Home Cigar 101
Options

What am I doing wrong?????

I have three very good humidors, yet I still have sticks that are in my opinion still drying out HELP>>

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    What are you using for humidification? DO you have a digital hygrometer in them? What is it reading at?
  • Options
    frazhfrazh Posts: 6
    humidification 69, yes digital in all three. Thank you for responding.
  • Options
    humidifcation 69? What does that mean? Its at 69%?

I meant what kind of humidification are you using? Just the sponge that the humis came with?

Did you calibrate the hygros?
  • Options
    frazh:

I have three very good humidors, yet I still have sticks that are in my opinion still drying out HELP>>

This is what I would do Take out all the ones that feel that are dry and put them in their own humi. Crank up the RH% just a little at a time and see what you get. Make a note on what brand shape etc.. these are. I have some cigars that are rolled a lot tighter than others they say they are hand rolled but they feel really tight like a machine has rolled them. They also feel like they are dry because they are tightly rolled. After you experiment with these and if you by more of them you will know what to do. What Cigars are they and when did you buy them ?Some other people might be able to give more insight on this.
  • Options
    frazh:

I just noticed you just joined the forum... please don't take wrong, but Did you just buy the Humidors? And did you season the the humi before you put in the cigars? Where do you have your humi sitting under a vent or in front a window? this will help us determine what might be wrong.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah.... more info would help. are you using the green foam things? PG 50-50? Beads? how did you season? where in the house is it located? why do you think they are dry if the RH reads 69%?
  • Options
    yes i calibrated the hydros. boveda 69s along with sponges
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    yeah.... more info would help. are you using the green foam things? PG 50-50? Beads? how did you season? where in the house is it located? why do you think they are dry if the RH reads 69%?
    69 % is a good number if it is accurate. The cigars don't have to feel spongy in order to indicate proper humidity. How do they burn, do they taste harsh or hot, does the cigar stay well constructed when you are smoking it question, questions.....
  • Options
    first purchase 8-9 months ago the rest followed. the first was my prometheus was seasoned the others are cao used the wipe down method. out of sun not by air or heat living in FL you have to pay attention
  • Options
    i use 50/50 in the prometheus humi never tried beads. living room away from heat light and air. My reasoning for thinking they are dry just recieved 2 stradivarius's today they were soft to touch as all of my sticks have come in the past. most of what i have bought i purchased to age and save. but they don't feel like what i got today
  • Options
    i buy mainly from cigar.com cigar auctioneers and jr. my sticks are, alot of pardrons, then ashtons, peppin, patel. cao, and others. One question? The arrow head. Is Gates one of the best or not?
  • Options
    Did you calibrate your digital hygrometer?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    69 % is a good number if it is accurate. The cigars don't have to feel spongy in order to indicate proper humidity. How do they burn, do they taste harsh or hot, does the cigar stay well constructed when you are smoking it question, questions.....
    69 is a good RH, and I wish I knew this info when I started kas, though now it's second nature. I hate getting cigars that are mushy.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    frazh:
    i use 50/50 in the prometheus humi never tried beads. living room away from heat light and air. My reasoning for thinking they are dry just recieved 2 stradivarius's today they were soft to touch as all of my sticks have come in the past. most of what i have bought i purchased to age and save. but they don't feel like what i got today
    I wondering why you think your cigars are dry? are they not soft? Like Kas stated, if they aren't soft doesn't mean they are dry. Though some say below 70 is too dry for them. I personally like my cigars below 70.. Have you smoked the cigars and noticed any burn issues or cracking?