Home General Discussion
Options

This weeks one day deal...

Hey, is anybody else as confused with this weeks one day deal?
When I saw the page saying it was up to 80% off for a bundle of 20 I thought yes!
When I went to the regular page to determine the sizes of the sticks offered, I see the regular price is %59.95 for the Toro's which is what I decided on.
So how is $20 from $59.95 down to $39.95 equal 80% ??
Maybe Alex or someone could come onto the forums and straighten this out. I will still likely be ordering these but they are stating they are worth $200 per bundle when they sell them for $59.95 a bundle ???

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    My guess is that they are saying MSRP is $200 and they normally knock it down. It's marketing man. Create the allusion that something is more than you can sell it for less but closer to what you would normally sell it for anyways.

Take a look at Circuit city. They are saying that products are this percentage off. They raised the prices of their product and then knocked off a percentage from the raised price and it looks like you are getting a deal but in reality you are paying a little less or the same as it was priced before.
  • Options
    ron82ron82 Posts: 2
    The 80% off refers to the "suggested retail" price of $200.  I agree that it is somewhat misleading, since no one is selling those cigars at that price.  Still, 20 bucks off is nothing to scoff at.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hey lake I just popped my head over to the deal. It says 80% off of suggested MSRP misleading but probably true.
  • Options
    ron82:
    The 80% off refers to the "suggested retail" price of $200.  I agree that it is somewhat misleading, since no one is selling those cigars at that price.  Still, 20 bucks off is nothing to scoff at.
    Jinx.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    rwheelwright:
    My guess is that they are saying MSRP is $200 and they normally knock it down. It's marketing man. Create the allusion that something is more than you can sell it for less but closer to what you would normally sell it for anyways.
    One could almost build an entire brand this way... maybe give it some fancy-looking logos and bands, and a cool name loaded with mystique.. like "Gurkha" or something. The really cool part is that you can then ship sticks to B&M's and charge people close to MSRP for the cigars, and laugh all the way to the bank every time you do.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Well I don't know guys. Yes I understand marketing. I have also seen a little "license" being taken when advertizing the one day specials here. However this is the farthest I have ever seen it taken.

If what you guys are saying is true then that's too bad. Sort of reminds me of these commercials where everything is $19.95 or $29.95. As soon as something like that comes on the TV I just zone out as I know it will just be another piece of $19.99 or $29.99 $hit !
    That's what this kind of advertizing does. I hope it isn't going to be a trend here, I have purchased several one day specials in the past. I would hate to have to start to ignore them like those annoying commercials. :(
  • Options
    dutyje:
    rwheelwright:
    One could almost build an entire brand this way... maybe give it some fancy-looking logos and bands, and a cool name loaded with mystique.. like "Gurkha" or something. The really cool part is that you can then ship sticks to B&M's and charge people close to MSRP for the cigars, and laugh all the way to the bank every time you do.
    You know whats even more sad. Most B&Ms refuse to carry Gurkhas bc of how cheap they can be had online. I've been told by two different retailers that they can't even buy them from Gurkha at the price that they are sold for regularly online. Let alone the blowout deals that are offered by them.
  • Options
    so are you saying it's $19.95 or $19.99? $29.95 or $29.99? I'm confused ;)

Is that Canadian or American dollars?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    rwheelwright:
    You know whats even more sad. Most B&Ms refuse to carry Gurkhas bc of how cheap they can be had online. I've been told by two different retailers that they can't even buy them from Gurkha at the price that they are sold for regularly online. Let alone the blowout deals that are offered by them.
    You need to stock a metric crapton of Gurkhas in order to get them that cheap. My local shop stocks loads of Gurkhas, and pushes them pretty heavily. The normal crowd at that shop has the coin to regularly drop on a box of MSRP Gurkhas and never think twice.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    rwheelwright:
    The "BIG" local B&M that is also an online competitor started carrying Gurkhas about two years ago but only the regents. They have recently started carrying others like the Gran Reserve (Non Congac versions), Marquezas, G3s and a few other ones. The other B&M that is much smaller told me that he doesn't carry Gurkha. When I asked why, he said that the Gurkha salesman came around to a bunch of local places really talking up the cigars but when it was time to place an order all the online places got them and wouldn't or couldn't sell to the local B&Ms. That is at least what happened in northern Jersey.
  • Options
    dutyje:

OH SHUT THE HELL UP DUTY!!!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Hey lake I just popped my head over to the deal. It says 80% off of suggested MSRP misleading but probably true.

