Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Guinness Black Lager

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
The bar down the street from me got this in a short while ago, and I finally tried one last night.

I tasted...almost nothing, with a dry finish. Yech. Anyone else try it? I had burnt my tongue earlier, so I think that might've been some of it, but I tasted my sandwich just fine...
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    I tried it a couple weeks ago, didn't care for it either. I did like the Foreign Extra Stout though.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Is this the new Guiness that is in like a bluish bottle? I havent had it but like amz I did like the Foreign Extra.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I remember having one awhile ago... I can't say I'll go out of my way to get anymore.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    not a fan myself. guinness to me isn't too bad, I lilke it but it's a bit, flat. car bombs are amzing though.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had the bl yet. But I do like Guinness. Nothing like an ice cold Guinness and a diesel unlimited

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It was similar to a Dunkle. OK, but I missed the body!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I was wondering how it was. I'll have to try it but now I'm not any rush after hearing that it's meh
  • Options
    Yeah, I should've mentioned I've like everything else I've ever tried from Guinness, especially that Anniversary one they put out a few years back. Love a well-poured Guinness Stout draft with buffalo wings!! Just wish you could still smoke in bars 'cause a Diesel would be epic to make it a holy trinity...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect much from it based on the fact that it still is a lager. They're generally mild to say the least. I think too many people are seeing the name Guinness and expecting stout.
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Posts: 38
    Ken Light:
    Yeah, I should've mentioned I've like everything else I've ever tried from Guinness, especially that Anniversary one they put out a few years back. Love a well-poured Guinness Stout draft with buffalo wings!! Just wish you could still smoke in bars 'cause a Diesel would be epic to make it a holy trinity...
    Although Guinness is my favorite beer, whenever I have buffalo wings or anything really spicy I always stay away from the it. Stouts usually have a lot of flavor as do the wings/spice so I try not to have anything compete in my mouth. Guinness isn't heavy but still has great flavor that for me does not mix well with spicy wings. If the wings are mild I could probably pair them with a stout. Imperial Stouts, porters and bocks should probably not even go near any spice. Way too much competition in the mouth. I usually go for a wheat beer, pilsner or maybe a lager even so I can enjoy the spices without adding another dark and complex flavor on top. I guess it is all subjective though.
  • Options
    ScottC:
    Ken Light:
    Although Guinness is my favorite beer, whenever I have buffalo wings or anything really spicy I always stay away from the it. Stouts usually have a lot of flavor as do the wings/spice so I try not to have anything compete in my mouth. Guinness isn't heavy but still has great flavor that for me does not mix well with spicy wings. If the wings are mild I could probably pair them with a stout. Imperial Stouts, porters and bocks should probably not even go near any spice. Way too much competition in the mouth. I usually go for a wheat beer, pilsner or maybe a lager even so I can enjoy the spices without adding another dark and complex flavor on top. I guess it is all subjective though.
    @Rob, I know what to expect from a lager, I certainly wasn't expecting a stout. I like a lot of lagers even though if I'm being honest I tend to prefer ales. Either way, this wasn't an expectation problem. My wife's Miller Lite had more flavor (none of it very good--sorry, Lassie!--, but more flavor nonetheless), and I tried hers specifically to see if it was my burnt tongue causing the problem.

@Scott, you make an interesting point about flavors competing, but I find they compliment more than compete. Maybe they do compete and the best of them win the competition, lol, I don't know. I just love the thick creamy stout (like I said before, properly poured!! it should taste like a beer milkshake...) to counteract hot and spicy wings. I wouldn't put them in my mouth together, but they're great in alternation...
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I just tried it last night, I thought it was good, my friends liked it more than I did but I really liked the beer I had after i think it was called chimay, that was a good beer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm glad I saw this as I love Guinness and was thinking of getting some. ---^ Chimay is some really good beer when you want to drop that coin on it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    I'm glad I saw this as I love Guinness and was thinking of getting some. ---^ Chimay is some really good beer when you want to drop that coin on it.
    what's chimay? a stout?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    It's more of a high end Ale. Some even call it a Champagne Beer. I've only had it a couple of times.

BTW, I love your avatar. I've sat here and watched it for 5 minutes one time, cracking up every time.