Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone fish for Muskie?

whats goin on guys, im making a trip to cave run lake this weekend to fish for muskie for the first time ever. im pretty pumped about it. was wondering if anyone whos ever fished for muskie could offer up a few tips and tricks to being successful at it. thanks

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch your fingers.
  • Options
    Find the flats with tall grasses. Fish the edges of the grass line. If they get to the boat and don't get your lure in time, don't worry! Fish a figure 8 along side the boat..... (make a figure 8 in the water with your fishing pole just out of the water) and he should nail it! Good luck my friend!
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I fish for Muskie and have a good friend that's obsessed ....... I strongly recommend doing what howtobass advised .... The shallow weeds on a sunny day or before rain are great feeding areas and have had muskies hit literally two feet from the boat......... A good thing my good friend told me is that big fish hit big lures. The biggest lure I used to have in my tackle box was like a six or seven inch rapala husky jerk ...... Now I have butcher tails that are ten and twelve inchers that rock in the weeds ....... Big lures 13-16 inch are great and we fish lake Erie and the niagara river and the best lure color is perch or bass but it's always best to throw some other colors .... The all black and all white or rainbow butcher tails have always worked great for me ..... If you get a few lures that run 8-15 feet troll through water that 20 - 30 ft deep channels that are near deeper water ..... Good luck brother.
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    I fish for Muskie and have a good friend that's obsessed ....... I strongly recommend doing what howtobass advised .... The shallow weeds on a sunny day or before rain are great feeding areas and have had muskies hit literally two feet from the boat......... A good thing my good friend told me is that big fish hit big lures. The biggest lure I used to have in my tackle box was like a six or seven inch rapala husky jerk ...... Now I have butcher tails that are ten and twelve inchers that rock in the weeds ....... Big lures 13-16 inch are great and we fish lake Erie and the niagara river and the best lure color is perch or bass but it's always best to throw some other colors .... The all black and all white or rainbow butcher tails have always worked great for me ..... If you get a few lures that run 8-15 feet troll through water that 20 - 30 ft deep channels that are near deeper water ..... Good luck brother.
    +1. I also strongly recommend what kingjk said. LOL
  • Options
    thanks alot guys! i appreciate it! heading down tonight, be out early in the morning. cant wait!
  • Options
    Good luck, and take pictures! I get to do some fishing myself soon!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Never had a muskie. Are they good eating?
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Not really. Kinda like Pike. My brother and dad are crazy for Muskie hunting and just catch and release.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    beatnic:
    Not really. Kinda like Pike. My brother and dad are crazy for Muskie hunting and just catch and release.

That's what my buddy and I do is catch and release ..... Of course we snap a few pics and off they go .... We also use heavy gear so the fish doesn't get exhausted and die ..... 80 pound braided line and ultra stiff rods...... Works like a charm.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Catch and release? Not down here. We'd have that puppy in a stew or gumbo by now. LOL