Home Cigar 101
Options

charging humidity beads

HELP guys, how long do i need to soak my humidity beads before putting them in my humidor. Im having a terrible time getting my humidity up.

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    When they're clear, they're full. It usually only takes a few seconds.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    d_nowell:
    HELP guys, how long do i need to soak my humidity beads before putting them in my humidor. Im having a terrible time getting my humidity up.
    THey charge really quickly.. By the way Eight days till Pitchers and Catchers report.. 101 years ?
  • Options
    Yeah Kasper lets hope this is the year.... Is it alright to just set a small dish with distilled water in with your cigars
  • Options
    d_nowell:
    .. Is it alright to just set a small dish with distilled water in with your cigars
    I've done it before, but always worried about spilling it. If you must, for a short time, use a sponge or folded paper towel..Really though, do it right and get some beads.
  • Options
    Ive got 7 ounces of beads in it I just cant get my humidity above like 60% I understand its winter but my goodness. I fill my beads completely full. on heartfelt it only reccomends 2 ounces and I have 7 I dont understand
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Are you sure their charged?
  • Options
    Im dipping them in distilled water and leaving them in the water for like 5-10 seconds. I have a 2 ounce tube a 1 ounce tube and a 4 ounce tube.
  • Options
    Do you keep your house at a very low temperature, does your humidor have a good seal, do the beads need to be recharged every other day.

I'd try this.. take several (20 plus cigars) and place them in a large ziplock bag along with the tube of bead and the hygrometer. this way you can check on the level without dumping the humidity level every hour. If the level continues to rise while in the bag, you may have a seal problem in your humidor. Move the bag to warmer places in you house and see how that affects it. You can run tests and not have to start over every time you check humidity. Hope you figure this one out before opening day.
  • Options
    Thanks man that is some great advice I havnt thought about that. It has to be something I got my humidor from humidor vault has anyone else had any trouble from there. It makes a good woosh sound when it shuts. but I will give that a try, I have to get my smokes right before the season rolls in Its hard to celebrate a Cubs victory with a dry Cigar
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I just charged my beads and my humi is about 72 or so.. I have 65% beads it's a jumpy thing. However mr kuzi seems to have it dialed.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I didn't see this mentioned so I figure that I will ask.....Have you calibrated your hyrgometer? Are you using only distilled water?

If you don't use distilled water, the impurities in tap water could clog the beads and not allow them to perform properly. Just a thought.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I use a spray bottle to charge my beads.
  • Options
    Yes I have run a test on my hygrometer, it was 1 percent low so I just add 1 percent to it. Yes I am using distilled water. Thanks for the suggestions though I am taking it all in. I did set a shot glass of distilled water in it last night and it has been on 66% all day today so....
  • Options
    spray bottle, that's an idea. I just fill the cap of the distilled gallon and pour. Though I just got a box of cigars and they must of been wet because now my tup-adore is reading about 78 which it was about 72. I just charged the beads too. Well hopefully it will go down.. Good thing is my humi is going down, it's about 70 now, was 72. oh how I love it.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    spray bottle, that's an idea. I just fill the cap of the distilled gallon and pour. Though I just got a box of cigars and they must of been wet because now my tup-adore is reading about 78 which it was about 72. I just charged the beads too. Well hopefully it will go down.. Good thing is my humi is going down, it's about 70 now, was 72. oh how I love it.

I use a spray bottle also - it works great...
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    I have the hearfelt 65% tube...I haven't charged it since I bought it over the summer. Do you I need to or just let it be? My RH is at 68-70% right now..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    tankbonnies:
    I have the hearfelt 65% tube...I haven't charged it since I bought it over the summer. Do you I need to or just let it be? My RH is at 68-70% right now..
    If its holding 68 -70% let it be.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    tankbonnies:
    If its holding 68 -70% let it be.
    my 300 sits about there.. seems good