If this was correct then that would mean C.Com is normally selling these sticks at almost 75% off the MSRP. I would think that they would advertize this fact as much as possible. Also if you were selling them at almost 70% off the MSRP regularly what would intice you to sell them off 80% as a one day deal?
    It would make more sense to repeatedly tell the guys here that these sticks can be had for almost 70% off the MSRP everyday. At least to me it does.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    dutyje:

LMAO! Sorry, eh?
  • Options
    dutyje:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:

LMAO! Sorry, eh?

I was actually talking in Canadian Tire money. Which sometimes can be exchanged for more then the Canadian $$. :)
  • Options
    laker1963:
    madurofan:

If this was correct then that would mean C.Com is normally selling these sticks at almost 75% off the MSRP. I would think that they would advertize this fact as much as possible. Also if you were selling them at almost 70% off the MSRP regularly what would intice you to sell them off 80% as a one day deal.
    It would make more sense to repeadtedly tell the guys here that these sticks can be had for almost 70% off the MSRP everyday. At least to me it does.
    Now look at the other end. Anejos, OpusX, etc... are marked up a lot. Sometimes over 100%. I guess if you are saying that something is less than MSRP you will have to state that something is more than MSRP. Is it better to say nothing at all? $30 - $40 for Opus X when I got a few at the store for $15 - $20.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    dutyje:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:

LMAO! Sorry, eh?

I was actually talking in Canadian Tire money. Which sometimes can be exchanged for more then the Canadian $$. :)
    I've heard of this Canadian Tire... but I have never been to one.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    laker1963:
    madurofan:

If this was correct then that would mean C.Com is normally selling these sticks at almost 75% off the MSRP. I would think that they would advertize this fact as much as possible. Also if you were selling them at almost 70% off the MSRP regularly what would intice you to sell them off 80% as a one day deal.
    It would make more sense to repeadtedly tell the guys here that these sticks can be had for almost 70% off the MSRP everyday. At least to me it does.
    Now look at the other end. Anejos, OpusX, etc... are marked up a lot. Sometimes over 100%. I guess if you are saying that something is less than MSRP you will have to state that something is more than MSRP. Is it better to say nothing at all? $30 - $40 for Opus X when I got a few at the store for $15 - $20.

Well I suppose.
    I know that if I were offering any stick at 75% off MSRP as an everyday price I would be letting EVERYBODY know about it. It is still a good deal, just seems like it was cheapened a little because of the numbers, you know?
  • Options
    dutyje:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:

LMAO! Sorry, eh?

I've heard of this Canadian Tire... but I have never been to one.

OHHHH Duty.... picture a HUGE store filled with car parts, sports equipment, camping stocks, you name it. If it has anything to do with outdoors, cars or just things that make a guy happy you will find it a Canadian Tire.
    They send out weekly flyers which in my house is referred to as "my bible".
    I mean you can get a "woody" just walking thru the doors, and seeing all that stuff. FanFreakinTastic !!!!
  • Options
    laker1963:
    It is still a good deal, just seems like it was cheapened a little because of the numbers, you know?
    I agree and this is the kind of stuff that IMO always distinguished Ccom from all the other online Deal of the Century kind of places. They are classy and don't try to mislead. This was a little misleading and was very un-Ccom like.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    OHHHH Duty
    Did anyone else picture laker as Jessica Rabbit when reading this? Ohh Roger ...

Nobody? Oh well ...

Be careful duty he may be trying to woo you and batting his eyes while saying this.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    OHHHH Duty
    Did anyone else picture laker as Jessica Rabbit when reading this? Ohh Roger ...

Nobody? Oh well ...

Be careful duty he may be trying to woo you and batting his eyes while saying this.

So OK, now it's your turn... SHUT THE ^UCK UP MADDY. LMAAAO
  • Options
    Like duty said, sorry, eh?
  • Options
    Now, to the point I if I didn't already have a *** load already and no place to put them I would probably get the deal anyways. Also, I am overspent on my cigar budget for the month.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    madurofan:
    Is that another Canadian jab.... eh?
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    madurofan:
    Is that another Canadian jab.... eh?
    Never.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    rwheelwright:
    Now, to the point I if I didn't already have a *** load already and no place to put them I would probably get the deal anyways. Also, I am overspent on my cigar budget for the month.
    I think I've over spent my cigar budget for the next 3 months...last month!!
    Oh man...my wife hides her anger well!
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    cheyman:
    rwheelwright:
    lucky bastaard...I'm married to redhead...I've been on buying restriction for months.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    cheyman:
    rwheelwright:
    lucky bastaard...I'm married to redhead...I've been on buying restriction for months.
    Don't expect us to feel bad for you, you did it to yourself. I know they're hard to resist but you could have said no.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    cheyman:
    rwheelwright:
    Redhead? I'm soooooo jealous! Nothing more to say!