balancing. But hey, if it makes you feel good, do it...and you can tell from that statement that I do not represent the Catholic church, I believe their slogan is "If it makes you feel good, it's probably a sin."
    yeah, i cant prove that it does anything, but here is my thought process:

if one side is always facing up, that is the side that will always have direct access to the humidity in the air. when you rotate them, different sides will get equal exposure to the humidity source. this may lead to an even burn.
    I cant prove that is true. I have zero facts to back that up but like i said before, it makes me feel good, so i do it.

...it doesnt hurt it at least.

Ill put it this way:
    I dont have many serious burn issues when i pull a stick out of MY humidor. Is it because of my rotation? Iduno. I like to think so.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:

madurofan:
    kuzi16:

and

yeah, i cant prove that it does anything, but here is my thought process:

if one side is always facing up, that is the side that will always have direct access to the humidity in the air. when you rotate them, different sides will get equal exposure to the humidity source. this may lead to an even burn.
    I cant prove that is true. I have zero facts to back that up but like i said before, it makes me feel good, so i do it.

...it doesnt hurt it at least.

Ill put it this way:
    I dont have many serious burn issues when i pull a stick out of MY humidor. Is it because of my rotation? Iduno. I like to think so.
    makes sense to me, your not going throw a hot dog down on a grill, come back at the allotted time and call it done