Home Cigar 101
Options

collector tins

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
I've got the Man O' War sampler (5 Original, 5 Ruination) in the beautiful limited edition tin box in my coolerdor and I'm wondering if anyone thinks having those cigars in a tin box for a few years or more would impart a negative flavor or damage the cigars in any way? I check them periodically but I'm not going to fire them for quite a while.

Comments

• Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    In or out of a humidor? Inside shouldn't really matter cuz tin doesn't seem to hold or give off a strong smell.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Id say just take em out. The problem with the metal is it may rust after being around the humidity for awhile. Just a suggestion.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I bought two tins of the Opus X Robustos ( three in the tin ) a few years ago. Opened one right away and sent them out in contests and bombs, And still have one wrapped up.. Until today I had not thought about them.. I guesss they are okay. I'll leave them in the tin.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    They're in my cooler so the tin and cigars are all in the same humi conditions as the other cigars. I take it out and look at it every so often and no rust on the box. If it ever gets rusty I'll definitely take them out immediately but so far it looks good. I'd just be SO BUMMED if they tasted metallic 3-5 years from now!!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have four opus tins from I think 2006 which I have left in my humi, and I went through and checked them yesterday and they are all fine. I am debating on pulling them out though and pulling the cedar out.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I personally wouldn't leave them in. No real reason other than metal can rust but it sounds like everybody else has had good experiences with leaving them in the tin's.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I personally wouldn't leave them in. No real reason other than metal can rust but it sounds like everybody else has had good experiences with leaving them in the tin's.
    +1...seams to be a personal preference....I think it would be a good visual, or conversation piece in a glass humi, but for long term storage gut tells me to take them out...
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Never thought about it until now. Zeebra smacked me with a MOW tin sampler when I got home. And I have it in the cabinet. Now I'm wondering, I may just take them out anyway. Don't know if this slows the aging process or the possibility of rust. Don't want to take the chance of either.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well I took them out last night. One thing I noticed was they must slow the aging process. I've had them in there for going on 5 years and there was very little if not any plume. Now I have other opus's from the same time period (bought them a couple weeks apart) and they are very plumed. I had them right next to each other (well tins next to the cello opus's). Also the wrappers on the non-tin opus's were getting yellow.