Home Cigar 101
Options

Misting cigars?

jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
OK the 5 rocky Patel royal vintage cigars I got from CI were dry. I've had one, a friend had one, both agree, DRY. So I got 3 left and they r useless like this. I misted them last night lightly and today they seem a little better but still dry so I misted them again. I've read about if they get too moist too fast they will swell and bust. Instead of waiting no telling how long for them to re-hydrate, I decided to lightly mist. If they r destroyed oh well they r not smokable right now. Still not a fast fix but it was the only thing I could figure out to try to save them. I mist with distilled water. Not wet, just lightly misted with a fine mist. Also want to be slow as to not cause mold...... Anyone else do this or have a better method?

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jkallen83:
    OK the 5 rocky Patel royal vintage cigars I got from CI were dry. I've had one, a friend had one, both agree, DRY. So I got 3 left and they r useless like this. I misted them last night lightly and today they seem a little better but still dry so I misted them again. I've read about if they get too moist too fast they will swell and bust. Instead of waiting no telling how long for them to re-hydrate, I decided to lightly mist. If they r destroyed oh well they r not smokable right now. Still not a fast fix but it was the only thing I could figure out to try to save them. I mist with distilled water. Not wet, just lightly misted with a fine mist. Also want to be slow as to not cause mold...... Anyone else do this or have a better method?
    The preferred method would be to place them in a seasoned humidor, If you dont have one, your options are limited, maybe getting a humicare pillow and plcing them in a ziplok baggy, or damping a paper towel,, yes this take some time but a sudden change is not good, also it would alow the whole cigar to regain moisture not just the wrapper
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    You could set them on the bathroom counter while you take a steamy shower.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me. I forgot I saved the humi-packs from previous cigar.com sampler order. Also saved the ziplock bag. They came from CI in a cardboard box with no ziplock bag or humi-pack so my thought is the dry box during 4-5 days shipping sucked them dry. Room the cello off and put them in bag with the humi- pillow now.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you mist your cigars and then put them in a humidor youll run the risk of starting another fermentation. get a humidor. if you plan on smoking cigars and holding them for more than a week or two at a time you will need one.
    misting cigars wont bring them back. it will get the wrapper wet.
  • Options
    jkallen83:
    Thanks for reminding me. I forgot I saved the humi-packs from previous cigar.com sampler order. Also saved the ziplock bag. They came from CI in a cardboard box with no ziplock bag or humi-pack so my thought is the dry box during 4-5 days shipping sucked them dry. Room the cello off and put them in bag with the humi- pillow now.

Wait, what?? I'd be on the horn with CI in about .02 seconds asking for a re-ship. I understand no humi-pillow (actually prefer it that way most of they time)....but no Ziplock bag.....thats a mistake and you're the one left holding the **** end product.
  • Options
    I got a 20 count humidor that is working great for the few other cigars I have. Trying to fill it and got these but these r dry. Looking to get a bigger humidor tho as I see collecting is gonna easily fill a 20 count lol. The ziplock bag with water pillow was a great idea. So for now I have then separate so they can suck all the moisture they want so they can be put back in the humidor hopefully. ..all I can say is, STILL LEARNING.
  • Options
    AJGARLETT:
    jkallen83:

Wait, what?? I'd be on the horn with CI in about .02 seconds asking for a re-ship. I understand no humi-pillow (actually prefer it that way most of they time)....but no Ziplock bag.....thats a mistake and you're the one left holding the **** end product.
    No it was not in a ziplock bag when it arrived. So I was thinking maybe the dry cardboard box sucked them dry. Don't know just trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jkallen83:
    AJGARLETT:
    jkallen83:

No it was not in a ziplock bag when it arrived. So I was thinking maybe the dry cardboard box sucked them dry. Don't know just trying to figure it out.
    Its ben a long time since I ordered from CI, but if they were bundle wrapped in cello (5 pack) they may not have put them in a baggie, I cant remember what they do, but if they were unsmokeable Id be returning them regardless of how they came.
  • Options
    this makes me love Cigar.com even more. i am new to cigars and only made 2 orders from cigar.com and the ones from CI. both from Cigar.com came in ziplock bag and humi-pack and if anything were maybe a little too moist, couple days in the humidor and they are great, seem to get better the longer they are in there. but the one and only order from CI arrived without even the ziplock bag and are DRY. i mean even getting ONE cigar from a local shop to smoke right away they bag it before i can leave with it. all i can say so far is "THANK YOU CIGAR.COM"
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the taste of the royal vintage when you get one just perfect but seems to me more often or not they have problems like cracking or coming apart, i have one i think ill dig out and fire up and save this af anejo for tomorrow
  • Options
    well my rp royal vintage torp. was right on, ash was a bit flaky but holds on , sweet taste, creamy and a bit chewy and im still working on it, maybe you outta return those, imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    i think they might be ok after getting re-hydrated...just the dry taste was too much....
  • Options
    also this cigar produces lots of thick smoke
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    starting another fermentation
    Yeah, don't ever apply water directly to a cigar.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    I'm decidedly with the expert opinions above, don't mist it, ever, and think of your 20 ct humidor as your extra, or holding area, or something. Christmas is coming, sounds like your list should begin with a 100ct humidor.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    I'm decidedly with the expert opinions above, don't mist it, ever, and think of your 20 ct humidor as your extra, or holding area, or something. Christmas is coming, sounds like your list should begin with a 100ct humidor.
    I'd skip the 100ct and go with a coolidor. LOL. I already know that's going to be my next project. I have a feeling the 100 ct humi I have now is just going to be for things getting ready to be smoked. I'm also going to get a small 20-40 ct. humi for infused. Can't wait!