Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Basement leak help

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Raining hard tonight and when I checked on the humidors I noticed the drywall was wet. Basement is partially finished.There is a hairline crack all the way through the cement foundation from the inside to the outside. Most of the are is above ground and I can visually see it outside. Of course the crack is right where the partially finished wall meets the foundation. Anyone have experience with fixing this? The crack is very tiny so I do not see how I could inject it. Digging outside really wouldn't take too much since maybe 2 feet at the most is underground. Maybe it would just be easier and cheaper to hire someone?

I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Yo bra I have your answer. This is very common with new construction homes. So what they do is do a resin/polymer injection. They pretty much kill the problem, come with warranties, and are not particularly expensive. Just do a search online for a contractor in your area. 100% chance the builders in your area have someone they use regularly.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont have advice for it beyond decide and fix it fast. basements dont get better, only worse.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Btw, there is no rush...it's not going to collapse or something overnight. Also don't worry about the crack being too small to inject. A good contractor familiar with this will have the solution.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks. It is seeping and not pooling but I want to fix it quickly. We are getting ready to finish the basement so I am glad we found this now. Still sucks but hey it could of been worse!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    If its not under warranty you can go to a supply store and get plug crete. Tell them you need the kind that seals up cracks or leaks in a pool. I used that on mine when I finished my basement and found a leak where a pipe went through the foundation. It can be put on in water so it will adhere to that as well. Cost me around $10 to fix and it was quick. It has been 5 years and I haven't had a leak and we had insane rain a couple of years ago. The other responses work as well but when I looked into it, it was going to be $500 or so.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    You can do this yourself. Since different areas sell different products I recommend finding a store within driving distance that deals in concrete products like CMUs, pavers, mortar mix, etc. NOT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES. A real, old-fashion specialty store, every decent populated area has one. Go in and tell them your problem and ask for help, it's like calling Ccom on the phone, they'll hook you up. Chances are they sell something very thick that you can paint on the concrete that will adhere well and keep the water out. Good luck!
  • Options
    Might try this. It is so tiny I just don't know how I would fill it. I do have someone coming to look at it Monday just for a free estimate. See what he says and I will find a store to call. Stay tuned. I might post a few pics.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    if none of this works let me know and I will send you some of the stuffing from where my wife works, that sh*t could plug anything for years.